Donations
GOG.com
Sorcerer's Place Home | Chatrooms | BoM Rules & FAQ
Sorcerer's Place Stores: Games, Books, DVDs, Merchandise
(buying via these links & our affiliated stores below helps support the site - thanks!)

Have you liked us yet?
Sorcerer's Place on Facebook

Boards o' Magick BoM Blogs!

Go Back   Boards o' Magick > News Forums > Game/SP News & Comments

Notices

Game/SP News & Comments For general game and Sorcerer's Place news, including your comments on them. All the news items posted here also appear on our front page.

PLEASE SUPPORT SORCERER'S PLACE BY BUYING FROM OUR NEW SHOP!

Old Fri, 5th Oct '12, 4:13am   #1
Taluntain Points for Posts
SPS Account Holder
Founder
Resident Alpha and Omega

Like: 309
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 54,214
Level: 58
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnEverybody Loves Me!Wanna Share
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Taluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant future
Default Sorcerer's Place Wizardry 8 Video Walkthrough Up!

With today's release of our Wizardry 8 video walkthrough, we now have the last three parts of the Wizardry series covered. If you've missed the Wizardry 6 and Wizardry 7 walkthrough announcements, follow the links.

Wizardry 8 is the fourth guide that Beren has integrated gameplay videos throughout. A big thank-you as usual goes to Montresor for a good deal of editorial and technical work on getting the guide online.

We believe that the guide is complete and free of (major) errors, but as with any other new feature, something may have slipped our attention. If you spot any such problems, please report them to the author.

Enjoy the Wizardry 8 Walkthrough!

(And yes, the busy bee Beren is already working on another one...)

Join the Sorcerer's Place page!
Taluntain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, 6th Oct '12, 2:15am   #2
Marceror Points for Thread Ratings Given
SPS Account Holder
Editor
Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps

Like: 33
Liked 136 Times in 107 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 6,280
Level: 24
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnThree's a CrowdI'm Not Alone!
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Marceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud of

Thanks to Beren and Montressor for yet another guide. I'm not at all familiar with this series, but found it interesting reading about the available classes and races. Beren, would you ever consider adding a bit of voice to your videos? I was watching you tweak your characters a bit in video 1, but really had no idea what you were up to. Some light vocal commentary could be extremely helpful.
Old Mon, 8th Oct '12, 2:21am   #3
Beren
SPS Account Holder
Moderator|Writer
Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer

Like: 2
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 7,242
Level: 25
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Beren is just really niceBeren is just really niceBeren is just really niceBeren is just really nice

I appreciate the point you're expressing. However, in my experience, I find voice instructions in gameplay videos a turn off. Either the guy tries to sound humorous but ends up just being annoying, or it gets related in a flat monotone. I suspect I'd play out as the latter. I realize getting the benefit of my latest guides either involves scrolling up and down, or switching between either tabs or windows, but there's a part of me that likes to preserve the gameplay as is, and let the text provide the nitty gritties of what I'm doing.
Beren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, 8th Oct '12, 3:09am   #4
Marceror Points for Thread Ratings Given
SPS Account Holder
Editor
Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps

Like: 33
Liked 136 Times in 107 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 6,280
Level: 24
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnThree's a CrowdI'm Not Alone!
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Marceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud of

The guy who tries too hard to be funny/memorable is distasteful to me as well. The monotone but informative voiceover is great in my opinion. I very much enjoy, for example Dr_Asik's (HDGamingReplays) style on IWD2, BG and MotB. You have to do what works for you, of course.

I'm sure the fact that I initially had a hard time following you was due to me having absolutely no background with Wizardry. After watching you level up your first few characters I was following along pretty well with the others. I still couldn't really understand exactly how magic worked. I noticed you clicking on a spell, your spell point would go away, but it wasn't clear what you had done to the spell (I assume made it more powerful, but I didn't notice the numerical values increasing when you clicked on the spell).

At any rate, I'm sure that is something that if I had the game and read the game manual I could figure out quickly enough. I rather tend not to enjoy playing in first person, otherwise this series appears to be quite interesting.
Old Mon, 8th Oct '12, 5:45pm   #5
The Great Snook
Gems: 30/31
Latest gem: King's Tears

Like: 51
Liked 100 Times in 56 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 11,780
Level: 31
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnWanna ShareJunior Blogger
The Great Snook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Great Snook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Great Snook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Great Snook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Great Snook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Great Snook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Great Snook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Great Snook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Great Snook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Great Snook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Great Snook has a reputation beyond repute

While I haven't checked out the guide yet, I have to tell you that this is truly a great game. It is one of the few that I have played start to finish multiple times. I may have to find my CD's again.
Old Mon, 22nd Oct '12, 10:05pm   #6
Blades of Vanatar
Vanatar will rise again

Like: 93
Liked 70 Times in 56 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 10,591
Level: 30
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Feeling OldGetting OnTrend SetterHappy Anniversary!BoM Experienced
Awards Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Blades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of questions....

Rogue - Backstab ability. The manual is a bit vague on this one.

- How does it actualy work?
- I know it does more damage. But under what circumsances?
- Is it an automatic calculation on every attack?
- Is it limited to only working when wielding certain weapons?

Is there a Gadgeteer NPC? (it's been a while since I played.)

Attempting a new run through on Iron Man/Normal mode. Current Party around level 7-8, visted Arnika, heading to Umpani base camp...

Lizardman Fighter Male - Sword(Cursed Rapax made sword, forget the name) and Heater Shield, Bow

Mook Ranger Male - Bipennis(2h-Axe) and Bow from Monastery(forget name)

Hobbitt Bard Female - Diadmond Epee/Sword from Monastery(Demonsting?) and Crossbow

Dwarf Priest Male - Enchanted Mace and Sling - Mostly Water/Divine Spheres - About ready to switch to Bishop now that Divine is racked up

Faerie Mage Male - Shillelagh and Darts - All spheres but Mental (so far)

Gnome Alchemist Female - Q-staff and Sling - All spheres but Mental (so far)

NPCs

Vi Domania and Myles(switched him to Fighter for more melee power...). Will drop Myles for Sparkle eventually. Probably then dropping Sparkle for Madras once I reach him in Trynton.
Old Tue, 23rd Oct '12, 2:01am   #7
Taluntain Points for Posts
SPS Account Holder
Founder
Resident Alpha and Omega

Like: 309
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 54,214
Level: 58
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnEverybody Loves Me!Wanna Share
Taluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant future

You should probably point Beren to this thread so he doesn't miss your post.

Join the Sorcerer's Place page!
Taluntain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, 23rd Oct '12, 4:12pm   #8
Beren
SPS Account Holder
Moderator|Writer

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!
Beren is just really niceBeren is just really niceBeren is just really niceBeren is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Vanatar View Post
Couple of questions....

Rogue - Backstab ability. The manual is a bit vague on this one.

- How does it actualy work?
- I know it does more damage. But under what circumsances?
- Is it an automatic calculation on every attack?
- Is it limited to only working when wielding certain weapons?
'Backstab' is a bit misleading. Rogues always inflict extra back stab damage, even when facing their foes frontally. It increases with Rogue levels. It can only work with weapons that have a 'thrust' attack option.

Madras is the recruitable Gadgeteer rogue option.
Old Tue, 23rd Oct '12, 7:11pm   #9
Blades of Vanatar
Vanatar will rise again

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars
Awards Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Blades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond reputeBlades of Vanatar has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, that explains much. Rogues do more damage with Dagger/Shortsword. I never went that route, I usualy choose a Bard/Ninja/Gadgeteer type instead of Rogue. Bard is my prefered pick, very helpful in the early game once you find the Piercing Pipes, though Ninjas are awesome later on.

It's been a while since I last played, I was thinking Madras was an Alchemist. Is the below NPC list correct? Any others?

Myles - Rogue
Vi - Valkyrie
Sparkle - Ranger
Umpani(name???) - Bard
Madras - Alchemist
T'Rang(name???) - Samurai
Robot Monk?????
Old Wed, 24th Oct '12, 4:43am   #10
Beren
SPS Account Holder
Moderator|Writer

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Myles - Rogue
Vi Domina - Valkyrie
RFS 81 - Cyborg Monk
Madras - Gadgeteer
Sparkle - Ranger
Saxx - Umpani Bard
Tantris T'Rang - Samurai
Urq - Mook Psionic

There's also a Rapax Mage near the ritual altar in the Castle.
Old Fri, 26th Oct '12, 9:06pm   #11
Blades of Vanatar
Vanatar will rise again

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Sexus is the Rapax Mage, wielding the Rapax mageblade.

I remember reading there are 3 more NPCs. All of which stay only for limited times as they only stay with you for their quest and then leave. Of course, if you add them and don't do their quest, they will stay for a bit longer. I think Drazic or Rodan will actually attack you if you wait too long to complete their quest.

Drazic - T'Rang Ninja
Rodan - Umpani Lord
Sgt .Glumph - Umpani Fighter
Old Tue, 23rd Jul '13, 6:32pm   #12
Blades of Vanatar
Vanatar will rise again

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

The game is setup for the player to create up to 6 characters, leaving two slots open for two additional NPCs. Has anyone ever tried to create under 6 characters in order to add more than 2 NPCs? Does the game allow more than 2 NPCs in the party at one time?
Old Wed, 24th Jul '13, 5:00am   #13
Beren
SPS Account Holder
Moderator|Writer

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Vanatar View Post
The game is setup for the player to create up to 6 characters, leaving two slots open for two additional NPCs. Has anyone ever tried to create under 6 characters in order to add more than 2 NPCs? Does the game allow more than 2 NPCs in the party at one time?
Nope, just two. It's not that big a deal anyway. They won't go with you when it matters the most (e.g. the Rapax Rift, Ascension Peak).