1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout 3: opinions on difficulty levels

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by Caradhras, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I haven't completed the game yet but I started over one more time to give the other difficulty levels a try (I played on normal).

I must say that the Very Hard setting is quite nice. It's really difficult and for that very reason it's more satisfying because using VATS doesn't feel like a cheap tactic anymore.

Anyone knows what are the exact differences? As far as I can tell enemies are much tougher (they take more hits before going down) and they seem to do more damage.

Plus you get more XP for defeating your enemies.

The only real drawback I've noticed so far is that my level 4 character in Grayditch keeps running out of ammo for his best guns but even that is quite nice for a change of pace. I'll try to stick at this difficulty level as long as possible, I'm not a good FPS player.:D

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I was actually just thinking about switching the difficulty knob up from normal to hard. When I hit 12th level, I haven't had many challenging fights. Most opponents rarely get close to me now - I am deadly with the sniper rifle!

I'm also finding it easier to target opponents outside of VATS, so I really only use VATS for multiple attackers to try and bring one or two down before they get close to me.

Still loving the game! There are so many side adventures - I find myself writing down safes and computers I can't hack so I can go back to them when my skills are higher.

3. Caradhras

Media:
    I'm bad with FPS in general, I've played Call of Duty Modern Warfare at the easiest difficulty level and completed a few levels at above easy difficulty so I must say I'm really glad the VATS exist in Fallout 3 but I find it cheesy at times.

I bought an Xbox 360 gamepad for my PC and it makes the game so much easier to play because controls for Fallout 3 are tailored for that controller. I've played the Halo series on my friend's Xbox but I found out that if you don't play regularly your skill dwindles into Oblivion (pun intended).

I'm still getting used to the pad and it is great because it helps me to be more mobile and that is a good thing in an FPS. So if you're an above average FPS player you should switch the difficulty all the way to Very Hard, it makes the game much more challenging and I'm having a lot of fun with that setting.

I'm really surprised that I'm enjoying that game that much. Being a poor FPS player at most and nurturing a righteous hatred for most real time games I find it strange that I have fallen like this for Fallout 3... It's great to be able to use your environment intelligently, ducking for cover and going for headshots once in a while.

I'm loving it. It's definitely the best game I've played in years.

4. Blatchford Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Thanks for this, although I've not got round to buying it yet, I plan to soon. I tend to play through games the first time on the normal setting, but as someone who is better than average at fps's (not saying I'm amazing, but I've played lots and used to be in a cs:s clan) I'll definitely try it on Very Hard from the start, as VATS feeling "cheesy" was one of my major worries about the game.

5. Caradhras

Media:
    If you like FPS you will love it. Regarding VATS you don't have to use that feature at all, it's just there for people (like me :p) who are not that good with FPS. Sir Belisarius already mentioned its utility when facing many enemies, in that respect I find it invaluable.

Still, I'd suggest using VATS for the coup de grace since the animation and the slow motion cinematic is quite enjoyable.

I don't think I'll go back to Normal or Hard (unless I'm really stuck) the difficulty forces me to think ahead and plan my fights, that is much better that way!

6. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    Tactics are huge for me, and maybe that's why normal wasn't too tough. I usually walk with my sniper rifle equipped and when I see a red target on my HUD, I go to the scope. I figure out the best way to sneak on the enemy, or if they're alone, pop them with the sniper rifle.

I've taken the Commando & Sniper perks, so I'm pretty accurate with the sniper rifle. I just hit level 13 and took the Lawbringer perk. It's pretty cool, every Raider or bad I guy I take down has a finger in their inventory. I don't know where to take them yet, but I have a nice collection going!

One last thing about perks. There are a lot of cool perks that just make the game more fun! They're not necessarily about minmaxing stats, but make the game that much more interesting. I'd love to hear if anyone's taken the Mysterious Stranger, Mister Sandman, or other perks to describe what they're like.

Great game! Best I've played in years, and the first FPS I've bought since Star Wars Dark Forces (so you know I don't play many) ;) .

7. Blatchford Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Heh, seriously none since Dark Forces? That was the first FPS I bought (in a bundle pack with the first 2 Monkey Islands, The Dig and Full Throttle), which makes me feel rather young... You really should try out Deus Ex at least ¬_¬.

8. Caradhras

Media:
    So Belisarius did you switch to Very Hard?

I'm partial to the Shotgun myself, I like to get close and personal, but the Sniper Rifle is cool, not as cool as the Fat Man but it's always nice to sneak, take aim and watch them fall. :evil:

I do agree about perks, stats aren't as important as they were in Fallout 1 and 2 (I'm maxing them out with Intense Training to find out if it really makes much of a difference and it seems that the benefit you gain above 6 or 7 are somewhat minimal).

My new good guy is level 10 and there has been quite a few narrow escapes along the way (I didn't max weapons yet but went for Science instead). Ammo is still a problem but I seem to have gathered enough for my next fights. The Talon Mercs are a pain (even more when a radiated bear chooses that very moment to attack) but they carry some good stuff.

Weapon condition and weapon skills matter a lot to determine the damage your weapons do (my previous character did 20 more points with a Shotgun). The higher the damage the more gore effects you'll witness, this time I didn't take Bloody Mess though since it got a bit repetitive (don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing a Supermutant's head explode but when it happens all the time it's less spectacular).

9. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

I'm level 14 playing at normal, so I'm not 100% on it, but I'm gonna set it to hard/very hard today and check it out, 'cause it sounds like it'd make the game a little more interesting. I'm an FPS player so I'm always getting headshots with or without VATS :p.

10. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Huge problem with those weapons is they literally tear themselves apart when you fire them. you might get 100 shots out of a full hp shotgun before it breakes, and even less with the sniper rifle (and don't get me started on the Magnum :rolleyes: )

Anyway I HAD to jack up the difficulty after I played through in normal and realized that apart from Deathclaws NOTHING could kill me except for stupid mistakes on my part, which just made the game insanely boring.

11. Caradhras

Media:
    I've read on the official forums that on Very Hard you deal only 50% damage to enemies and they deal 200% to you. A fair trade if you ask me. :lol:

12. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    I have it on Hard. Haven't tried Very Hard yet. half damage versus +200 against doesn't sound very fun. It sounds like it negates all the perks and skills you've developed throughout the game.

13. Caradhras

Media:
    To be frank I didn't realize it was that much... The game is too easy on other difficulty levels now that I got used to Very Hard. So if you're enjoying it on Hard keep playing that way because unfortunately I don't think it's possible to go back when you're used to another difficulty level.

When the chips are down I tend to use grenades and mines a lot (and I mean a lot).

But guess what, I don't even use VATS so often now! :grin:

14. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    I only use VATS when someone is really close - I mean right on top of me. I'm really good at long range targeting and when an enemy is closing, but once they start dancing around in front of me, I can't hit 'em! PLus it's cool watching the head explode and drench the screen in blood! ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.