Donations
GOG.com
Sorcerer's Place Home | Chatrooms | BoM Rules & FAQ
Sorcerer's Place Stores: Games, Books, DVDs, Merchandise
(buying via these links & our affiliated stores below helps support the site - thanks!)

Have you liked us yet?
Sorcerer's Place on Facebook

Boards o' Magick BoM Blogs!

Go Back   Boards o' Magick > General Gaming Forums > The Forum of Holding > Fallout Series

Notices

Fallout Series For posts concerning the Fallout series of games (Fallout 1-4, New Vegas, their expansions, spin-offs and DLC).

PLEASE SUPPORT SORCERER'S PLACE BY BUYING FROM OUR NEW SHOP!

Old Mon, 10th Aug '09, 7:41pm   #1
Death Rabbit
SPS Account Holder
Straight, no chaser

Like: 21
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 16,840
Level: 37
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!
Death Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fallout 3 Help: Steam Game, Windows Live Download issue

'Zup.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, and I'm still looking for an answer eslewhere, but I thought I'd get this going here.

I bought my copy of Fallout 3 from Steam. Game has worked great so far. This weekend, I purchased my one and only expansion/add-on for the game, Broken Steel, through the Games for Windows Live client. After the purchase, the game downloaded. Once the download finished, the GfWL client told me that it was installing the add-on, and when finished, stated that it was installed. The web site told me that to access the new content, "just walk around a while and you'll hear a radio beacon which starts a quest leading to the new content." Problem is, no beacon. I've killed dozens of enemies and spent nearly an hour just walking the wastes, and so far there is no change. My level is still capped at 20. Clearly the add-on is not registering.

My character is at level 20 and I'm just about to enter Vault 87 (thus, near the end of the OC), but I don't want to go any further if I'm wasting experience. I can't seem to find the download on my machine anywhere, and I don't know how to connect it to my game. Before downloading, I read the FAQ on the Windows site and it told me that all I needed for this to work was "an original copy of the game," which I have.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old Mon, 10th Aug '09, 8:14pm   #2
Blackthorne TA
SPS Account Holder
Administrator
Master in his Own Mind

Was Broken Steel not available via Steam? I'd imagine it's some incompatibility between the Steam download and the Games for Windows Live download.

Did you ask your question of the Steam support to see if there would be a problem?
Old Mon, 10th Aug '09, 8:18pm   #3
Death Rabbit
SPS Account Holder
Straight, no chaser

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!
Death Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond repute

I've been digging around on the Steam forums, I think I have a few workarounds to try when I get home. I was kind of hoping someone here had had the same problem.

Yeah, for some reason, only the standard issue of Fallout 3 is available on Steam. No DLC, no GotY Edition. Steam fans are petitioning hard for this to change, but it doesn't look like it'll be any time soon. Believe me, I would prefer it - Games for Windows Live sucks a big one IMO. Steam is excellent (also IMO).
Old Mon, 10th Aug '09, 10:22pm   #4
Apeman
Valar morghulis, valar dohaeris!

Like: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 5,227
Level: 22
vBActivity - Bars
Apeman is on a distinguished road

I had the exact same problem about two weeks ago.

What I did was first find the folder where the DLC was downloaded too. To do this, because it is hidden, you have to follow the instructions below.

http://forums.gamesforwindows.com/t/...px?PageIndex=1

In short you have to find the .esm file of broken steel on your computer, which is in a hidden folder. Once you found it you copy and paste it in the 'data' folder of fallout 3. Then click data files on the fallout 3 launcher and make sure you tick the broken steel box.

That should do the trick. Hope it helps, it sure did the trick for me.

As a last hint I recommend to donwload a simple mod that disables games for windows live entirely in fallout 3. It is in my opinion the most useless feature ever and even slows down your game. Who needs those silly achievements anyway.
Apeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, 11th Aug '09, 7:00am   #5
Death Rabbit
SPS Account Holder
Straight, no chaser

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Did it.

Fixed.

I'll buy you a pony.