Donations
GOG.com
Sorcerer's Place Home | Chatrooms | BoM Rules & FAQ
Sorcerer's Place Stores: Games, Books, DVDs, Merchandise
(buying via these links & our affiliated stores below helps support the site - thanks!)

Have you liked us yet?
Sorcerer's Place on Facebook

Boards o' Magick BoM Blogs!

Go Back   Boards o' Magick > News Forums > Game/SP News & Comments

Notices

Game/SP News & Comments For general game and Sorcerer's Place news, including your comments on them. All the news items posted here also appear on our front page.

PLEASE SUPPORT SORCERER'S PLACE BY BUYING FROM OUR NEW SHOP!

Old Wed, 14th Nov '12, 4:19am   #1
Taluntain Points for Posts
SPS Account Holder
Founder
Resident Alpha and Omega

Like: 309
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 54,217
Level: 58
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnEverybody Loves Me!Wanna Share
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Taluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant future
Default Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition - Sorcerer's Place Interview

Our intrepid new Editor, Marceror, has put together a series of questions for Trent Oster, the Beamdog mastermind behind the upcoming enhanced edition of the game that is the reason why Sorcerer's Place exists - Baldur's Gate. The interview is quite extensive, so here's a short bit to whet your appetite:
6. SP: Modding by the fans has been the lifeblood of this series for the past decade. Will the process of modding the game change much for modders in the Enhanced Edition?

Oster: We made an agreement very early within our team to go as far as possible to support the modding community. We enlisted a number of prolific modders from the community to help us not only keep modding as similar and as easy as possible, but to add in additional modding support where we can. In a few cases, this advisory group caught us going down a track and helped us re-direct to a better solution. I think the modders who aren't in the beta are going to be quite happy.

7. SP: How much fan created material made it into BG:EE?

Oster: Good question. There is a fair bit of fan content that is included into BG:EE, but I think very little went in untouched. In almost every case we worked closely with the modders involved to improve or revise the content to better fit the game and the average user. In some cases the modders went above and beyond their previous efforts and delivered something awesome with the additional support we were able to offer on the code side.
Dig into the rest of the interview here!

Join the Sorcerer's Place page!
Taluntain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, 14th Nov '12, 5:39am   #2
Topken
SPS Account Holder
Elven-dragon wizard

Like: 2
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 1,303
Level: 12
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Feeling OldGetting OnPosting GuruWriters CrampBlogbie
Topken will become famous soon enough

Quote:
21. SP: What have been some of the more profound lessons learned working on BG:EE?

Oster: Never underestimate the time required to rework legacy code.
That should be common sense in cases like this where you are dealing with legacy code and trying to optimize it for the here and now and possibility the future. (I know I used the wrong form of that word but I can not think of what the right one is.)
Old Wed, 14th Nov '12, 9:39pm   #3
Darion
SPS Account Holder
Resident Dissident

Like: 29
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 2,089
Level: 15
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnPaper WeightPosting Professional
Darion has a spectacular aura aboutDarion has a spectacular aura about

Nice interview.
Mr. Oster was more talkative than usual.
Great work, O intrepid Marceror!!!
Old Thu, 15th Nov '12, 7:23am   #4
Marceror Points for Thread Ratings Given
SPS Account Holder
Editor
Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps

Like: 33
Liked 136 Times in 107 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 6,280
Level: 24
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnThree's a CrowdI'm Not Alone!
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Marceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud of

Thanks. I was pretty happy with the amount of information received. I had worried that some of the BG3 related questions wouldn't get answered, but they did. Trent was very gracious.

I'm looking forward to doing BG enhanced style later this month. I've been itching for a BG runthrough for months, but have been holding out for EE.
Old Thu, 15th Nov '12, 8:54pm   #5
Rawgrim
Gems: 21/31
Latest gem: Pearl

Like: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 3,419
Level: 18
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Let's Talk...New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!
Rawgrim is a jewel in the roughRawgrim is a jewel in the roughRawgrim is a jewel in the rough

Slightly off topic: But does anyone know if they have improved the interactions and such for the original NPC`s? Would be abit wierd if only the new ones actually start up a conversation etc.
Rawgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, 15th Nov '12, 9:05pm   #6
Taluntain Points for Posts
SPS Account Holder
Founder
Resident Alpha and Omega

Like: 309
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 54,217
Level: 58
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnEverybody Loves Me!Wanna Share
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Taluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant future

IIRC they haven't touched the old dialogues.

Join the Sorcerer's Place page!
Taluntain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, 15th Nov '12, 10:22pm   #7
Rawgrim

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Let's Talk...New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!
Rawgrim is a jewel in the roughRawgrim is a jewel in the roughRawgrim is a jewel in the rough

They hardly had any in BG1. I was thinking of if they added convos with NPC`s or between them, like BG2 had. If they haven`t, it would seem that only the new ones will be doing stuff like that. Making the old ones feel "lesser" in a way.
Old Fri, 16th Nov '12, 10:26am   #8
Darion
SPS Account Holder
Resident Dissident

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnPaper WeightPosting Professional

The article mentions Fan-Created-Content.

Any idea what this content might be??
I don't remember reading anywhere about this before.
Old Fri, 16th Nov '12, 7:31pm   #9
SPS Account Holder
Editor

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Battle-scarred VeteranFeeling OldGetting OnThree's a CrowdI'm Not Alone!
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Marceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darion View Post
The article mentions Fan-Created-Content.

Any idea what this content might be??
I don't remember reading anywhere about this before.
I'm assuming that most of it is bug fixes -- probably the majority of the 400+ bug fixes that are advertised with the game. There's likely also a few convenience tweaks that are popular with the community. I doubt they would include much more than that.
Old Fri, 16th Nov '12, 7:49pm   #10
Rawgrim

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Just had a chat with Dave Gross on facebook. The old npcs will indeed have new dialogue and such. Added stuff here and there. Not as much as they do in BG2, but more than they have in the original BG game.
Old Fri, 16th Nov '12, 8:58pm   #11
Gaear
SPS Account Holder

Like: 65
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 5,239
Level: 22
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Party of FiveThree's a CrowdLet's Talk...I'm Not Alone!Happy Anniversary!
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!
Gaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant future

How will that work out in terms of voice audio (or the lack thereof)?
Gaear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, 16th Nov '12, 9:39pm   #12
SPS Account Holder
Editor

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

There will be no new voice acting for the original companions.
Old Fri, 16th Nov '12, 9:50pm   #13
Gaear
SPS Account Holder

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Party of FiveThree's a CrowdLet's Talk...I'm Not Alone!Happy Anniversary!
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!
Gaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant futureGaear has a brilliant future

Ouch. I think that's a bad idea then, unless your goal is to announce "these are the new dialogues!"

Usually, half-voiced NPCs are the domain of mods.
Old Fri, 16th Nov '12, 10:28pm   #14
Darion
SPS Account Holder
Resident Dissident

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Ah, I see. Thanx for the info Marce.

I wasn't thinking about the tweaks and patches the community did. I assumed actual mods.
Old Sat, 17th Nov '12, 2:43am   #15
SPS Account Holder
Editor

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaear View Post
Ouch. I think that's a bad idea then, unless your goal is to announce "these are the new dialogues!"

Usually, half-voiced NPCs are the domain of mods.
I believe that I read that the new NPCs wouldn't have special dialogues with the old ones, so I'm not so sure it will work out the way you suggest. It very well may, however. Time will tell.
Old Sat, 17th Nov '12, 3:56am   #16
Rawgrim

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

The new stuff will be text based. Gross said the older companions will have interactions with other NPCs. Brand new interactions. But not as much interaction as they had in BG2.
Old Sat, 17th Nov '12, 5:19am   #17
Gaear
SPS Account Holder

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I don't mean to be Debbie Downer with this, it's just that an NPC who says one thing out loud and then the next silently appears kind of half-baked. I'm a bit surprised they're proceeding that way, honestly, though I'm hopeful they've got something up their sleeve to lessen the effect. I do understand that dragging the original voice actors back into the studio fourteen years later is probably unrealistic.
Old Sat, 17th Nov '12, 7:58am   #18
SPS Account Holder
Editor

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Well, if it's a conversation between, say, Imoen and Neera, I'd prefer that the whole thing be text only, vs. Neera having VO and Imoen not.
Old Sat, 17th Nov '12, 4:44pm   #19
Montresor
SPS Account Holder
Distinguished Member
Online Walkthrough Writer
Mostly Harmless

30k Starfighter Champion! Bomb Bandits Champion! Breakout Champion! Cutie Quake Champion! Driller Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Michu Champion! Treasure Hunt Champion! Driving Mad Champion! Moebius Syndrome Champion!
Like: 97
Liked 88 Times in 53 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 8,211
Level: 27
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements BlogbieParty of FiveThree's a CrowdI'm Not Alone!New Delivery
Montresor has much to be proud ofMontresor has much to be proud ofMontresor has much to be proud ofMontresor has much to be proud ofMontresor has much to be proud ofMontresor has much to be proud ofMontresor has much to be proud ofMontresor has much to be proud ofMontresor has much to be proud ofMontresor has much to be proud of

Perish the thought!

Incidentally, maybe they should have written a few interactions for Imoen. She had none or very few in the original game - IIRC because she was a late addition to the Vanilla game and therefore lacked a lot of development.
Old Sat, 17th Nov '12, 6:31pm   #20
Darion
SPS Account Holder
Resident Dissident

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

^ Yeah.
As someone who plays with the Imoen Friendship-Mod and has gotten used to her plently witty banter this will be a setback....