Donations
GOG.com
Sorcerer's Place Home | Chatrooms | BoM Rules & FAQ
Sorcerer's Place Stores: Games, Books, DVDs, Merchandise
(buying via these links & our affiliated stores below helps support the site - thanks!)

Have you liked us yet?
Sorcerer's Place on Facebook

Boards o' Magick BoM Blogs!

Go Back   Boards o' Magick > D&D Games Forums > Icewind Dale

Notices

Icewind Dale For posts concerning Black Isle Studios' Icewind Dale and the Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster expansions. (Check out our IWD Online Walkthrough).

PLEASE SUPPORT SORCERER'S PLACE BY BUYING FROM OUR NEW SHOP!

Old Sun, 26th Feb '12, 12:15am   #1
dmc
SPS Account Holder
Distinguished Member
Speak softly and carry a big briefcase

3 Card Poker Champion! Balloon Shoot Champion! Bumper Golf Champion! Falldown Champion! Plumber 2 Champion! Rotations Champion! Towerball Champion!
Like: 35
Liked 126 Times in 95 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 17,103
Level: 37
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnReporterNew Delivery
Awards New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!
dmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Decided to Play this again

I haven't played this game in more years than I can remember. I have the original 2 disk box plus the Heart of Winter CD.

What are the recommended mods for this these days?

I have downloaded Trials of the Luremaster, which I believe contains the last patch, so once I install the ID1 disks, the HoW disk and TotLM off the download, what's next?

I imagine the widescreen mod is necessary and I am partial to ease of use type mods, but is there anything else that the community would seriously recommend?
dmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, 26th Feb '12, 12:43am   #2
Vladimirof
Gems: 1/31
Latest gem: Turquoise

Like: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 102
Level: 3
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Vladimirof is on a distinguished road

As an avid fan of the game, I really have to reccomend the Icewind dale NPCs project. I guess it's not a good choice if you want to create the entire party, but the banter is excellently written. Overall, it makes the game much more interesting. Link: http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/ind...174&Itemid=122
Vladimirof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, 26th Feb '12, 12:44am   #3
damedog
Gems: 13/31
Latest gem: Ziose

Like: 12
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 1,472
Level: 12
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Getting OnPosting ProfessionalLet's Talk...Happy Anniversary!Posting Guru
damedog is just really nicedamedog is just really nicedamedog is just really nicedamedog is just really nice

Ninja'd by Vladimirof.

Last edited by damedog; Sun, 26th Feb '12 at 2:58am.
damedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, 26th Feb '12, 4:40am   #4
Dr_Asik
Gems: 6/31
Latest gem: Jasper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 716
Level: 9
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Script WriterLet's Talk...Happy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!
Dr_Asik will become famous soon enoughDr_Asik will become famous soon enough

Gibberling3 has a FixPack, it's not maintained but you might want to check it out.

I find the Widescreen mod to not do a particularly good job with IWD, the UI looks a bit goofy with it. Whether that outweighs playing in 4:3 aspect ratio on a widescreen monitor is your call though.

Overall IWD with Trials of the Luremaster is already a highly polished game, so modding it isn't as essential as, say, BG1.
Old Mon, 27th Feb '12, 4:51pm   #5
T2Bruno Points for Reputation (Received)
SPS Account Holder
The only source of knowledge is experience

Like: 41
Liked 129 Times in 98 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 22,951
Level: 42
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Feeling OldGetting OnNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM Experienced
Awards New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!
T2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say the NPC project. I've been using it and it's not bad. Some of the interactions are annoying (an npc will just jump to an answer or state the obvious) but all in all it's not bad. The npc's are a bit underpowered although not too much so and you do have some flexibility in what classes to choose. There are even romance options.

I didn't have any problems with the widescreen mod and IWD.

Edit: Only rolling one instead of six characters was a bonus with the NPC project.

Last edited by T2Bruno; Mon, 27th Feb '12 at 8:29pm.
T2Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, 27th Feb '12, 7:00pm   #6
Blades of Vanatar
Vanatar will rise again

Like: 90
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 10,560
Level: 30
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Feeling OldGetting OnTrend SetterHappy Anniversary!BoM Experienced
Awards Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Blades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond repute

I believe there is a Fix or Tweak pack, maybe both, for IWD nowadays. SP and The Pocket Plane site has a breakdown of the mods with download links. I would try there first. IWD NPC project is pretty good. If you want pre-made NPCs with voicing that is.
Old Mon, 27th Feb '12, 11:24pm   #7
dmc
SPS Account Holder
Distinguished Member

3 Card Poker Champion! Balloon Shoot Champion! Bumper Golf Champion! Falldown Champion! Plumber 2 Champion! Rotations Champion! Towerball Champion!
vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars
dmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond repute

I went with just the G3 Fixpack, Tweakpack and Widescreen mod. Part of what I liked about the game (as far as I remember) is drawing up my own characters.

I decided to go with a Paladin, a gnomish F/T, half elf R/C, straight druid, Bard and dual class F/M. I dualled after F-3, so that he would have 42 HP and 3 *s in bows. Almost done with the vale of the undead area (just have to kill off what's-her-name priestess of Auril).

My mage is activated as a full dual class, pretty much everyone has a ranged weapon and a melee weapon fall back (almost all magical except the pallie). Got a little hairy when I ran out of ammo in Kresselack's tomb and insisted on finishing it rather than going back for supplies.

Having fun, that's for sure.
Old Tue, 28th Feb '12, 2:48am   #8
T2Bruno Points for Reputation (Received)
SPS Account Holder
The only source of knowledge is experience

Like: 41
Liked 129 Times in 98 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 22,951
Level: 42
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Feeling OldGetting OnNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM Experienced
T2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond repute

In the IWD NPC mod I got a paladin, a half-elf fighter/thief, a half-elf ranger/cleric, a a dual class fighter-druid, and a bard ... I made a dual classed fighter mage to start with.

I get conversation and romance
Old Tue, 28th Feb '12, 3:20am   #9
SlickRCBD
Gems: 18/31
Latest gem: Horn Coral

Like: 20
Liked 35 Times in 32 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 3,384
Level: 18
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Feeling OldGetting OnMaster PosterPaper WeightPosting Professional
SlickRCBD has a spectacular aura aboutSlickRCBD has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Vanatar View Post
I believe there is a Fix or Tweak pack, maybe both, for IWD nowadays. SP and The Pocket Plane site has a breakdown of the mods with download links. I would try there first. IWD NPC project is pretty good. If you want pre-made NPCs with voicing that is.
I recall that in the fully patched original IWD game, without HoW there were a few annoying bugs, but nothing game-breaking. For the life of me I can't recall what they were.
I also recall getting a fixpack that preceded the G3 one. I just checked my game and it seems I still have ease-of-use instead of tweaks pack, but I can't find what the name of the other fixpack was. Not that it matters.

Maybe I never reinstalled it when I finally got HoW.
SlickRCBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, 9th Mar '12, 7:25pm   #10
dmc
SPS Account Holder
Distinguished Member

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

So I finished it last night. I had forgotten how overpowered bows were. I wound up with my pallie using a throwing axe and the +2 defender axe (with a +4 axe in case something couldn't be hit with only +2) and everyone else had bows or other ranged weapons.

I reimported into a new HOF game, but it was way too boring. Thus, I scaled it back to insane and am running them to Kuldahar as fast as possible because, as I realized last night, I once again went too far before triggering the expansion forgot that once I beat Poquelin in Dorn's, I get Tported to Easthaven and can't leave. Blah.

I just figured I'd finish the game and restart. I would have restarted in just HOW but I wanted to see HOF. That lasted 10 minutes, but whatever.

It's pretty much exactly as I remembered - a fun dungeon crawl.
Old Fri, 9th Mar '12, 7:56pm   #11
Blackthorne TA
SPS Account Holder
Administrator
Master in his Own Mind

Bows are much less useful against the Drowned Dead in HoW
Old Mon, 19th Mar '12, 11:32pm   #12
Acrux
Gems: 8/31
Latest gem: Skydrop

Like: 2
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 1,127
Level: 11
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!
Acrux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc View Post
I decided to go with a Paladin, a gnomish F/T, half elf R/C, straight druid, Bard and dual class F/M.
That sounds nearly identical to the party I'm using! Except my F/T is halfling, and my Druid is a F/D.
Acrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, 20th Mar '12, 1:23pm   #13
Solaufein
Gems: 1/31
Latest gem: Turquoise

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 218
Level: 5
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Happy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieFresh Meat
Solaufein is on a distinguished road

Aurils Bane. Items, quest and tweaks!
Old Sun, 25th Nov '12, 3:04pm   #14
Ruben
Gems: 2/31
Latest gem: Fire Agate

Like: 4
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 174
Level: 4
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Happy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedBeginner Poster!I Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Ruben is on a distinguished road

Look here for an oversight of mod installation order for the biggest mods.

Last edited by Taluntain; Sun, 25th Nov '12 at 5:41pm.
Ruben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, 4th Jan '13, 11:28pm   #15
Nizidramanii'yt
Gems: 10/31
Latest gem: Zircon

Like: 3
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 1,318
Level: 12
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Nizidramanii'yt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Nizidramanii'yt

Finally had another run with the game to complete it after quitting years and years ago, and really enjoying it so far. As I write this the end battle is about to start and I failed miserably after the first try (it couldn't get hit?).

Went with the same mods as TS did, tweak and fix, but after learning the existence of a NPC mod, I probably should've installed that one as well. Oh well, next time I guess?

Too bad Gibberlings3 was down (and still is), or I would've learned of the mod sooner. But creating a party from the ground is fun on its own. Too bad my knowledge of the realms has decreased over time, as I found out my party configuration is a little suboptimal:

fighter, paladin, fgt/thief, fgt/cleric, elf druid, gnome illusionist

Made some stupid mistakes when creating the druid (longswords proficiency) and the paladin wasn't really necessary. Plus, I had bad luck with the rolls and he started of with 8 hp at level 3. Oops, not quite the tank I was hoping for, and it resulted in MANY reloads and the need to powerplay (rest-buff-repeat) where I wanted to roleplay the whole thing, but the game is ridiculously hard at times (compared with the BG's and IWD2). Or maybe it's just me sucking more nowadays. Oh well...
Nizidramanii'yt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, 5th Jan '13, 6:24am   #16
pplr
Gems: 17/31
Latest gem: Star Diopside

Like: 24
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 2,679
Level: 16
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Feeling OldGetting OnI'm Not Alone!New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!
pplr is a splendid one to beholdpplr is a splendid one to beholdpplr is a splendid one to beholdpplr is a splendid one to beholdpplr is a splendid one to beholdpplr is a splendid one to behold

Noooo

Gibberlings 3 is down (again?)

I thought they were back up but you're right.

I guess we can ask if anyone has a saved copy of the mod you want.
pplr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, 16th Mar '13, 9:30pm   #17
Bladezuez
SPS Account Holder
I am normal in my mind; it is everyone else that is crazy!

Like: 219
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 264
Level: 6
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Happy Anniversary!I'm Not Alone!BoM ExperiencedGraduate PosterBeginner Poster!
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!
Bladezuez is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Bladezuez

Gibberlings 3 is up. I was just there and they have quite the list for the game. just thought that you all might want to know that it is back up.