1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Caffeine ...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Beren, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A thread about the discussion of caffeine, health benefits, concerns, addiction, etc.

2. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well considering I've got a two litre bottle of Diet Coke sitting by me as I type, I'm hardly the most impartial person to have an opinion.... :D

3. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    ummm... I suppose Ill just copy and paste into here from the pot thread:

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    So the ironic thing is that it was my Pepsi comment that sort of resulted in the caffeine discussion starting; yet, I've been drinking caffeine free Diet Pepsi exclusively for at least a year. :lol:

I used to think I was a bit dependent on caffeine, but when I learned that I had early warning signs for diabetes more than a year ago, I switched to decaff soda AND decaff coffee.

The weird thing is, that except for a very short adjustment period, I really haven't missed the caffeine. I think that the caffeine stopped having much of an effect on me a long time ago, and these days it's the warm cup liquid in the morning that I most enjoy, or the dark, carbonated soda water in the afternoon. I don't crave the caffeine at all.

It's all for the best I guess.

5. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    I think that alot of people are more mentally addicted to somthing like caffeine or sugar or even alcohol (in weaker cases) rather than physically addicted, I was drinking atleast 4 cans of lager a night, but its more the sitting at the computer with an alcoholic drink to hand for me, so I switched to shandies and Im alot better for it.

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    LOADS of caffeine here. Can't function well without it.

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Trying to stay away from caffeine. Makes me feel bad and if imbibed less than six hours before bed time it makes it very difficult for me to sleep and my sleep will be erratic and restless.

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Man up.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

9. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Someone told me to man up and gave me a coffee when I said I didn't drink caffeine and it made me horribly sick.

Had a much milder coffee at another time and was just as sick, so I think I have a problem with coffee itself.

Have had energy drinks, don't enjoy the taste and to be honest I struggle with insomnia at the best of times and it doesn't touch actual fatigue :p

My step-dad however drinks dangerous amounts of caffeine. He works from 7am to 2am some days, it's just ridiculous.

10. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I tend to have two to three cups of really strong coffee or double espresso every day. One in the morning, one after dinner and another one in the early evening (or not). I also drink a lot of water in addition to that; especially with espresso it reinforces the flavour.

That said, I try to stay away from the office sludge they label as coffee. It's that in name only.

I have, sadly, almost abandoned tea completely in favour of coffee, but now that autumn has arrived that may well change sooner rather than later :)

11. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've never had a cup of coffee in my life. I also don't drink soda, so with the exception of the caffeine in an occasional chocolate bar I am essentially caffeine free.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Strangely, caffeine doesn't keep me awake. I mean, maybe it would if I drank half a pot of coffee right before bed, but I never did that. I drink 2-3 cups of coffee a day (mostly in the morning). Occasionally I'll have a cup after dinner. Assuming a cup of coffee has about the same amount of caffeine as a 12 oz soda, I guess I'm consuming about 100-150 mg daily.

13. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Nights I can drink coffee right up til bed time in the morning and go straight to sleep. Days I drink it in the morning and after dinner but eventually I get coffeed out. I think it does help to keep your switch on at night; days it's just more of a habit.

14. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

I was actually surprised how much caffeine there is in black tea, 282 mg/l according to Wikipedia. Considering I consume in the order of 3-4 liters of tea daily, that puts me at around one gram per day.

Can't say I'm addicted to it, though. Rather I like to have a warm drink while sitting at my computer, either home or at work. Tea happens to be tasty, sugarless (once you learn to appreciate its taste without it) and cheap enough to consume in such quantities. It also makes it rather straightforward to qualify for the KKK club*.

* = Finnish joke, "Kuusi Kaljaa Kusematta" (=Six Beer without taking a leak in between).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.