1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Did human beings land on the moon?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by a soubriquet, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Some pics of the landing sites from LRO.

I like the one showing the footpath the Astronauts walked :)

T2Bruno likes this.
  2. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Those are obviously faked. The resolution is awful - anyone in photo shop could have done that! Pah, and I expected better from you, BTA!:mad:

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Wow, NASA has uncovered evidence of a crusty old thread from 2003. I for one refuse to believe that these message boards existed then and I think all posts from that year have been faked as part of an insidious conspiracy.

4. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    MythBusters did a great series of tests of the most popular conspiracy theories: nonparallel shadows, the astronaut in the shadow of the moon lander, the footprints, the flag 'waving', the retroreflectors, and the moonwalk. The last on in that list was the most convincing, because they actually couldn't reproduce that moonwalk accurately using any techniques in standard Earth gravity. They actually had to get in a specially designed plane and fly in parabolic arcs specifically designed to produce temporary microgravity like that of the Moon. In short, that footage was not shot in a studio.

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I can't believe there is a thread necromancer worse than I am!

However, the whole conspiracy thing just . . . . tires me.

6. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Oh, come on! BTA's an admin! You know he's gotta be Grand Master of all forms of Necromancy, and probably a few other dark arts as well. :D

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nobody thinks those pictures are cool? I wonder how many trips they made back and forth to those instruments to make that trail! That's just really cool stuff!

8. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

They are pretty cool, but it's hard to see the actual rovers on there, even with the arrows... on the big pictures, they just look like another crater.

9. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I have always thought that, given the huge effort involved in faking the moon landings, the enormous number of people who would have to be in on the secret and then kept quiet for the rest of their lives, and the huge risk of being caught cheating, it would be a lot easier and safer to just build a rocket and a landing module, stick three astronauts in it, and send it to the moon. ;)

Drew likes this.
  10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hey, I thought those were cool...check your User CP page.

11. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Heh. Thanks T2.

Saber - If you look at that closeup of Apollo 14, you can see the white for the main body of the lunar module and then it seems like three dark lines coming out from the white could be the legs. Now, how it's different from a crater is the shadow; if you look at the craters the shadow is on the left and the sun is reflected off the right because they go into the ground, for the LM, the shadow is on the right because it's above ground.

12. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    That's no moon......

Sorry...it had to be done. :p

BTA, I think they need to send one of those satellites that Google Earth uses to the moon to get us some serious detail! Blurry shadows aren’t very cool.... Now, if you could zoom in close enough to see the individual shoe imprints, that *would* be cool! :bigeyes:

13. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    IIRC from the words on the page, these were just some preliminary pics before LRO achieved final orbit and they got the camera to its final calibration.
    I don't know if they'll get better pictures since that's not LRO's primary mission :)

14. rustycusak Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

yes there was a space race but those rocks could have been enormous or even the pictures doctored by the conspiracy theorists and the pictures were quite possibly taken by cameras mounted on the lander itself and there is gravity and wind on the moon deb...

15. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    You're probably being sarcastic, but in case you're not..

Google Earth uses sattelite images until you get to a certain altitude, then switches to aerial photography. You'd need to fly planes over the moooooon.

16. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Actually, between the Moon's massively lower gravity and thinner atmosphere, I'll bet you could do pretty well with orbital cameras.

I'm just sayin'.

17. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ...or cows.

18. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    The Boston Big Picture has a series of images on the moon and the landing sites. This could all have been done with photoshop of course, I remember the original Google Moon using cheese:

Mind you, some of that cheese is ©2005 NASA and not ©1969! What do you think about that huh?!?!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  19. mordea Banned

20. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Pssst . . . people - this is still an Alley discussion, not Whatnots. Knock it off already.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.