1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Vanilla Restart Problem

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim' started by Vorona, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

I actually think it's going to be hard for anyone to help with this problem as I've already done extensive Googling, but I'm writing in case I'm wrong. I know what to do if I can't find a solution, but I'd kick myself if I left a stone unturned.

Okay. I have a very low-end rig. I don't know the specs off hand, but I do know I can't really use ANY texture mods or mods that add weather or creatures, etc. without being able to play. At some point in the past, I discovered an article at Nexus on maximizing performance for low-end rigs. I found that article again, and reread it. It's here: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/18350/?

I also decided to restart the game (now that I'm almost done with Dragon Age Origins again) from Vanilla and reinstall mods starting with STEP (and obviously avoiding mods that my computer just won't run, like any of the HiRes Texture packs, even the official ones). I followed all the instructions at the STEP site to return to a pristine Vanilla game, but I'm caught up on the "Launch from Steam" step -- not because I can't, but because I want to figure out how to avoid the current issue.

Sometime, when I was trying to maximize performance, I either downloaded a program or changed some kind of setting so that when Skyrim (and ONLY Skyrim, not other programs) started, it was at the lowest resolution. With the SKSE launcher, this wasn't a problem, but with the regular, normal launcher, it applied to your first screen as well, so that you have to use your mouse to get to the part of the screen where it says Play, Quit, etc. When looking at the article at Nexus, I couldn't find that program/setting. I don't seem to have the 1st Quickres program, although that sounds the most likely. But I looked everywhere for it on my computer and can't find it. I checked the "Display" settings in the Control Panel and the iSize W and iSize H values in the SkyrimPrefs.ini and those are all fine.

Until I start re-adding mods, I'd like to be able to access the game without such a difficult-to-maneuver start screen, so I'd like to undo or disable whatever it is I did back then. Any suggestions? Like I said, I'm not feeling overly optimistic, but I CAN deal with it (by moving the mouse) if there isn't a solution.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.