Donations
GOG.com
Sorcerer's Place Home | Chatrooms | BoM Rules & FAQ
Sorcerer's Place Stores: Games, Books, DVDs, Merchandise
(buying via these links & our affiliated stores below helps support the site - thanks!)

Have you liked us yet?
Sorcerer's Place on Facebook

Boards o' Magick BoM Blogs!

Go Back   Boards o' Magick > General Gaming Forums > The Playground > Fallout Series

Notices

Fallout Series For posts concerning the Fallout series of games (Fallout 1-4, New Vegas, their expansions, spin-offs and DLC).

PLEASE SUPPORT SORCERER'S PLACE BY BUYING FROM OUR NEW SHOP!

Old Tue, 13th Jan '09, 1:54pm   #1
joacqin
Confused Jerk

Like: 8
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 14,227
Level: 34
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnNew DeliveryParty of Five
Awards Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
joacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant future
Default Fallout 3 - Ammo and caps

I decided to play a stealth and energy weapon based character and it is working out decently. My main problem is ammunition though, I find myself lugging around pretty much one of every kind of weapon just to always have something to shoot and when I do not have ammor for my laser pistol or rifle I end up taking loads of damage and use up all my stimpaks. I just reached Rivet City and they had quite a lot of ammo in stock there so I pretty much spent all my caps on cells for my laser pistol and rifle. Was that stupid? I know you are supposed to have limited ammo and I do enjoy the fact that I can't just shoot with wild abandon but actually only being able to use the weapons I have skillpoints in half the time is getting a bit annoying. Should I just continue to spend all my money on ammo or will the situation improve further into the game?
joacqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, 13th Jan '09, 6:45pm   #2
olimikrig
SPS Account Holder
Distinguished Member
Mod Reviewer
Cavalier of War

Like: 33
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 4,558
Level: 21
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnHappy Anniversary!BoM Experienced
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
olimikrig will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to olimikrig

The situation will improve a lot; especially if you pick the Scrounger perk. But go ahead and use your caps on ammo since it'll probably take a while for things to turn around in your favor, and you won't have much else worth using them on anyways (at least if you have a good repair skill and won't have to throw money down that drain).
Old Tue, 13th Jan '09, 7:10pm   #3
joacqin
Confused Jerk

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnNew DeliveryParty of Five
Awards Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
joacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant future

Bah, repair skill is kinda pointless. I need to find weapons to be able to repair the ones I have and I can't say there are too many laser pistols or laser rifles laying around. I have sunk a lot already into repair so I will continue to do so but the extreme rate of weapon attrition is getting on my nerves as well. I should have picked small arms instead of energy weapons.

I do have the scrounger perk, I find loads and loads of 5.56mm ammo and other non energy based ammunition.
Old Tue, 13th Jan '09, 8:21pm   #4
olimikrig
SPS Account Holder
Distinguished Member
Mod Reviewer
Cavalier of War

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnHappy Anniversary!BoM Experienced
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!

Quote:
Bah, repair skill is kinda pointless. I need to find weapons to be able to repair the ones I have and I can't say there are too many laser pistols or laser rifles laying around.
nope, not until end-game.

Spoiler!

Quote:
I have sunk a lot already into repair so I will continue to do so but the extreme rate of weapon attrition is getting on my nerves as well. I should have picked small arms instead of energy weapons.
You should yeh

Quote:
I do have the scrounger perk, I find loads and loads of 5.56mm ammo and other non energy based ammunition.
Yeah energy cells aren't all that common during early-to-mid game.
Old Tue, 13th Jan '09, 10:43pm   #5
Merlanni
SPS Account Holder

Like: 31
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 5,399
Level: 22
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Feeling OldGetting OnPosting GodNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!
Awards New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!
Merlanni is a jewel in the roughMerlanni is a jewel in the roughMerlanni is a jewel in the roughMerlanni is a jewel in the rough

Repaired weapons are worth more caps. If you repair the things you do not use and sell, one pays more putting less pressure on the weight restriction.
Merlanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, 14th Jan '09, 7:45am   #6
joacqin
Confused Jerk

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

About that plasma rifle, I did some research and well I have finished that quest line. I finished the questline by convincing Metzer or whatever the guy in Rivet City is called who is looking for the android is called that I had killed the android already and showed him some part. Can I still talk to Harkett and get the rifle or maybe pickpocket or even outright assassination?
Old Sat, 17th Jan '09, 12:07pm   #7
olimikrig
SPS Account Holder
Distinguished Member
Mod Reviewer
Cavalier of War

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Hmmm I don't really know. I doubt a pickpocket would be possible, but it's worth a shot. Assassination might be difficult due to the fact that he is in such a crowded place, but then again. It might still be possible to go to the ripped off part of the ship. retrieve the info on Harkett from Dr. what's-his-name and use it to re-activate his memory and thus get the riffle. This is all shots in the dark though, I don't know.
Old Sun, 18th Jan '09, 9:11am   #8
joacqin
Confused Jerk

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

He does not carry the rifle around, oh well. I am going to play this my first game out the way it happens. I have yet to pick up any follower. I met Dogmeat, he joined me, he ran away to never be seen again. He is not outside Vault 101. I think he spent all of 30s in my party, as soon as I started moving he couldn't keep up until he wasn't there anymore when I turned around.
Old Mon, 26th Jan '09, 12:13pm   #9
Balle
Gems: 19/31
Latest gem: Aquamarine

Like: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 2,995
Level: 17
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Balle is on a distinguished road

i had the same problem with my energy guy, though i had a lot of money because i had a high repair skill.

and don't forget that the higher the dammage your weapon has the less ammo you use

there is also a neat wazer wiffle to be found in little lamplight
Balle is offline   Reply With Quote