1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is Dragon Age worth the hype?

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by hannibal555, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    The total length of gameplay doesn't matter to me as much quality of gameplay. I'd rather have a good 15-20 h game than a 30-40 h game that sucks.

I find to be somewhat arrogant to think their game is going to be so good that would merit a 3 part split of the story. What if it's a commercial flop and the publisher decide to pull the plug in any further games in the serie? Now they would look stupid :p

2. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Still Mass effect and Jade empire were short and sucked on the side quests. Both had silly combat.

So the track record is bad. I expect the worse and will wait, the same whit Storm of Zehir until it hits the budget bin. If the reviews are positive I will be tempted.

3. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    Mass Effect plays more as a shooter.
    Once I accepted that I had a lot of fun.
    The main story is excellent, too.
    I'd avoid the sidequests, though, they are mostly boring.
    I did exactly two and that's it :p. This way the end fight was more challenging as well ^^.

Jade Empire is designed as a fighting rpg mixup, so I doubt that it will have any influence on DA.So far I have yet to finish it *sigh*.

I think, Bioware will hardly base DA on these two games.
    I feared at first it might inherit elements of ME, but after watching some previews, I doubt it.At least not by combat design.

What I am pretty reserved about is the new combat system of DA (as previewed in various gameplay vids).
    I hope it won't end in a click fest a la WOW:
    press putton A, wait for cooldown to end (or mana to refill), meanwhile press button B, and so on...
    Something I don't find enjoying.
    Maybe it's just me, but I like to lead my fighter/tank to the mob, where he happily hacks away, without me worrying to micromanage him with a pletory of clickable special moves.
    My hope is that it's true what Bioware says about automatization of the use of skills, and its customization by the player.
    Let's hope this system will be enjoyable :).

4. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Let us not mix Jade Empire or Mass Effect into this too much. They represent a bit different types of CRPGs and both are also based in a completely different setting than Dragon Age.

That aside, the combat of Dragon Age seems to be like that in KoTOR or maybe even classic BG. It looks good so far, I am quite excited actually.

5. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  6. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Actually, from the forums, it looks like the heart of the reason is to co-release the PC and console version, so they're putting off the PC release until the console port is done. It makes a certain financial sense, only one marketing blitz instead of 2, but this game was THE promised PC exclusive for about three years, and then a 'PC first, ports after' game for about a year. Delaying the one to release the other at the same time kinda feels like spitting in the face of PC gamers.

On top of that, with the tactical focus, I'm not even sure how well it'll work on a console. As has been said, the 1st person perspective doesn't really hold up to tactical battles, and mass-select (selecting multiple people at once for one command) never really works well without a mouse.

7. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

the last couple pf games from Bioware where disappointments for me, nwn1 OC was such a huge step backward, that even obsidian haven't made it back to the standard of BG yet and they are on the third expansion to nwn2.

jade empire, pretty graphic but not one I played a lot,

Kotor, played through it once, wasn't impressed and didn't feel like doing it again.

haven't tried mass effect, but from what I hear, it is not really worth it either, so for me Dragon age: origins seems overrated. I'm not that impressed by Bioware, imho they live high on BG2 still. as for Dragon age toolset, rumors say you cant make your own modules and DA:O doesn't support multiplayer, I'm sticking to NWN2, as far as I'm concerned, Obsidian delivers better rpg's than Bioware, despite the many bugs.

ps: BG2 was shorter than most Jrpg's :p

8. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Equester, I've played hoards of JRPGs, and with the exception of FFT I can't think of a single one that was longer than my experiences with BG2 average to. Mind you, FFT was insanely long.

I agree with you on much of the rest, but this is a good portion of the team that made BG2 (ME had none of them), with claims of the same style as BG2, and video showing similar capabilities (selecting multiple allies for a group command, etc.). DA:O is my last hope for the continuation of good gaming, but it is still a hope.

9. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    One positive aspect of the delay is, that the PC version can be further finetuned.

On the other hand, I fear that the game will feel console-like.
    If I understand it correctly from the original forum, the inventory system is a list system, so that's already a downer :(.

10. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The crowd at bioware is not pleased. The regulars seem not to realize things. If anyone wanted proof that console is the number one platform than nothing will convince you if this did not.

To delay a game so that it will not mess up console sales. Right in the middle of the busy sason when people has to make a choice which game to buy.

I will leave the ranting for the people at Bioware. 71 pages whitin 3 days.

11. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I remember before they released NWN. Bioware went out of their way hyping it it. Calling it a roleplaying revolution, and such. They said you could import your BG2 character ( that bit was even in the trailer), you would finally get to play a drow-elf. And lots more. They pretty much lied, really. I bought the game because they said the story would continue the BG saga, I remember. I have no doubt they will do similar stuff now, to boost sales.

12. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Yeah, we forumites over there are not happy campers, at the moment.

Hannibal, the inventory is list-style, but I've seen that for PCs before. I don't really think things will feel too console-ish. I'm still betting this will be a great game, mind you. It'll just take longer to get here. And I'm more worried than ever about the future of PC gaming.

13. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    What? Now only they made a console port of it, they decide to make a simultaneous release? Meh!
    So, the controls of the game would have to be made simpler for the console, will this affect the PC version? I hope not!

I think the computer gaming scene is slowly dying in favour of the console. It's a little sad, I've always prefered computer gaming anyway, you can truly configure how the game plays (well, most of the time), and uh, I don't know I just prefer it :p.

Mind you some game are better played with a gamepad than a keyboard, but a RPG just need a keyboard / mouse combo! Just imagine playing BG2 using a gamepad!

I don't mind list style, it's kinda how you manage your file on your computer anyway.

14. Merlanni

Media:
    The financial crysis is giving them second thoughts. They are all scared and fear is a bad advisor. It is the other way around. I even say it is smarter to release the pc version in a timeslot whit less competition but before the summer holidays. If the game was released for pc in march a lot of feedback would have come, given them six months to get the bad content out for console. That way the reviewscores would go up. The fans like us will buy anyway, it is the art to get the casual gamer to go for it. During the holiday season everybody is releasing.

I will wait until I have a few reviews from places I trust. Not by the paid reviewers like gamespot which rate is based on the size of the ads, but by userreviews. Whit me. millions more wait those few days. No matter how huge your advertising budget is EA. The internet is a negating factor if you overhype. I miss the times it was save to preorder a pc release from Bioware.

So returning to the question is Dragon Age hyped. Yes It is in my opinion. I suspect they lack the confidence to release it on the date they intended, March 8. If it is as good as they claim sales would have skyrocketed.

15. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Actually many of the people who where directly responsible for BG, IWD, PST and so forth works for Obsidian :p

I think bg2 took me about 50-60 hours to complete, which is long, I'll grand you. but from Final Fantasy 5 and up until 10, none of does took me under 70 hours, 10 I think I spend +100 hours on, which is insane when thinking about it.

I don't doubt DA: O will be a good game, but I doubt it will be anything wild, with it's very limited toolset, classes and race choice. In my mind it is prety clear that Bioware now prefers to make interactive movies over actual multiple choice rpg's.

that said, I don't feel there is a complete lack of good rpg's. Obsidian have kept me entertained, despite their sad history of bugs, and that Polish company that made the Witcher are good to. And it was cool they released an almost 1gb big patch, updating graphic and adding new quests/content.

16. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    I think BG2 Took be 80+ hours my first couple of times through, but I tried to get everything done. The Final Fantasy games generally took me between 40 and 60 hours, also trying to get everything. Of course, I'm also a good tactician, pathfinder, and strategist, which means I usually don't have to spend much time leveling in JRPGs, or raising cash. My gametime relies more on how much total content there is, and there is a lot more extra content in BG2 than in any JRPG I've seen, which means game time varies much more for it than for JRPGs.

As for Obsidian, I've only played KOTOR II and NWN2, and I didn't think either was particularly strong, especially as concerns plot and character, and I don't see anything else coming out by them that holds much hope in my eyes. Small companies and Indie Developers (if they get anything out) still hold hope in my eyes.

17. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

try MoTB, also ff8 took me well over 80 hours, and I was no more than level 40 near the end. I am not trying to bash BG2 as I still hold it as one of the greatest rpg's ever, but it wasn't long compared to most JRPGs, and it have nothing to do with grinding levels, I have seldom felt forced to that in any rpg.
    you should try some of the old for SNES, Lufia 1 and 2 was insane, the second one is the one of the first game that had a random dungeon generator. it has the optional dungeon with 100 levels, random generated each time you enter, you had to do it 18 times to get all items (I never did, got boring after 1 or 2 times), as for content, it had tons more then BG2.

but each to his own. I think it is more of a subjective meaning of what adds to game, than actual a "which game have most content" discussion. I actually think bg2 had relatively few areas compared to many JRPGs, but it had often longer dialogs.

18. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I played Dragonage for about twenty minutes on the gamescom fair today, and I liked what I saw. My first impression:

Graphics are really nice. One peculiarity that struck me is that after a fight your hero and your co-combatants are inevitably bloodstained. NPCs react on conversation, that is, if your gruff, they're miffed, which suggests a satisfactory degree of game depth. Controls were intuitive. The combat system I didn't try to understand due to the limited amount of time. Given the tight window given to me (after 1+ of waiting) I wanted to see how the game looked and played, not how it worked. Anyway, combat was intuitive in the brief fight I had with a few overgrown rats. You can pause during combat, which is also nice.

I think I'll definitely get the game.

19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    We'll have a preview of Dragon Age ready in a couple of weeks as Beren has been to a DA press event in Edmonton and got to spend a few hours with the game... and he sounded quite pleased with it. ;) The NDA he's had to sign won't be lifted until September 4 though, so he's not supposed to talk about the specifics until then. But seeing how a certain other site has been spilling the beans regardless of the NDA, I'm assuming a few details here and there won't be a problem.

The blood thing is a bit weird though... OK, blood splatter, realistic responses - makes sense. But wouldn't it be more realistic for the characters to want to wash or wipe it off, at least from their faces, as soon as the battle ended? Or as soon as they got to the first stream or fountain (we could also assume that they carry some water with them)? I mean, you can hardly call a guy walking around with pieces of ogre between his teeth, hair and all over his face "realistic". More like a bad joke...

20. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I largely agree about the blood spray, and the weirdness of it, except for part about the 'realism' of cleaning yourself up after battle. To me it is disputable whether it makes sense to debate the realism of fantasy games :p and I won't open that can of worms ;) Personally, I find it a little gross, that's it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.