1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The torture debate after Bush

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Ragusa, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    My mom also gets Medicare, and she has seen no changes, but she has no serious health problems like your mom is experiencing. I'm very sorry to hear that your mom is ill, Old One. It always seems that when people need the care the most, is when they start seeing problems in their insurance. :(

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    coin: Nationalism has always been high in the US. Our politicians have referred to the US as "the greatest nation on earth" for as long as I can remember. Our children recite a pledge of allegance in our classrooms every day. "Unpatriotic" is nearly Orwellian in its current use -- anything that someone doesn't consider 'patriotic' is therefore 'unpatriotic.' It's a ridiculous use of the term. IMO, unpatriotic is borderline treason (and should be reserved for those cases).

Actually, nationalism had a huge sruge on 9/11 -- but it dropped considerably during Bush's second term. I think nationalism (as it is in the US) is a good thing.

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Old One - There's a very good chance that 2009 Medicare budget cuts were done by GWB, not Obama. I guess the budgets are done the year before (which makes sense). GWB did some fairly large cuts to the Medicare budget in 2008 (which went into effect this year). Here's the scoop:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/31/washington/31budget.html

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I'd agree with you had you said patriotism.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think both are negative phenomena that invariable leads to heartache. The idea that this group of people who live in this geographical area are very great will lead to thoughts that people who do not are not very great.

Nationalism was one of the major reasons both of the World wars got started and patriotism was the tool used to get the people to don uniforms and rifles and go out killing people with a different uniform. The only use for patriotism is to convince someone to kill or be killed and if you need to appeal to patriotism for that then your cause might not be all that just.

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Joa,
    I disagree. There's nothing wrong in standing and fighting for your country. It's something else when you start exalting your country, and inevitably, yourself.

7. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

@Chandos
    Ouch, sent pm.

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ragusa, ultimately nationalism and patriotism go hand in hand -- it depends on your particular perspective. I was using coins terminology and kept it as nationalism.

9. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    While I'm not too up on the numbers here, you may have to defend that one. Especially considering that Saddam's death-squads had a tendency to just randomly line men up in cities and shoot them, y'know, just for fun. I mean, I know innocents die in wars, and that these have been especially bloody, but I'd think a decade or two of Saddam's continued regime would put things on similar footing.

Actually, from what I've heard, they're basically there to protect their interests and that's it. They've stood by while 'politicians' hacked the hands off of anyone who voted against them, after all. I wouldn't say that's 'preventing violence' so much as not getting involved in other nations' affairs.

Yes, and it was nationalism and patriotism that drove the Germans out of France, Polland, and freed the Jews from concentration camps.

Patriotism (which I consider the same as nationalism) is a tool for rapid social/governmental re-inforcement. It can be useful and good if the society/government is worth reinforcing (even if that reinforcement can't be sustained in the long-term), or it can be dangerous and evil if that society/government is evil.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    http://www.iraqbodycount.org/database/

The numbers might shock you. They're at around 100,000 at the moment.

11. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Your right Old One, Dems are making cutbacks, possibly making required healthcare harder to get, especially for the sickly and elderly, but only because of the disaster Bush put us in financially... think on that... with no action, everything collapses, then they won't be checking on your mother yearly. Who knows, once were out of the crisis, maybe the the healthcare can start to improve again???

12. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    How can you say that? This thread demonstrates that the deeds nationalism drives people to, never help anyone. Things have only gotten worse, since the Bush patriotism upsurge.
    If I'm not mistaken, this form of nationalism has remained unchanged since the days of frontier colonialism. It's no different from Ghengis Khan keeping the mongol hordes united, by constantly fighting an enemy. Do you honestly believe that the United States will disintegrate from infighting, if it doesn't keep on going to war? What about the innocent countries that are harassed? By your own words, you just identified your own country as the greatest threat to peace in the world:evil:.
    If I were to suggest that this 'War on Terror' is largely made up, to serve these neo-conservative purposes, why would you deny it? because you actually don't believe it, or because your patriotism prevents you from saying otherwise?:hmm:
    Ehh, yeah. Much like a barrel of toxic waste can be used to poison polluters, so too can nationalism be a tool for either good or evil.:rolleyes: Gimme a break.:shake:

The proper motivation for driving out the germans, would've been self-preservation, and a desire to prevent future injustice. So the Allies used a bit of the same to combat the extreme nationalism in Germany, does that suddenly make it a neutral tool? Europe has learned the hard way that nationalism is never a good thing.
    Patriotism breeds hatred, bigotry, discrimination, separatism and violence. Citizens behave as their government tells them to, and this will only create a dog-eat-dog culture that makes any progress impossible:sosad:.

And before you start saying that nationalism is warranted in the War on Terror, perhaps you should consider if it isn't time to declare a War on Peanut Allergies: they kill more people.

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    And it was nationalism and patriotism that put the Germans there in the first place. If they hadnt been caught by an extreme nationalistic and patriotic fervor we wouldnt have had a war in the first place.

14. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

If the original colonists werent' caught up in the patriotic movement, there would be no USA as we know it today... it's not the term but the intentions that can lead to wrong doing...

15. T2Bruno

Media:
    Nationalism and patriotism are motivators. Period. They can be used to motivate people into doing good things (such as the cleanup following 9/11 and Katrina) or they can motivators for doing bad things (such as invading France). They will always exist.

I disagree with this:

Patriotism can be used to promote such feelings (and was quite effectively in WWII against the Nazi's), but in most instances patriotism is used to bring a community together for a common cause. Patriotism can be the cry to rally people to do things, but biasing is done by leaders. Patriotism is a tool used by leaders for good or ill.

However, patriotism and nationalism are the bane of anarchy. If you are an anarchist (or revolutionist), then patriotism is a bad thing to you, but not to those of us who oppose anarchy.

I have already stated the people who were involved in torture were not patriots. There is nothing patriotic about violating your country's own laws or the laws of the international community. This thread does not demonstrate the deeds nationalism and patriotism drives people to do; rather it demonstrates the lack of true patriotism and is a demonstration of people giving in to a lower standard.

Blades: A revolution is decidedly unpatriotic -- to the ruling faction.

16. Blades of Vanatar

In the end, it's the Victor's opinion that holds sway, not the ruling faction's... if we would of lost that war, the history books would of been written by the English, which i'm sure would of NOT depicted the colonists as patriotic, but since we won...

17. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Somehow I had the notion that patriotism is simply respect, love and devotion to one's home country, while nationalism is a stronger form of that that states that all other countries are inferior to one's own. The definitions that I have seen on the net do not support this reading, however.

Patriotism, in general, is okay. However, when it goes far enough to mean that all others are somehow less worthy - which sometimes is the vibe I am getting from certain demagogues, both here and abroad - then it becomes troublesome. It is similar to self-worth - it is a positive thing, but when it causes you to think everyone else does not matter it has gone too far.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Regardless of the term you use for it, I think it's pretty common sense. I think most people like the country they live in. I think most Americans think America is the best place to live, the French think France is the best place to live, the Germans think Germany is the best place to live, etc. Good or bad, I think that's just a natural part of the human psyche.

19. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    I disagree. Patriotism has been used regularly to further anarcho-capitalist agendas in the States. War is big business:money:, and without nationalism to motivate soldiers, very little profit could be reaped by the corporations involved.

Anarchy is a very broad term, with a negative connotation in popular use (just like communism). Anarchy can mean other things than simply the lack of an ordered state, it isn't necessarily chaos. But that's a whole separate issue worthy of a thread of its own.
    When you make the argument that nationalism results in a strong, stable and safe state, I'd urge you to remember Benjamin Franklin's well-known quote: "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"
    It's relevant, because nationalism encourages people to give up their civil rights, 'for safety and security'. Nationalism is designed by, and benefits only, the uppermost ruling class. Everyone else loses something. If you're lucky, it won't be your life:xx:.
    There's a big difference between pride moderated by one's own reasoning, and patriotism encouraged by everyone around you. Ask any psychologist about the effects of group behaviour.

20. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I'm of course not claiming that the French mission is altruistic in its nature by any means. I'm not sure to which country the "hands hacked off" notion refers to, but in the places where the French are present they tend to try and prevent escalation of violence since it usually hurts their interests as well. Of course they are smart enough to choose their battles and not get involved in hopeless civil wars that end up with high casualty numbers.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.