1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pointers

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Elf_friend, Jun 30, 2001.

1. Elf_friend Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hey all. I''m gonna be DMing my first Forgotten Realms game soon(I've only ever DMed 3 other games period) and was wondering if anyone out there had a few pointers. If they're really long email me at Jay_Al_M@hotmail.com :)

2. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Think on your toes. Use note cards.

Check with more experience DMs than I. :)

3. Elf_friend Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Cool, thanx man. Would you happen to know any more experienced DMs at this bulletin board?

4. Reeky thestenchful goblin Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] im not a dm and try to never be 1 :) but i think if you just try none complex ones at first and dont try to base it on a plot thats cool just be original.

5. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I haven't played or DMed for almost a decade, but I used to DM a lot of first edition games and then second edition games later on.

Things go much smoother if you just keep it simple. Dungeons work very well, and you can quicky draw up a nice little tomb or series of catacombs without much trouble. Keep things interesting for all players by mixing it up -- creatures the party has to interact with (instead of hack to little bits), traps and riddles make role-playing what it is.

With the Realms it's easy to get caught up with all the existing personalities from the books, which can ruin a session very quickly (Players get bored when Drizzt and co. show up to finish everything off for them!). There's a lot of great work that's gone into the Realms, but I still say it's best to be as original as you can. Use the materials as references and backdrop, but don't try to recreate plotlines from the stories.

Play also goes much smoother if you let the players dictate the tone and pace. This goes for any setting.

Have fun!

[This message has been edited by Gnolyn Lochbreaker (edited July 03, 2001).]

6. Elf_friend Gems: 1/31

Thanx for all the great help guys!! :D

7. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

There were a lot of tips in a old topic in this section on DMing. But here are a few quick points from my experience of DMing.

get a DM screen - bought or made - with quick reference charts.

Perpare your plot in advance but be flexible.

Write down things - keep track of NPCs you make up on the spot and places the party goes. Use them again in the future.

Have Hooks - keep things connected and moving. Don't let the party get stuck in details.

Remember you are the DM - Fudge rolls when necessary and keep things on track.

Have fun but keep it balanced - don't give away to much powerful stuff you will regret it later. Keep the fights and treasure in balance for the XP of the party.

Let me know it you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them. DMing takes little while to get used it but after a while it's lots of fun.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.