1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I almost hate to say it...

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Inquisition' started by Marceror, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    But I looked at a couple of preview videos for this game, and I'm finding myself tempted to pre-order.

Is something wrong with me, or does it truly look like it's going to be a great game?

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    It simply means BioWare is good at promoting their product.

Don't give in to temptation. Wait for reviews from non-biased journalists (and/or fellow gamers).

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Why pre-order? It's not like there'll be a shortage or something. :)

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yes, yes they are. Quite good. Plus... Leliana. If I wasn't married, and she was actually... real... it would be so on. Bioware is using that against me. I just know it.

This is right, I know. I had simply forgotten how much nostalgia I had for the DA series. I will need to remain strong.

Because... if I'm going to play it eventually, I might as well get the handful of extra content that is offered to those who pre-order. Plus, they might run out of digital copies! Then what would I do?

5. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    You can get those regardless of whether or not you pre-order. That's just a marketing ploy. In this day and age, it's almost as despicable as Day 1 DLCs.

6. Marceror

Media:
    Yeah, I can get it, but not for free.

7. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    You say that like you're getting it for free by pre-ordering. :lol:

8. Marceror

Media:
    Yes, of course I'm saying it like that. That's what happens. If you pre-order you get certain additional items that those who don't pre-order have to pay extra for.

I pre-ordered the first two Dragon Age games and that's exactly what happened. For Origins, there was a whole new companion, Shale, a new area and quests that I think cost around $8 USD for those who didn't pre-order. Since I did, I didn't have to play the $8 - hence free. And there were other items as well.

Similar with Dragon Age 2. I got the companion Sebastion and a new quest for him that I would have otherwise paid extra for. And there were several other items as well.

It's somewhat less compelling with Dragon Age 3, but it's still there:
    http://help.ea.com/en/article/dragon-age-inquisition-pre-order-info/

What do I get for Pre-Ordering Dragon Age: Inquisition?
    Pre-ordered copies* of Dragon Age: Inquisition will grant you access** to Flames of the Inquisition gear:
    • Multi-class Weapons: Smite your enemies with the Flames of the Inquisition weapons arsenal. Whether staff or daggers, greatsword or war hammer, these weapons will make short work of your foes.
    • Inquisitor Armor: Protect yourself against the onslaught of enemy attacks by suiting up in the Flames of the Inquisition Armor.
    • Armored Mount: Flames of the Inquisition gear also includes a valiant steed, complete with its own set of Inquisition Armor forged from the flames of battle.

Yes. Free. Seems straightforward enough.

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I got Shale for free without pre-ordering. Not sure what else.

You will be paying full price for a pre-order, no? You'd likely pay less even if you had to pay something for the "free" items later if you waited a bit. :)

10. Marceror

Media:
    So... How did you get it for free if you didn't preorder? Do tell.

I'm not thrifty when it comes to games. Waiting a year for a better price doesn't seem worth it if I really want to play a game.

11. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    After waiting a decade for Diablo 3, pre-ordering it and only getting like 2 months worth of fun plus a whole lot of disappointment out of the title I've been a lot more wary about which games I should get lately.
    It helps that GoG and Steam have been going all out with their summer sales of old favorites.

As far as DA:3 is concerned, after the whole DA:2 thing I've decided to wait until I get a better look at game mechanics/system and the RPG aspect. I may end up pre-ordering if I like what I see in the near future, but atm no.
    I loved DA:O and I too am feeling more than a bit nostalgic for that game, but I don't think being just a bit more objective isn't going to hurt us much. :)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  12. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    It came with the game when I bought it. *shrug*

13. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    That's like when you look at a Steam bundle and the promotion says "Here's what you save by buying this bundle".

You don't actually save anything unless you presuppose that the only other alternative is buying the games at full price.

It's the same with pre-order bonuses. You don't actually get anything for free, you're paying full price to get them.

14. Marceror

Media:
    It would cost more to buy the game at full price, and then buy those additional items at full price that you could have gotten as pre-orders.

If you're willing to wait a year for some crazy Steam sale, than sure, that's a different story. But for me, if I really want to play a game nowish, what happens a year down the road is largely irrelevant to me.

15. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I can't remember the last time I got a game any earlier than six months after its release. I just can't handle the inevitable bugs and issues and I am content to wait out the ironing out period. I choose not to pay to be a beta tester.

The Magpie and Taluntain like this.
  16. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

I don't pre-purchase. Back before the days of direct download, pre-orders made some sort of sense. Unless you pre-ordered, your local store could be out of physical stock and you'd miss out. But I still preferred to wait. Now games companies essentially withhold content in order to induce the same fear, and drive pre-purchases that serve no benefit to the consumer. Add to that, all you get in most pre-purchases as a "bonus" are usually bonus items that throw the game balance badly off-kilter and actually diminish the experience as a whole.

Listen to uncle DMC: just say "no" kids.

17. Marceror

Media:
    What everyone is saying makes sense. While I have a good amount of sense in most areas of my life, gaming isn't one of them. It's one of the few areas where I still allow myself to act like a kid.

"I want that game, daddy. Please, please can I have it" is pretty much the level that make a lot of my gaming decisions at. Except I'm asking myself, and so I'm inclined to always say yes. :p It's not like there's a lot at stake. If I'm not happy with a game, my family doesn't go hungry. So I pretty much let my impulses guide me. And it helps that there's only a small number of games out there that I'm even interested in playing -- or I could let that approach get out of control.

I haven't picked up DA3 yet, and I'm still not sure that I will pre-order, or even buy it for that matter, but I think that has more to do with the fact that WL2 is out now and PoE will be out in a few months. I still haven't really touched D:OS. So after a very long time of starving, cRPG fans suddenly have an embarrassment of riches.

Not sure when I would get around to DA3 even if I did have it. So that would be the reason not to buy for me. It's not because I'm being a shrewd shopper who only makes the purchase when the developer has proven to me that they've earned my $50.

I need at least one area in my life where I can be irresponsible and impulsive. Because I otherwise spend way too much time being the opposite of those things. I'm sure that was way too much information for a RGP web forum, but there you go....

18. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Don't be silly, you can get discounted keys pretty much right after release. Steam might lock the price for a few months because they can't say no to a big publisher, but other sellers aren't so inclined so long as they make a profit.

19. Marceror

Media:
    Silly he says. I guess we all have different definitions of that. Who are these vendors and how am I supposed to know when they are going to launch a sale? I have limited enough time to scour the internet in hopes that some 3 day sale might pop up for game y at internet seller x. It's almost guaranteed that I would miss the sale, and end up kicking myself. For me this is akin to shooting into a tiny exhaust vent in order to hit the reactor core and bring down the Death Star. It worked for Luke, but it's not going to work for me for than likely.

For me the much simpler approach of see game, want game, buy game is a lot more practical.

20. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Well, it certainly won't if you don't try, will it? :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.