Donations
GOG.com
Sorcerer's Place Home | Chatrooms | BoM Rules & FAQ
Sorcerer's Place Stores: Games, Books, DVDs, Merchandise
(buying via these links & our affiliated stores below helps support the site - thanks!)

Have you liked us yet?
Sorcerer's Place on Facebook

Boards o' Magick BoM Blogs!

Go Back   Boards o' Magick > D&D Games Forums > The D&D Forum of Holding > Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor

Notices

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor For posts concerning Stormfront Studios' Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor.

PLEASE SUPPORT SORCERER'S PLACE BY BUYING FROM OUR NEW SHOP!

Old Mon, 16th Jan '12, 2:18am   #1
damedog
Gems: 13/31
Latest gem: Ziose

Like: 12
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 1,461
Level: 12
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Posting ProfessionalLet's Talk...Happy Anniversary!Posting GuruWriters Cramp
damedog is just really nicedamedog is just really nicedamedog is just really nicedamedog is just really nice
Default Any redeeming qualities to this game?

I bought POR a few days ago, and haven't had the chance to play it but i've read a couple reviews. It seems this game is universally hated. Before I waste precious time on a bore-fest, is there anything worthwhile here?
Old Mon, 16th Jan '12, 2:41am   #2
Rawgrim
Gems: 21/31
Latest gem: Pearl

Like: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 3,412
Level: 18
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Let's Talk...New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!
Rawgrim is a jewel in the roughRawgrim is a jewel in the roughRawgrim is a jewel in the rough

I can`t really think of any good qualities in this game.
Rawgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, 16th Jan '12, 2:56am   #3
dmc
SPS Account Holder
Distinguished Member
Speak softly and carry a big briefcase

3 Card Poker Champion! Balloon Shoot Champion! Bumper Golf Champion! Falldown Champion! Plumber 2 Champion! Rotations Champion! Towerball Champion!
Like: 33
Liked 121 Times in 91 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 16,961
Level: 37
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements ReporterNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!
Awards New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!
dmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond reputedmc has a reputation beyond repute

To quote myself:

Quote:
The game was unimaginative, riddled with bugs, featured a seriously castrated character development scheme, was unplayable without the mod to speed it up (and this from someone who cut his teeth on p-n-p and the gold box games, so let me tell you, I'm thoroughly comfortable with turn based combat), and did I mention the bugs? When a game with three patches still crashes to desktop on a regular basis, I don't care how great anything else about it is -- it sucks.

And last but not least, to expand on the lack of imagination, the majority of playing time was spent in a basically featureless, colorless dungeon fighting waves upon waves of boring monsters.
dmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, 16th Jan '12, 8:13pm   #4
Splunge
SPS Account Holder
Bhaal’s financial advisor

Location: In hiding after Bhaal became Lord of Murder when I had him put everything into subprime mortgages.
Like: 22
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 16,448
Level: 36
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Splunge has a reputation beyond reputeSplunge has a reputation beyond reputeSplunge has a reputation beyond reputeSplunge has a reputation beyond reputeSplunge has a reputation beyond reputeSplunge has a reputation beyond reputeSplunge has a reputation beyond reputeSplunge has a reputation beyond reputeSplunge has a reputation beyond reputeSplunge has a reputation beyond reputeSplunge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc View Post
To quote myself:
I love quoting myself, too. For example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splunge View Post
I love quoting myself, too.
See?

Old Mon, 16th Jan '12, 10:17pm   #5
Shoshino
Irritant

Alien Scum Slaughter Champion!
Like: 17
Liked 21 Times in 18 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 5,807
Level: 23
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Posting GodNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!
Shoshino has much to be proud ofShoshino has much to be proud ofShoshino has much to be proud ofShoshino has much to be proud ofShoshino has much to be proud ofShoshino has much to be proud ofShoshino has much to be proud ofShoshino has much to be proud ofShoshino has much to be proud of

looks like I dodged a bullet with this one, I bought it a couple of years ago, I wanted Icewind dale but the store didnt have it, when I got it home, there was nothing in the box, I took it back and was told they couldnt find it, so I walked out with Torment instead...

worked out well.
Shoshino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, 19th Jan '12, 12:53am   #6
SlickRCBD
Gems: 18/31
Latest gem: Horn Coral

Like: 20
Liked 34 Times in 31 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 3,258
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Master PosterPaper WeightPosting ProfessionalNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!
SlickRCBD has a spectacular aura aboutSlickRCBD has a spectacular aura about

I didn't think it was that bad. I grew up with The Bard's Tale and the Gold Box games, and I don't see the "featureless, colorless dungeon" as being all that different. Still, I'd have expected more variety in the graphics from a more modern game.

I loved "the Bard's Tale" and its' sequel "The Destiny Knight", and I'd say that those games were even more featureless than Por2.
The main issue is that the dungeons aren't much more detailed than the original Pool of Radiance game, although the graphics are still much improved.

I'm probably one of the rare few that actually liked it, but I'll admit that it wasn't as good as other games out at the same time. My main complaints were the lack of ability to choose your own skills and feats, and the lack of documentation on which feats/skills would be automatically selected. If they aren't going to let you choose, they should show you what would be picked as the feats become essentially no different than class features.
Oh, also the combat against the grunts did tend to drag on and on, and made you wish there was a way to speed up the enemies' turns while still giving you all the time you wanted to act.
The bugs didn't hit me that badly after I fully patched the game. Maybe it just works better under Windows 98SE than under an NT-based OS like XP, Vista, or 7.
SlickRCBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, 25th Jan '12, 11:11pm   #7
Skellimancer
Gems: 1/31
Latest gem: Turquoise

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 101
Level: 3
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New Delivery
Skellimancer is on a distinguished road

I am still miffed at the butchered Rogue class.

The type of game that would benefit from stealth and they don't even bother to add it.
Skellimancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, 25th Jan '12, 11:30pm   #8
damedog
Gems: 13/31
Latest gem: Ziose

Like: 12
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 1,461
Level: 12
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Posting ProfessionalLet's Talk...Happy Anniversary!Posting GuruWriters Cramp
damedog is just really nicedamedog is just really nicedamedog is just really nicedamedog is just really nice

What are The Bards Tale and Destiny Knight?

I've played this game once (with the speed mod, god they walk slow) and I had fun for an hour but wasn't entertained enough to try again.
Old Thu, 26th Jan '12, 6:44pm   #9
Blades of Vanatar
Vanatar will rise again

Like: 90
Liked 68 Times in 55 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 10,516
Level: 30
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Trend SetterHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Awards Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Blades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by damedog View Post
What are The Bards Tale and Destiny Knight?
An old school RPG series. Good stuff back then, though lacking by today's standards.
Old Sat, 28th Jan '12, 1:55am   #10
SlickRCBD

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Master PosterPaper WeightPosting ProfessionalNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!

the full title was The Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight.
They were games released in the late 1980s for multiple platforms. I played the Apple IIGS version of them, a rerelease with improved graphics and sound, making it one of the best versions. The Apple IIe version had MUCH worse graphics and sound than the Apple IIGS version or even the MS-DOS version. I'd say the MS-DOS version is somewhere in between the IIe and the IIGS judging from the screenshots.

Those games are largely responsible for my lifelong addiction to RPGs. The Bard's Tale, Curse of the Azure Bonds, and Final Fantasy Legend II for the Game Boy. Funny thing, I played CotAB and FFLII before playing their respective original games (Pool of Radiance and Final Fantasy Legend I). Mostly because they were gifts. Of course, if you like Bard's Tale, you should try the original Wizardry games. Grandaddy of all such games of that type. Bard's Tale is very similar to Wizardry in gameplay. Although Wizardry is more primitive in every respect due to far more limited technology.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/appleii/5643...destiny-knight
http://www.mobygames.com/game/bards-...destiny-knight

http://www.mobygames.com/game/tales-...the-bards-tale
http://www.gamefaqs.com/appleii/564328-the-bards-tale
Old Mon, 13th Feb '12, 2:34am   #11
hrothmund

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 97
Level: 3
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New Delivery
hrothmund is on a distinguished road

I rather enjoyed it.

It did have its flaws -- even after being fully patched, it still tended to lock up and random spots, necessitating frequent saves. Then there's the dungeon crawls -- you start out in this nice outdoor area, and you can see a wider world but not get to it. Then you have to go through a dungeon, which has four huge levels and takes forever to clear, before you get outside again. You break out to a wider outside area which is nice, but then you have to go into *yet another dungeon* pretty soon. That sucked!

Despite its warts, though, I thoroughly enjoyed the game. It had good art in places, good music all around, and good ambiance. It was the first game I played that used surround sound for ambiance, and it was nice. The long stretches of boring monotony were occasionally broken by scenes that were actually rather beautiful -- and they seemed the more beautiful because of the prior monotony. I was sustained through the monotonous bits by my enjoyment of the tactical combat -- that's something you don't really get from other isometric RPGs. "Temple of Elemental Evil" had the same kind of dynamic, but it just didn't engage me the way POR:ROMD did.
hrothmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, 7th Mar '12, 6:17pm   #12
IdaGno

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 461
Level: 7
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
IdaGno is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellimancer View Post
I am still miffed at the butchered Rogue class.
You're doing it wrong.

Man, I could write a small book about why this is my fav CRPG, but I will spare you that tedium. (Yup. Brown is my fav color!)

Current Wrecking Crew:

Cleric/Fighter (Human)
Ranger/Rogue (Halfling))
Rogue/Sorcerer (Halfling)
Monk/Rogue (Human)
Sorcerer/Rogue (Jarial)
Fighter/yet-to-be-determined (Emmeric)

the Rogue's back-stab feat makes even the seemingly weakest & lightly armored of characters stunningly efficient killing machines

first few times thru the game were extremely difficult due to poor character builds & equipping ineptitude, but once you get that down, it's Hello Kitty Island 101
IdaGno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, 9th Mar '12, 1:42am   #13
SlickRCBD

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Why cleric/fighter instead of cleric/paladin?
Old Fri, 9th Mar '12, 6:48am   #14
IdaGno

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 461
Level: 7
vBActivity - Bars
IdaGno is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRCBD View Post
Why cleric/fighter instead of cleric/paladin?
cuz I aint that smart!

many character builds yet to try!
IdaGno is offline   Reply With Quote