Donations
GOG.com
Sorcerer's Place Home | Chatrooms | BoM Rules & FAQ
Sorcerer's Place Stores: Games, Books, DVDs, Merchandise
(buying via these links & our affiliated stores below helps support the site - thanks!)

Have you liked us yet?
Sorcerer's Place on Facebook

Boards o' Magick BoM Blogs!

Go Back   Boards o' Magick > News Forums > Game/SP News & Comments

Notices

Game/SP News & Comments For general game and Sorcerer's Place news, including your comments on them. All the news items posted here also appear on our front page.

PLEASE SUPPORT SORCERER'S PLACE BY BUYING FROM OUR NEW SHOP!

Old Sun, 8th Nov '09, 12:41am   #1
Taluntain Points for Posts
SPS Account Holder
Founder
Resident Alpha and Omega

Like: 310
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 54,268
Level: 58
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnEverybody Loves Me!Wanna Share
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Taluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant future
Default Neverwinter Nights Premium Modules Pulled Down

Remember BioWare's downloadable Neverwinter Nights premium modules? Kingmaker, Shadowguard, Witch's Wake, Pirates of the Sword Coast, etc.?

A few days ago I somewhat accidentally noticed that all of their pages on BioWare's website, as well as their web store, have been removed. I inquired about this over at BioWare and learned that the premium modules were removed from BioWare's website at Atari's instruction. What's more, BioWare can no longer sell them nor advertise them.

Through further inquiries we've learned that this has happened at the end of August and that BioWare had almost no notice from Atari and had to remove the premium modules within a day for "legal reasons".

The modules that have been purchased and redeemed are still playable, but all support or further sales for them now rest with Atari.

The only problem is, Atari is not currently selling them, except the first 3 in boxed compilations, such as Neverwinter Nights Diamond. Oops?

We'll see if we can get some more information on this over the next few days...

Join the Sorcerer's Place page!

Last edited by Taluntain; Sun, 8th Nov '09 at 12:59am.
Taluntain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, 8th Nov '09, 12:48am   #2
chevalier Points (Total)
SPS Account Holder
Senior News Editor

Like: 3
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 62,855
Level: 62
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryEverybody Loves Me!The Popular OneParty of FiveThree's a Crowd
chevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nice

Big thumb down to Atari. I've grown tired of them. Pulling the plug on Daggerford, pulling the plug on Wyvern Crown only to reinstate it a moment later when stuff started stinking, pulling the plug on all other modules, delaying MoW by a year or so for DRM, releasing buggy, rushed products with cut content. What's next? When will their complete disregard of possible reactions by customers end, if ever? Do they not care at all whether we respect them or not?
chevalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, 9th Nov '09, 7:39pm   #3
Ziad
I speak in rebuses

Like: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 9,206
Level: 28
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Ziad is a glorious beacon of lightZiad is a glorious beacon of lightZiad is a glorious beacon of lightZiad is a glorious beacon of lightZiad is a glorious beacon of light

I think you've listed all the possible ways in which they've quite clearly said that no, they don't care about our respect. I suppose as long as we keep giving them our money that's all they really want. It's sad that we can only encourage the developers of these modules by also giving our money to Atari, who clearly care for neither the developers nor the customers.

I wonder though, if Bioware can no longer support the modules what happens if you try to play them? I thought the activation server they contact is Bioware's. The ones that come packed with Kingmaker and in the Diamond Edition don't require activation, but the others still do, don't they? I'll need to check Pirates of the Sword Coast when I get home.
Ziad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, 9th Nov '09, 7:43pm   #4
DarthMuffin
Gems: 4/31
Latest gem: Sunstone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 685
Level: 9
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
DarthMuffin will become famous soon enough

This isn't actually new, I think it dates back to August. I'm afraid if there was to be a new way to buy them online they would have announced it by now.

Atari has been shooting itself in the foot for years now. They were a big player once, but I think it would be about time for them to just die. They're like a TV show that jumped the shark.

Personally, I only played Wyvern Crown and it was pretty good. Daggerford would have been worth every penny though, I pretty much bought Westgate only because I felt Ossian had been robbed over Daggerford.
DarthMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, 9th Nov '09, 8:38pm   #5
Zebranky
Gems: 1/31
Latest gem: Turquoise

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 189
Level: 5
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Happy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieFresh Meat
Zebranky is on a distinguished road

They still play fine, and if you bought them in the past through BioWare's store, you can still download them. Bottom line: BioWare > Atari.
Zebranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, 10th Nov '09, 2:09pm   #6
MrSafin
Gems: 1/31
Latest gem: Turquoise

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 206
Level: 5
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Happy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieFresh Meat
MrSafin is on a distinguished road

Hi, this is my first post...

anyway, this is grave news. I just reinstalled Nwn after years to play all the official stuff for it and wanted to buy the premium modules.

But they are not available anymore. Can't we all try to send an email to Atari support?
MrSafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, 10th Nov '09, 5:22pm   #7
Taluntain Points for Posts
SPS Account Holder
Founder
Resident Alpha and Omega

Like: 310
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 54,268
Level: 58
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnEverybody Loves Me!Wanna Share
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Taluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant future

My guess is that Atari will release a boxed bundle containing all of the premium modules at some point... either that, or sell them via their online store. But given how slowly everything moves at Atari, just getting them into their store is likely to take several months.

Join the Sorcerer's Place page!
Taluntain is offline   Reply With Quote