Donations
GOG.com
Sorcerer's Place Home | Chatrooms | BoM Rules & FAQ
Sorcerer's Place Stores: Games, Books, DVDs, Merchandise
(buying via these links & our affiliated stores below helps support the site - thanks!)

Have you liked us yet?
Sorcerer's Place on Facebook

Boards o' Magick BoM Blogs!

Go Back   Boards o' Magick > General Gaming Forums > The Forum of Holding > Fallout Series

Notices

Fallout Series For posts concerning the Fallout series of games (Fallout 1-4, New Vegas, their expansions, spin-offs and DLC).

PLEASE SUPPORT SORCERER'S PLACE BY BUYING FROM OUR NEW SHOP!

Old Tue, 15th Jun '10, 9:20pm   #1
Caradhras
I may be bad... but I feel gooood!

Like: 9
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 10,435
Level: 30
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Junior BloggerBlogbieNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM Experienced
Caradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud of
October 2010!!!

More precisely the 19th for (lucky) Americans and the 22nd for Europeans:

And it looks promising indeed... Obsidian is tweaking the Fallout 3 system and adding a much needed Hardcore mode -a more difficult game with delayed healing (stimpacks won't work instantly in this mode), Medicine required to heal crippled limbs, Ammo with weight, water and survival.

That will make mods less necessary than in Fallout 3 (although hopefully the Geck will work and allow for some good old modding fun).

The game looks like it won't be centred on having a vault dweller as a main character (nice for a change) and from what I've read it will involve Caesar's Legion (that should have appeared in Van Buren).

Playing blackjack in Fallout? Awesome.
Old Wed, 16th Jun '10, 12:22am   #2
Erod
Gems: 14/31
Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Eastend Arrows Champion! Flying Plane Champion! X-Training Champion! Mordor Mountain Madness Champion! City Jumper: New York Champion! Big Uglies Champion!
Like: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 1,888
Level: 14
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Erod has disabled reputation

I was somewhat interested in this back when it was first announced. Not anymore though. Too much Fallout 3 in it and the combat seems even more ridiculous. But the final blow was the news that they are going to use Steamworks DRM. So no Fallout: New Vegas for me.
Erod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, 16th Jun '10, 12:34am   #3
Caradhras

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars
Caradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud of

It's probably going to be much better than Fallout 3 though. There are rumours that they may bring back damage thresholds into the game (that feature existed in the original Fallouts).

I don't mind Fallout New Vegas looking like Fallout 3 if they make it work better than Fallout 3 and work on making the story much better than the one in Bethesda's game.

It is no surprise that New Vegas is going to look a lot like Fallout 3 (it uses the same engine) but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

And after dealing with GFWL I don't think any alternative can be worse...
Old Tue, 3rd Aug '10, 9:49pm   #4
henkie
SPS Account Holder
Hammertime

Like: 6
Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 3,616
Level: 19
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Master PosterHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Awards New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!
henkie will become famous soon enoughhenkie will become famous soon enough

A shame about the DRM, otherwise I would've probably gotten it at some point. Well, depending on how it actually turns out, of course, since we've only got promotional material to go by so far.
Old Sat, 14th Aug '10, 2:28pm   #5
omnigodly
Gems: 17/31
Latest gem: Star Diopside

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 2,817
Level: 17
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
omnigodly is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to omnigodly

It's Obsidian, so let me save you the trouble...

The story will be so similar to fallout3 you'll wonder if it's the same game and then when you realize it's not, BAM - the monotone seer-type chick shows up...
The combat changes will be retarded.
Since Obsidian doesn't actually know how to write code, there will be major bugs they don't know how to fix and the game will probably be unplayable until January 2011.

:-P As much as I want to play another FPS Fallout (I liked 3 more than the originals), I have absolutely no faith in Obsidian.
omnigodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, 14th Aug '10, 9:53pm   #6
Alavin
If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 2,548
Level: 16
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements BlogbieNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!
Alavin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Alavin

I've actually loved everything Obsidian have ever done. For me, NWN2 > NWN1, KOTOR2 > KOTOR1 (except for the ending of course), and Alpha Protocol is probably my game of the year so far - soon to be deposed by the new Fallout game. I am slightly concerned about how buggy it will be - the Gamebryo engine seems to be bugged to hell anyway. Fallout 3 and Oblivion both crashed about every half hour for me, and Obsidian games are always exceptionally bugged anyway. Still, I'm excited.
Alavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, 14th Oct '10, 7:25pm   #7
Caradhras

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

I've just preordered New Vegas. I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer but there is no way I'm playing that game in French. Funny that with the exchange rates I actually save some money by ordering it from the UK. All I have to do now is wait...
Old Mon, 18th Oct '10, 8:49am   #8
wenchwogg
Gems: 3/31
Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 467
Level: 7
vBActivity - Bars
wenchwogg is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wenchwogg

I'm stoked for the game - tho Obsidian's track record isn't shining, I haven't hated any of their games. AP was a major disappointment but still not HORRIBLE. Enjoyed playing it.

I imagine this will be great. Keepin my hopes up