1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

KotB released - good stuff

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Blades of Vanatar, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

So far so good. Downloaded last night and got a good 2 hrs into it before I noticed it was 1:30 am...

This can be a pain to get installed though as the instructions are broken up all over the Co8 site, IMO at least. To get it working, I had to do the following....starting from Scratch. I had Co8 7.5 installed. That seemed to not work with KotB. Could be me though, not the game. Hopefully Gaear can chime in if he is still around.

- Install ToEE, prefereably in a non-Program Files folder(if running Vista or later..)
    - Install Atari Patch 1
    - Install Atari Patch 2
    - Make sure you have Framework.Net installed as per Co8 instructions
    - Make sure you have Java 7 installed!
    - Install Co8 Modpack 8.0.0. It is installed via a ModDB link on the Co8 site. It takes a while to download. Be patient. (I tried installing the Modpack patch 8.0.1 afterward it it killed the install. I had to start over... aaaargh!!!)
    - Open the TFE-X executable file in your ToEE folder. This will finish the Co8 install
    - Install KotB
    - Open the TFE-X file again. Click on KotB in the listing then click the add-on button. KotB should load up.

Once I created characters, you can choose to either start with default equipment of buy your own stuff. The selection is huge. Rope, Grappling Hooks, etc... really gives this game more of a PnP feel. Right up my alley! :)

2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, game completed with NG party. Early levels are the toughest. Once I hit level 4 most of the battles got A LOT easier.
    I killed the dragon with 6 level 4 characters...
    Next up will be my "Disciples of Vecna" party led by 2 Necromancers and their entourage. Maybe I will try to destroy the keep and raise the fools as the beginnings of my future Undead armies!

The roleplay aspect incorporated into all the "quests" within the keep was very well done. My thanks go out to ShiningTed for this mod. There are a couple of small bugs, but nothing game breaking or even really irritating for that matter.

For new players trying the mod out for the first time I highly recommend trying to
    reach the Caves of Chaos as early as possible. Level 4 plus characters clean up at the Caves as their are many weak humanoids located there.

For anyone familiar with the original PnP mod, there is a LOT of added content. All good stuff.

3. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sounds good BoV. Looking forward to trying this at some point. Thanks for sharing.

4. Vhailor

Vhailor Justice is not blind, for I am her eyes Veteran

How much would you recommend ToEE?

5. Blades of Vanatar

I really liked it. It is a change of pace from the Bioware games like BG/IWD series. slower leveling, each battle is critical in the early stages. More tactics are involved, it is not just "me swing... me hit... me kill...".

6. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I have it installed, but unfortunately Co8 needs java, and I have this aversion of java. Leaks that never get fixed and such. Unfortunate, because I was quite looking forward to trying this game.

I love the soundtrack for this game, though.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  7. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've got it installed now as well. I didn't have Java either, so I also had to grab that.

I spent around an hour creating my party last night (this is probably my favorite party, in all reality). I'm at the starting area, and just need to pick up my starting equipment and go for it. Hopefully I can start playing later today.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.