Donations
GOG.com
Sorcerer's Place Home | Chatrooms | BoM Rules & FAQ
Sorcerer's Place Stores: Games, Books, DVDs, Merchandise
(buying via these links & our affiliated stores below helps support the site - thanks!)

Have you liked us yet?
Sorcerer's Place on Facebook

Boards o' Magick BoM Blogs!

Go Back   Boards o' Magick > General Gaming Forums > The Forum of Holding > Final Fantasy Series

Notices

Final Fantasy Series For posts concerning any of the Final Fantasy games and their spin-offs.

PLEASE SUPPORT SORCERER'S PLACE BY BUYING FROM OUR NEW SHOP!

Old Fri, 13th Feb '04, 1:35pm   #1
Viking
Gems: 19/31
Latest gem: Aquamarine

Like: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 2,924
Level: 17
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Viking is on a distinguished road

Since Final Fantasy has reared it's head a lot recently, and I'm now gonna go back to play the two I've got (VII + VIII), please rate the ones you've played and also state which platform this was on.

Personally, FF7 absolutely is one of the best games ever. FF8 I kinda lost interest for whatever reason (Might have been my first BG adventure ) so I will try it again, though I might well not get through it this time either.

Down side - Might have to buy another telly since my GF will probably have words about me taking up the living room one with console gaming again. All my recent stuff has been PC.

Still, crack on -> FF games which and how good.
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, 13th Feb '04, 2:38pm   #2
Equester
I'm an old man?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 2,666
Level: 16
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Equester will become famous soon enough

FF1 remake for wonderswan, but out for psone. okay game if you don't like stories, cause there is none. but kinda fun if you read 8bit theater.

ff2 remake for wonderswan, but out for psone. haven't really played it yet, but it seams okay.

ff3. haven't got couse you can't get in Denmark . okay got a emu version of it for pc, but haven't played it yet. its the first ff that uses the job system.

ff4(ff2 in us)this game were made in 2 version an easy and a hard, the easy one made it to the us known as ff2. the hard one , is the one you get in the remake for psone which I got and I have a cracked version of the hard one for PC. this is a great game, you have to play it.

ff5. got for pc and for psone, its one f my favorit games, because it uses the job system and has a great story.

ff6. The best game ever. again i have it both for pc and psone. it has the best story, its so deep. and I love all the characters. I can't really say how good it is.

ff7. psone. almost as good as ff6 and that says a lot. plus it has sephiroth.

ff8. psone. if it wasn't a ff game, i would say it was okay, but since it is, I HATE it. the characters are boring and so is the story. the only cool thing is the junction system, but overall this game is the worst ff. I liked ff 1 more...okay that's a lie, but hay

ff9. psone. since i love the anime like graphic, and the story, even if it's kinda like ff7, I would say its one of the best ff and one of the best games.

FF10. ps2. the graphic is superp and the grid system is quit fun. and the story is overall very good, although parts of it sucks. but overall I like it alot. cant wait to get x-2, which has the job system.

ff tactics. never made it to Denmark....I got to have it someday.

ff tactics advance. gba emu. yes i got it the illegal way muhahaha. but i don't like it that much. the story is okay, but the battles are just to slow.

ff adventure aka seiken dentetsu 1. gb. not really a ff, but actually the first secret of mana game. but they changed the name in US and Europe so it would sell better. but still an okay game.

FF saga 1-3. gb, same as above, these games belongs to the Saga series, not ff. but are okay games never the less.

ff mystic quest. snes. again not a real ff, in japan its only known as mystic quest and it sucks big time.

[ February 14, 2004, 12:54: Message edited by: Equester ]
Equester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, 13th Feb '04, 3:07pm   #3
Shura
Gems: 25/31
Latest gem: Moonbar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 5,163
Level: 22
vBActivity - Bars
Shura is on a distinguished road

In my opionion:

Top 3: FF4, FF6, and FF7

I simply couldn't get engrossed in FF8 because of its tedious and clumsy junction system and an idiotic minigame that was a requisite for completion. Besides, the main character gives goths a bad name.

FF9 was better, but it still seemed underwhelming in comparison to FF8. It's still a great game, though. Enjoyable story, lively characters, hilariously inexplicable plot elements. But it just didn't live up to the legacy left behind by other games.

FFX: Awesome graphics and gameplay. The story, howwever, was totally baffling. I guess I'll have to play this game again sometime later.

FF tactics: An incredible game. However, the translation is horrible, which ruins the experience of playing this potential master piece. A certain NPC who is fairly easily recruited unbalances the entire game as well: Orlandu. If you want any semblance of a challenge in this game, don't recruit him. I beat the final boss with this guy in roughly three combat turns single-handedly while the main character and the rest of the party hung back and played FF tactics on their gameboys.
Shura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, 13th Feb '04, 3:17pm   #4
Godofredo
Gems: 1/31
Latest gem: Turquoise

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 430
Level: 7
vBActivity - Bars
Godofredo is on a distinguished road

My Final Fantasy Top 3:
1# Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
2# Final Fantasy VII
3# Final Fantasy Tactics
Godofredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, 13th Feb '04, 4:02pm   #5
Duke Eltan
Gems: 14/31
Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 1,795
Level: 14
vBActivity - Bars
Duke Eltan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Duke Eltan

#1: FF VII
#2: FF X

I haven´t played the others that much, except FF I. But that was way back and I dont remember much of it. Looking forward to FF CC.
Duke Eltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, 14th Feb '04, 1:28am   #6
Blog
Gems: 23/31
Latest gem: Black Opal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 4,086
Level: 20
vBActivity - Bars
Blog is on a distinguished road

FF1 - On NES. The randomness makes it hard. You could powergame through it the same way two times and succeed once and fail the other.

After this my numbering is screwed up...

FF2 - never played it.

FF4 - The one with Cecil the Dark knight convert to paladin. This is the typical FF RPG. A hierarchy of bad guys, characters sacrificing themselves, etc... such themes that arise in the later FF series all come from here.

FF5 - The one with Jobs and Giglamesh. That said, I really like this one.

FF3/6 - The one with LOTS of party members. Not too fond of this game, but that's partly because I played this after FF7 and had high expectations. With so many characters, I never did get to know all of them.

FF7 - Probably my favorite. Good story and characters, fun mini-games.

FF8 - The best part was the FMV's. The plot dulls down after the you get into the game. I didn't like the characters very much.

FF9 - Seen it, haven't played it.

FFX - Watched the whole game, didn't really play it. So great storyline, but no comment on game play.

Summary: Top 3 for me are FF7, FF5, FFX
Blog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, 14th Feb '04, 1:49pm   #7
Wordplay
Est unusquisque faber ipsae suae fortunae

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 7,482
Level: 26
vBActivity - Bars
Wordplay has disabled reputation

Final Fantasy 6 (and BG2 ) is the best RPG I know, but pretty much every other part of the serie is a) aimed for children, or b) just plain rubbish. Excluding FF7, which actually had a pretty good system and story -shame that it allowed only 3 characters to battle
Wordplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, 14th Feb '04, 2:34pm   #8
Oxymore
Gems: 13/31
Latest gem: Ziose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 1,669
Level: 13
vBActivity - Bars
Oxymore is on a distinguished road

The only FF game I ever played was #8 (for PC).

Combat system: okay, I guess.
Characters: okay for the most part, I guess.
Movies: okay, I guess.
Music: unbearable, no guess.
Plot: I completely lost interest shortly after CD2, never actually finishing the game.
Oxymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, 15th Feb '04, 3:30am   #9
Malovae
Gems: 18/31
Latest gem: Horn Coral

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 2,620
vBActivity - Bars
Malovae is on a distinguished road

#8's characters were awful

The best for me were #7 and #10.

Can't wait for FF X - 2, which should be out on the 26th of this month

Never completed #9 but it was OK now I think back to it.
Malovae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, 15th Feb '04, 3:48am   #10
a soubriquet
Gems: 5/31
Latest gem: Andar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 731
Level: 9
vBActivity - Bars
a soubriquet is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to a soubriquet Send a message via Yahoo to a soubriquet

The top FF games, IMHO, are FFIX, FFX, FF2.

Final Fantasy I isn't very good; it's very shallow. The only good part was the randomness, which was the best out of any other FF game. - Emulated on computer, sadly.

Final Fantasy II is quite a big step-up story-wise compared to FFI, but still nothing fantastic. Final Fantasy Origins, which includes FFI & FFII, was a good buy at $15 for PS.

Haven't played FFIII-FVI, though I'm looking for FFVI; looked very good.

I haven't really played much of FFVII, but that will probably change soon. I've seen parts of it, however, and it looks good. - PS; I played the demo on the computer it had a bunch of blocks that looked like a brick wall (except for color) covering the entire screen the entire time. Turned me off.

FFVIII I didn't think was as bad as people on the boards seem to think it was. Some of the parts of the story were quite good. Not all of it, admittedly, but some of it. Exciting opening sequence. Liked the card game, but FFIX's was better. - PS

FFIX was really good, and the best one I've played so far. The story was very good, the character development was good, especially for some characters, and the card game was great, I thought. - PS

FFX was easily the best graphics-wise. It had a decent story, though good character development (again for some, not all). The minigame, Blitzball IIRC, was very addicting, but got too easy once you hit around level 50 with each player.

FFX-2 was awful. Shallow story, weird "Dress-spheres" The characters lacked personality, for the most part, especially if you haven't played or completed FFX.

FFXI I haven't really gotten around to playing since my parents say they aren't going to pay for the online service Not cool on their part. It looks interesting, but I think it will turn into ALFA - too power-gaming, after a few months. People always ruin the good things, it seems.

All of them have a good music, I thought, though they all use the same, basic battle music, which gets fairly old after awhile.
a soubriquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, 15th Feb '04, 12:10pm   #11
Alavin
If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 2,534
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements BlogbieNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!
Alavin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Alavin

The only one I ever played was FF1, and only because I read 8-bit theatre, and decided I wanted to be Black Mage. He's great.
Alavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, 15th Feb '04, 5:20pm   #12
Wordplay
Est unusquisque faber ipsae suae fortunae

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 7,482
Level: 26
vBActivity - Bars
Wordplay has disabled reputation

Quote:
ff9. psone. since i love the anime like graphic, and the story, even if it's kinda like ff7, I would say its one of the best ff and one of the best games.
Quote:
FFIX was really good, and the best one I've played so far. The story was very good, the character development was good, especially for some characters, and the card game was great, I thought. - PS
And I was almost ready to throw up because of the fact how banal those characters were and how repetative the battles got. Go figure.
Wordplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, 18th Feb '04, 6:56pm   #13
Jesper898
A good surfacer is a dead surfacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 3,123
Level: 18
vBActivity - Bars
Jesper898 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Jesper898

Final Fantasy 1(origins): 8/10

Final Fantasy 2(origins): 7/10

Final Fantasy 3(Haven't played yet, but I got a ROM)

Final Fantasy 4: 8/10

Final Fantasy 5(haven't played yet, but I got it on playstation)

Final Fantasy 6: 8/10

Final Fantasy 7: 10/10

Final Fantasy 8: 9.5/10

Final Fantasy 9: 9.5/10

Final Fantasy 10: 10/10

Final Fantasy 10-2: 9.5/10

Final Fantasy 11: 7.5/10

Final Fantasy Tactics( Haven't played yet, but I ordered it from the internet, should be any day now)
Jesper898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, 18th Feb '04, 8:48pm   #14
Shura
Gems: 25/31
Latest gem: Moonbar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 5,163
vBActivity - Bars
Shura is on a distinguished road

@ Jasper: Tactics has an awesome storyline and great gameplay. But be prepared to laugh your guts out at the horrendous translation.

"Master of all swords! Cut Energy! Night Sword!"

"Burning anger rising! Fist of righteousness! Wave Fist!"

Or something like that.
Shura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, 18th Feb '04, 9:23pm   #15
Abomination
Gems: 26/31
Latest gem: Diamond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 5,341
vBActivity - Bars
Abomination is on a distinguished road

FFIX was my favourite (don't hurt me )
I loved the setting and the 4 characters for combat. 5 of the characters were interesting and deserved applause (PC, Dagger/Garnet, Steiner, Vivi and summoner child) however the other 3 were boring fillers.

I really enjoyed the magic system (learning from items equipped) and the graphics, although not as realistic as VIII and X, were very fun.
Abomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, 19th Feb '04, 6:18pm   #16
JSBB
Titan of the Tundra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 8,608
Level: 27
vBActivity - Bars
JSBB is on a distinguished road

I have only played 1,4,6,7, and 8. Of those I would say that 6 is the best (I would say that 6 is the best console game ever) followed by 7 (my second favorite console game ever), 1, 4 and then 8.

I would still say that eight is a pretty good game taken in and of itself, it just suffers in comparison to the other Final Fantasy games. It took me a while to get used to it but after a couple hours I found it quite enjoyable.
JSBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, 21st Feb '04, 3:36am   #17
Jesper898
A good surfacer is a dead surfacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 3,123
vBActivity - Bars
Jesper898 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Jesper898

@Shura: Yeah, nothing like bad translation
Jesper898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, 23rd Feb '04, 2:09pm   #18
Viking
Gems: 19/31
Latest gem: Aquamarine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 2,924
Level: 17
vBActivity - Bars
Viking is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.

Just bought 4/5 - Anthology and 10. Should keep me busy for a few evenings
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, 14th Nov '11, 8:51pm   #19
Ryginar
Gems: 1/31
Latest gem: Turquoise

Like: 4
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 130
Level: 4
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Happy Anniversary!A Little Bird Told MeBoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Ryginar is on a distinguished road

Final Fantasy 5 will always have a special place in my heart. My favorites thus far is the one that I just mentioned, second is Final Fantasy 7, then 8.
Old Sun, 15th Jan '12, 10:26pm   #20
henkie
SPS Account Holder
Hammertime

Like: 3
Liked 32 Times in 27 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 3,224
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Master PosterHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Awards New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!
henkie will become famous soon enoughhenkie will become famous soon enough

Funny to see such an old thread being necro'd in such a new subforum.

As for FF, I looked at a Let's Play (that is, someone else playing through the game and recording this to show to a wider public) of FFX, and after half an hour or so I was already disgusted with the main character. Why do these jRPGs always have such total twats as main characters? Generally it takes just the intro for me to make me want to play as the bad guy just so I can kill the whiny twat that is the main character.
Old Mon, 16th Jan '12, 3:14pm   #21
Paracelsi
Gems: 15/31
Latest gem: Waterstar

Like: 8
Liked 48 Times in 44 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 1,678
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements I'm Not Alone!Posting ProfessionalPosting GuruHappy Anniversary!Writers Cramp
Awards Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Paracelsi will become famous soon enoughParacelsi will become famous soon enough

Tidus is annoying, but his cheery persona helps balance the darker theme of FFX as well as the moods of the other characters (except Wakka, Wakka annoys me more).
Tidus is an abberation - he doesn't really -spoiler- and is a last-ditch attempt by the powers that be to save the world from a cycle of destruction (this is the general theme of FFX - cycles of death, religion, revenge, addiction, destruction, (dark) rebirth, etc). He was sent to Spira out of desperation, since all the classic/cooler main NPC's sent before him have failed (you'll have to read more spoilers about Sin to find out why).
Paracelsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, 16th Jan '12, 11:10pm   #22
Déise
I am both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Like: 1
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 1,715
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Happy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieFresh Meat
Déise is just really niceDéise is just really niceDéise is just really niceDéise is just really nice

The marketing suits won't allow any messing with the "formula" as it's too risky. FFXII's director left due to "poor health" as management forced through a bunch of changes including replacing the main character. "Balthier was sidelined to make way for Vaan, a composite creation made of teen girl dreams and marketing man visions,vanilla to the bone." I'm at the end of XII at the moment and it really feels as though it's almost a grown up game. It was butchered and rushed together at the end though. And Vaan is terrible. Completely bland and almost irrelevant to the story. You're left wondering how on earth he's the lead. It's curious trait of FF having weak leads though. Generally the characterisation is the strongest point of the games I think.

I'm just about to enter the last area and trying to decide whether to do the sidequests or just finish the bloody thing. I'm not sure I have the patience for all the toing and froing that involves. And sod anything that requires grinding. I actually haven't touched it in about two months or so as I make up my mind. After getting used to PC games I really miss being able to save anytime. Playing for half an hour before bed isn't much good if I don't end up being able to save for over an hour.
Déise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, 26th Mar '12, 12:43am   #23
Nizidramanii'yt
Gems: 10/31
Latest gem: Zircon

Like: 3
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 1,290
Level: 12
vBActivity - Bars
Nizidramanii'yt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Nizidramanii'yt

I have only played:

5: Gets a solid 9. Decent storyline with awesome gameplay (the job system was excellent). Played on ROM as it wasn't in PAL I believe.

10: Meh storyline that didn't drag me along at all. Rest of the game was decent. Never finished it after being too low level to kill the last boss (well, second to last actually). Also, the 3D exposed the Japanese's horrible animating and voiceovers. I hate how these little Japanese girls behave and look. All anorexic and acting rediculous. Why can't you ever play with adults? Oh well.

Also played 12 for one hour but sold it after it totally didn't suit me. FF4 I played on ROM for a short while. Seemed promising, but I quit very early. I'll get back to that.
Nizidramanii'yt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, 16th Apr '12, 6:31pm   #24
Kieran
Gems: 2/31
Latest gem: Fire Agate

Like: 2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 274
Level: 6
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Happy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieFresh Meat
Kieran is on a distinguished road

I've played nearly all of them:

FF1: Fun though very little to it (the story is never really explained until the ending) and Fighters were overpowered compared to the other classes. 6/10

FF2: Ahead of its time game system rewarding skills that were used a lot, but required a lot of grind and/or manipulation to actually get your characters strong enough. The story was miles ahead of FF1's and the characters had a fair bit of colour to them. Why it often gets slated as the worst FF is beyond me.7/10

FF3: Had it for a while for the DS but have never got round to playing.

FF4: Melodramatic, but fun story with likeable characters. The game system was coming along nicely by this stage. As others said, this one set up the framework that all FFs followed up til FF10. 8/10

FF5: Another under-rated one. Brilliant job system and the banter between the characters makes up for a plot more on the level of FF2's than FF4's. 9/10

FF6: Great characters that all play distinctly is great. The fact that there's loads of them (14!) and your party is completely customisable makes it even better. It also boasts a brilliant story and probably the best magic system the series ever had. 10/10

FF7: Another brilliant one. Great story and characters and brilliant setting. The materia system was solid and the whole production was amazingly epic. One or two dull moments and a translation that amkes some of the banter incomprehensible are the only niggles. 10/10

FF Tactics: Never played.

FF8: My personal favourite (though it looks to be not a fave of the folk on here!) Characters were a bit less colourful, but they were more believable and Squall was brilliantly written. The Junction system is fun to tinker with despite the fact it's daunting for first timers and too easy to manipulate for veterans. As with 7 the world building was lovingly done. 10/10

FF9: A bit of a dip in quality here. Unbalanced characters, some more likeable than others (hated that arrogant turd Zidane but loved Steiner) and the plot borrows a bit too much from FF4. It also takes a bit too long to get going (though is good once it does). Gameplay was fun though wasn't overly keen on the Trance system or having to equip crap weapons to learn good abilities. 7/10

FF10: Very moving story let down slightly by a whiney main character and a slowish pace. The turn-based battle system isn't one of my favourites but is well done. Been itching to replay this one actually. 8/10

FF10-2: Better game system than 10 (a nice return to the job system), but the plot was completely uninvolving, Yuna's personality was completely different and only 3 playable characters is meh. I never got round to finishing it 6/10

FF11: MMORPG so no interest

FF12: Mixed feeling about this one. The plot was great, but badly told, encumbered by how long it took to do quests and sub-quests so by the time you got to the next stage of the plot, you'd forgotten what happened in the previous stage (which isn't very good when you're dealing with a complex political plot). I liked all 6 playable characters (yes, even Vaan), but I didn't really get why any of them but Ashe and Basch cared enough to take on the Empire; Vaan wanted to avenge his brother, but he forgets about that pretty soon; Penelo is just there to keep Vaan company; Fran is there for no reason I can see. Balthier does actually have more motive than is initially shown so I'll let him off. Gameplay was fun, but as said before sub-quests were too long for very little reward (Espers were hard to get and then useless once you did get them). I loved how customisable your characters were though. 7/10

FF13: Love the battle system, liked the characters (bar Hope). Very linear and a lack of background flavour, but the story was good if a bit too hurriedly told. 8/10

FF14: See FF11

FF13-2: Playing this now. Story is confusingly told, but gameplay still excellent and a lot less linear though it suffer from 10-2's problem of re-using the same locations over and over. Wish there were more playable characters and I'm not a huge fan of the monster training aspect. 8/10
Kieran is offline   Reply With Quote