Donations
GOG.com
Sorcerer's Place Home | Chatrooms | BoM Rules & FAQ
Sorcerer's Place Stores: Games, Books, DVDs, Merchandise
(buying via these links & our affiliated stores below helps support the site - thanks!)

Have you liked us yet?
Sorcerer's Place on Facebook

Boards o' Magick BoM Blogs!

Go Back   Boards o' Magick > General Gaming Forums > The Forum of Holding > Fallout Series

Notices

Fallout Series For posts concerning the Fallout series of games (Fallout 1-4, New Vegas, their expansions, spin-offs and DLC).

PLEASE SUPPORT SORCERER'S PLACE BY BUYING FROM OUR NEW SHOP!

Old Mon, 15th Dec '08, 1:00am   #1
Caradhras
I may be bad... but I feel gooood!

Like: 9
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 10,422
Level: 30
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Junior BloggerBlogbieNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM Experienced
Caradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud of
Default Fallout 3: Failing Speech Checks and liking it...

Just a thought, but I'm beginning to think that failing Speech checks yields far more satisfying results at times. On most occasions it is better to succeed in which case you get extra XP and more rewards. Nevertheless failing is not without rewards of its own.

It can open optional quests, for instance in Moriarty's saloon,
Spoiler!

It increases both realism and immersion. From that perspective being able to convince anyone to do almost anything is less satisfying than having the satisfaction of failing to convince them.

In Megaton,
Spoiler!

Let's face it, if a total stranger walked up to you in the street or in a bar and started to talk you into something, it would be quite unlikely that you would agree to what he asked let alone listen to what he had to say.

With that in mind I think I'll enjoy failing my Speech checks in the future.
Old Wed, 17th Dec '08, 1:53am   #2
chevalier Points (Total)
SPS Account Holder
Senior News Editor

Like: 2
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 62,787
Level: 62
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryEverybody Loves Me!The Popular OneParty of FiveThree's a Crowd
chevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nice

Yeah, Speech checks no longer feel like a quest failed. Sometimes the results are even more satisfying than actually passing the test.
chevalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, 19th Dec '08, 4:39pm   #3
Caradhras
I may be bad... but I feel gooood!

Like: 9
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 10,422
Level: 30
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Junior BloggerBlogbieNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM Experienced
Caradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud of

I wouldn't invest too many points in that skill unless I wanted to RP some sort of guru/ self help expert (now that I think about it that would be a rather nice concept).