1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Optimum PC upgrade for under a grand?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Death Rabbit, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Been using 3 500gb Barracudas for more than a year now. No complaints whatsoever, except that bad firmware fiasco.

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think the WD Caviar Black will be the way I go. I may bite the bullet, pay the extra $15 and get the 1TB over the 640GB, but yeah - I've read enough on the WD drive now that I'm satisfied it'll be a good buy. I'll just make sure to pay extra for shipping to make sure it arrives as safely as possible.

Thanks for the tips, y'allz! I'll repost again after I purchase. Probably won't be until Halloween or so, but hopefully sooner.
    :wave:

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, the order is in. Slightly different from originally spec'd, but a bit cheaper and more powerful. Waiting a month or two always seems to help! It is:

Intel i5 760 2.80G Lynnfield Quadcore CPU
    ASUS P7P55D-E PRO P55 R Mobo
    4gb GSKILL RipJaw DDR3 RAM
    1Tb WD Caviar Black 6gb/s SATA HD

...for a grand total of $545, plus shipping. Dropping Windows 7 Home Edition off of the list saved me $99, as I just found out I can buy a full Pro version copy from the University I work for for just $14. And the 2.8 Ghz Lynnfield CPU was only $12 more than the 2.6Ghz version, so I figured what the hell. Also, both the HD and the Mobo run data at 6.0Gb/second (most I've seen are half that). I don't know if that's just a gimmick or what, but I like it. :D

I'll chime in again later in the week when I get her all fired up. Woot.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    6.0Gb/second? Call it 'growth potential'. A nice thing to have in a computer :) Nice package. Congrats.

5. Death Rabbit

Media:
    This build will be my first experience with both a multi-core processor and an SATA hard drive. I understand both are far superior to single-core and IDE by a wide margin.

6. Ragusa

Media:
    Oh, in that case it'll be a difference like between night and day. It'll be nice. Enjoy it as long as it lasts :D

7. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Okay. Got everything in (finally!!...damn you, labor day weekend) and installed everything. The machine started up beautifully, first time. I must note that this is the first time I've ever built a machine and had that happen. I usually put everything together, hit the power button, and when it doesn't start up spend the next hour diddling around until I figure out what I did wrong. This time, first time's the charm (woot). I did, however, have a panic moment when I heard a sizzle and saw a plume of smoke rise out near the power source...but turns out it was just a dust bunny getting fried near a power connector, and I haven't had any issues since.

Rags, you were right - totally night and day. From the windows loading screen to full boot up, it's about 15 seconds. Game load times are VERY short now. In short, this is easily the fastest, sexiest compy I've ever had. And now I can finally play the copy of Bioshock 2 that's been gathering dust on my shelf since April.

Thanks, Chandos, for the Lynnfield recommendation. Works like buttah.

I can't believe how easy everything was to install now, too. They've really improved the design of the heatsincs, man. That thing just pops on and off like a Lego brick; no screwing, no jiu-jitsu. And it's WHISPER quiet. So quiet that the first few times I turned it on I had to do a double-take to see if I even hit the button hard enough. The loudest thing in my machine now is my DL DVD drive.

Now, the upgrader's curse sets in...my 8800 GTX is starting to look like the weak link...and I caught myself browsing GPUs at NewEgg last night. :) I am so hopeless. :D

8. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You will give in to your desires like we all do.

To strengthen your resolves. AMD's next generation of Graphics Cards are just around the corner. So pull yourself together and wait for the price war's next round.

9. Ragusa

Media:
    In your defence, even so you'll be well under a grand :D ;)

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Wow dude...vacuum much? :rolleyes:

11. Death Rabbit

Media:
    It wasn't from my house, Mr. Eyeroll. Like I said, my PC had been dormant since April. So in addition to lack of use, the chassis collected a lot of dust from my previous residence (an apartment with cheap drywall, and therefore, a sh•tload of dust). I cleaned the case out as best I could before installing the new parts, but obviously I missed one of the little buggars with my vacuum.

12. Death Rabbit

Media:
    I'm happy to report that I've successfully fought off the urge to upgrade my GPU. :D Everything I've played since the rebuild runs like a dream. My upgrade was relatively inexpensive, yet the difference in performance from my old machine is astounding. I really don't know that I could have done a better upgrade for the money. Just perfect. I can see me staying with this configuration for the next 3-4 years, easy (GPU is exempt, of course :D).

Soon I will pick up Civilization 5, so we'll see how everything works there. But I'm satisfied in not upgrading the GPU for at least another year, maybe two. Anyone looking for an affordable upgrade, I highly recommend what I picked up. Very cool.

13. Ragusa

Media:
    DR,
    you still lack an SSD :holy: They perform nicely. Really :)

14. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Oh I'm sure they do, they just aren't cost effective right now - at all. For the same money I paid for my reasonably-fast 1TB drive, I could (maybe) get an SSD with less than 50GB capacity. That makes no sense to me. 10 extra seconds of load time on average is easily worth the extra 900 or so Gigs, in my book.

15. Ragusa

Media:
    Admittedly, with an Intel X25-M you'll only really benefit when doing a large number of small file operations. Unbeatable. And loading OpenOffice is like ...*snap* ... that fast.

You are undoubtedly more reasonable than I am as far as computers are concerned.

On the practical side - I have three drives - one for the OS, one for storage, one for back-up. However, none of them is as fast as your 6GBit one.

16. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I also could not resist the taste of an ssd.

The silence, the speed.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.