Donations
GOG.com
Sorcerer's Place Home | Chatrooms | BoM Rules & FAQ
Sorcerer's Place Stores: Games, Books, DVDs, Merchandise
(buying via these links & our affiliated stores below helps support the site - thanks!)

Have you liked us yet?
Sorcerer's Place on Facebook

Boards o' Magick BoM Blogs!

Go Back   Boards o' Magick > General Gaming Forums > The Forum of Holding > Warcraft & Starcraft

Notices

Warcraft & Starcraft For posts concerning any of Blizzard's Warcraft (WoW included) or Starcraft games, their expansions, spin-offs and DLC.

PLEASE SUPPORT SORCERER'S PLACE BY BUYING FROM OUR NEW SHOP!

Old Mon, 16th Aug '10, 4:29pm   #51
Cap'n CJ
Arrr!

Like: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 4,118
Level: 20
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements BlogbieNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!
Cap'n CJ is a splendid one to beholdCap'n CJ is a splendid one to beholdCap'n CJ is a splendid one to beholdCap'n CJ is a splendid one to beholdCap'n CJ is a splendid one to beholdCap'n CJ is a splendid one to behold

Chrono Boost is win

I wish I could use it on allies buildings in 2v2, though.
Old Mon, 16th Aug '10, 4:41pm   #52
joacqin
Confused Jerk

Like: 8
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 14,171
Level: 34
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryParty of FiveThree's a CrowdI'm Not Alone!Happy Anniversary!
Awards Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
joacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant future

You need three workers to harvest a crystal to the fullest according to a loading screen tooltip.

And yes, a zerg can get out a few units faster than anyone and if you catch your opponents with his pants down you will win or cripple him severly but by getting those early units you have crippled yourself and made it almost impossible to utilize the strength of zerg which is numbers. You need to expand early (which I suck at) and get those larvae coming or you will get beat. If you fail the early rush you will be so far behind that you might as well quit, almost as far back as if your rush had semi-succeeded.
joacqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, 17th Aug '10, 2:26pm   #53
Aldeth the Foppish Idiot
SPS Account Holder
Mod Reviewer
Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking

Froggster Champion! Gold Miner Champion! Straw Game Champion! Tubin Champion! Worm Catcher Champion!
Like: 29
Liked 54 Times in 45 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 30,243
Level: 47
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Aldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond repute

Finished the campaign last night, and I have to say I was rather surprised that there really weren't any last-minute plot twists. Everything happened pretty much exactly as I thought it would. I don't want to spoiler anything, but I really thought something would turn out unlike you'd expect, and I'm left wondering what they are going to do with the zerg campaign now.
Old Tue, 17th Aug '10, 6:40pm   #54
joacqin
Confused Jerk

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryParty of FiveThree's a CrowdI'm Not Alone!Happy Anniversary!
Awards Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
joacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant futurejoacqin has a brilliant future

Yeah, I was somewhat disapointed as well but then again the exact opposite result was almost as expected. Zeratul's visions kinda forced what happened to happen though or else everything is screwed.

As for my MP, and I must tell you Aldeth that it is very fun in reasonable doses is currently going way too good. Just got five straight wins in silver which if it continues might lead to me being promoted which I seriously do not want to. Just using hotkeys for different groups and buildings makes a world of difference in your game.
Old Wed, 18th Aug '10, 3:04pm   #55
Aldeth the Foppish Idiot
SPS Account Holder
Mod Reviewer

Froggster Champion! Gold Miner Champion! Straw Game Champion! Tubin Champion! Worm Catcher Champion!
vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Aldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacqin View Post
You need three workers to harvest a crystal to the fullest according to a loading screen tooltip.
I did notice that tip, but here's the issue I have with such a strategy. If it takes you more than 10-15 minutes to play a MP game, then gas, and not minerals are the limiting factor in production. Early on, yes, you need minerals pretty much exclusively, with little or no gas required. (Especially if you're like me and play the terran - I build nothing but SCVs, marines, and supply depots early on, and what all those things have in common is no gas component required.) Furhtermore, most units in the game require more crystals than gas to produce.

But consider this, the time it takes an SCV to make a round trip gathering gas, and a round trip gathing minerals is nearly identical. (For minerals, they spend a couple of seconds at the mineral pile, and for gas they enter the refinery for a couple of seconds. Add in the fact that you only get 4 vespene per trip, but 5 minerals per trip. So, once you are at "full production", you are getting the following per round trip:

2 geysers * 3 SVCs * 4 vespene = 24 gas
8 mineral piles * 3 SCVs * 5 minerals = 120 crystals

That's exactly a 5:1 ratio between minerals and gas. While I will concede that you certainly need more crystals than gas, you don't need that much more. Mineral collection outpaces gas extraction by such a wide margin that you quickly find yourself with a greater demand for gas than minerals. With 2 SCVs per pile it's about a 3:1 ratio, which is probably a more realistic goal to shoot for. The only reason I prioritize minerals over gas early is I need no vespene at all for my early production.

The main issue is research paths. Those things are vespene intensive expenditures, typically requiring as much vespene as minerals. Upgrades are also expensive gas-wise. The only way I can see you needing 5 times as many minerals as gas is if you build a force consisting of marines, marauders, seige tanks and medics. The marines and marauders require no gas, and both seige tanks and medics require three times as much minerals as gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacqin View Post
Yeah, I was somewhat disapointed as well but then again the exact opposite result was almost as expected. Zeratul's visions kinda forced what happened to happen though or else everything is screwed.
I had a bit of a different interpretation. I better spoiler this though, just in case:

Spoiler!

Hopefully, we won't have to wait too long for the expansion pack(s). If they decide to release the game as a trilogy, that would be disappointing. It seems like the development of subsequent campaigns would be easier compared to what they've done up to this point. You already have all the units for all the other races, and you already have battlenet up and running.
Old Wed, 18th Aug '10, 4:01pm   #56
joacqin
Confused Jerk

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

You can never have too many minerals, I acknowladge that you get vastly more minerals than gas but just use it to build zerglings/zealots/marines and are marauders completely gasfree? That is sick, terran needs to be balanced.

As for the story, who knows but you did see how she looked in the end I think the counter lies in what the overmind did to her and I think Raynor only gave her her own mind back. She is still a hybrid, dunno how to spoiler wrap so I tried to be circumspect.
Old Wed, 18th Aug '10, 4:45pm   #57
Aldeth the Foppish Idiot
SPS Account Holder
Mod Reviewer

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Marauders are gas free, but they cost 100 minerals whereas marines cost just 50. Medics are firebats are both 75 minerals and 25 gas.

To use spoiler tags type [spoiler] and then to end it put the / in front of the word spoiler.
Old Thu, 19th Aug '10, 9:06pm   #58
Aldeth the Foppish Idiot
SPS Account Holder
Mod Reviewer

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Spoiler!
Old Fri, 20th Aug '10, 4:44am   #59
AMaster
Gems: 26/31
Latest gem: Diamond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 5,913
Level: 23
vBActivity - Bars
AMaster is a splendid one to beholdAMaster is a splendid one to beholdAMaster is a splendid one to beholdAMaster is a splendid one to beholdAMaster is a splendid one to beholdAMaster is a splendid one to beholdAMaster is a splendid one to behold

Marauders cost 25 gas. At least in mp, and I'm pretty sure they do in SP as well, but maybe not.

Spoiler!
AMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, 20th Aug '10, 10:48am   #60
joacqin
Confused Jerk

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Spoiler!
Old Fri, 20th Aug '10, 1:58pm   #61
Aldeth the Foppish Idiot
SPS Account Holder
Mod Reviewer

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMaster
Spoiler!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacqin
Spoiler!
I'll take your word for it on the marauders - I cannot actually check in-game at the moment, but given that both of you guys play so much more than me, the two of you are probably right and I'm probably wrong here.

Spoiler!
Old Sat, 21st Aug '10, 5:45pm   #62
AMaster
Gems: 26/31
Latest gem: Diamond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 5,913
Level: 23
vBActivity - Bars
AMaster is a splendid one to beholdAMaster is a splendid one to beholdAMaster is a splendid one to beholdAMaster is a splendid one to beholdAMaster is a splendid one to beholdAMaster is a splendid one to beholdAMaster is a splendid one to behold

You don't have to check in-game

Spoiler!
AMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, 23rd Aug '10, 1:44pm   #63
Aldeth the Foppish Idiot
SPS Account Holder
Mod Reviewer

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Spoiler!
Old Thu, 2nd Sep '10, 12:41pm   #64
joacqin
Confused Jerk

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Finally starting to learn to play, I still suck but I am getting better. Love the basic mechanics of zerg, love how I can replenish an army almost instantly do not love that all my units die instantly if my opponent has any clue whatsoever.
Old Tue, 14th Sep '10, 2:55pm   #65
Fly2tHeSkY
Southern Comfort

Crazy Cars Champion! KABOOM! Champion! MindReader Champion! Monkey Cliff Diving Champion!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 4,554
Level: 21
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Happy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieFresh Meat
Fly2tHeSkY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Fly2tHeSkY

I'm guessing the majority of you guys (that play mp) are on the US server. Blizzard decided to be nice to us and gave us our own =)
Fly2tHeSkY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, 24th Dec '11, 10:59am   #66
chevalier Points (Total)
SPS Account Holder
Senior News Editor

Like: 2
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 62,787
Level: 62
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryEverybody Loves Me!The Popular OneParty of FiveThree's a Crowd
chevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmy Army View Post
What are your battle.net names?
NewbieOne, character no. 967, EU server. Gold league because I'm slow, in more than one sense of the word.
chevalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, 24th Dec '11, 4:40pm   #67
Barmy Army
Simple mind, simple pleasures...

Like: 16
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 16,417
Level: 36
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryThe Popular OneParty of FiveThree's a CrowdI'm Not Alone!
Barmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevalier View Post
NewbieOne, character no. 967, EU server. Gold league because I'm slow, in more than one sense of the word.
Gold league isn't a bad level to be at. It means you know how to hold basic cheese, and know how to play a bit. Top gold and plat is a big jump I think though. Leave a top gold/plat zerg alone to macro without constantly harassing him is an instant loss. It's silly how once a zerg gets passed 3 bases, they can just instantly remax. They will just throw 50 lings at one of your far away expos and think nothing to it 'here, deal with that'. The only way to stop zerg getting out of control is to deny their 3rd as long as you possibly can.

I'm currently trying to work out how to get into plat ><.
Old Sun, 25th Dec '11, 10:19am   #68
joacqin
Confused Jerk

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Bugger off! Stupid cheesing terran! The only reason zerg seems strong later on is that terran and toss are so used to quick easy wins that they do not know how to actually handle an even playing field.
Old Mon, 26th Dec '11, 1:18am   #69
Barmy Army
Simple mind, simple pleasures...

Like: 16
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 16,417
Level: 36
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryThe Popular OneParty of FiveThree's a CrowdI'm Not Alone!
Barmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond reputeBarmy Army has a reputation beyond repute

No, it's because the larva mechanic is broken and zerg units are cheap as hell.