Donations
GOG.com
Sorcerer's Place Home | Chatrooms | BoM Rules & FAQ
Sorcerer's Place Stores: Games, Books, DVDs, Merchandise
(buying via these links & our affiliated stores below helps support the site - thanks!)

Have you liked us yet?
Sorcerer's Place on Facebook

Boards o' Magick BoM Blogs!

Go Back   Boards o' Magick > General Gaming Forums > The Playground > Fallout Series

Notices

Fallout Series For posts concerning the Fallout series of games (Fallout 1-4, New Vegas, their expansions, spin-offs and DLC).

PLEASE SUPPORT SORCERER'S PLACE BY BUYING FROM OUR NEW SHOP!

Old Wed, 14th Dec '11, 8:34pm   #1
Son of Imoen
Gems: 4/31
Latest gem: Sunstone

Like: 1
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 397
Level: 7
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Happy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieFresh Meat
Son of Imoen is on a distinguished road
How do I backup my character and savegames in Fallout 3?

Before my computer needed to have Windows reďnstalled when my motherboard broke down, I had Fallout 3 installed and just finished the tutorial, arriving in the Wasteland. But I couldn't find any savegame- or character-files I could copy-paste to another drive beforing re-installing Windows.

I want to start over again now, but want to make backups, just in case, like I do with all my games.

What files do I need to copy to a backup folder to be able to restore a Fallout-game after reinstalling?
Son of Imoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, 14th Dec '11, 8:47pm   #2
henkie
SPS Account Holder
Hammertime

Like: 6
Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 3,660
Level: 19
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Master PosterHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Awards New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!
henkie will become famous soon enoughhenkie will become famous soon enough

I was going to say they were in \Fallout\DATA\SAVEGAMES, but then I noticed the 3 behind Fallout.

I'm pretty sure Oblivion saved the savegames somewhere in the My Documents folder, so that's where I'd start to look. Don't remember exactly where, and I don't have Oblivion installed at the moment so can't check right now.

I do have some backed up saves for Oblivion, though. They have the extension .ess, so you could try to search your My Documents for that (or the drive where you have Windows installed in total if you can't find it there).
Old Thu, 15th Dec '11, 1:42am   #3
Son of Imoen
Gems: 4/31
Latest gem: Sunstone

Like: 1
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 397
Level: 7
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Happy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieFresh Meat
Son of Imoen is on a distinguished road

Yes, I found them. They're in My Documents/My Games/Fallout 3. I was mistaken about the reason I didn't have any savegames. I didn't have any from half a year ago when I got a new motherboard and reinstalled Windows, not because I couldn't find them (that was my reasoning in my first post, at the moment I reinstalled the game). Once it was reinstalled, seeing how easy it is to find, it dawned to me my reason for not backing up the saves must have been I didn't feel like continuing.

Back then (about the same time last year), I liked the opening of the game, but combat was hard, or so I thought: I escaped from the Vault with hardly any ammo left, I was wounded and had nothing to heal me with, and was staring out into a large Wasteland void of recognizable features.

But now I started again, it doesn't seem too dazzling anymore. For one, I did open more lockers and got several medical healing kits (can't remember the name right now), somewhere around 200 bullets in all (150 for the pistol, 50 for the BB gun). And I found out when you exit, there is a quest note telling you where to go to first and a quest marker placed on the map. So I feel more confident now.

Thanks for your help, I think I'll like this game.
Son of Imoen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fallout3 backup savegames