1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Forgotten Realms Question

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Darien Noella, Mar 17, 2001.

1. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Ok, after noticing Tal's shameless plug in another thread, I decided to check out the FR books he has listed in the Fantasy Books section. My question is: Where should I start?

I would prefer a trilogy of books that offer a good introduction to the realm, in the way that The Dragonlance Chronicles do. I would rather not start with a history of one or two characters or the legends of a particular people.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Oops! Sorry, wrong forum! Help!!!

[This message has been edited by Darien Noella (edited March 17, 2001).]

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] No problem Darien, my topic moving incantations seem to work every time now... :)

3. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] My thanks, O Mighty Wizard. May your robes never chafe, and your staff never break.

4. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Hey, a wizards staff is his best friend. Just ask Tal. He even has a song about it :D How does that go again, Tal.....

600 :D Wooohoooo!!!!

[This message has been edited by Crawl (edited March 17, 2001).]

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Well if you're looking just for that Darien, then the Avatar trilogy of novels there will be of some help. They all revolve around chracters and the early world itself.
    And until the FR setting is re-released for 3rd edition there's not much other stuff related to this either. (Except the old 2nd edition works).

So I'd suggest you also check out the FR history section at http://www.sorcerers.net/Worlds/FR/index.php and start with http://www.sorcerers.net/Worlds/FR/45.php which details the creation of the world.

From there you might as well start with any other history there. If you read all those histories you'll have a much clearer picture of the Realms.

But if you don't want to bother with those, the novels listed in the order at http://www.sorcerers.net/Books/index_fr.php (minus the game ones) will do the job.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited March 17, 2001).]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    the avatar trilogy does give info on a lot of stuff. The problem is that I found them to be some of the worst written forgotten realms novels out there (the exception was Waterdeep). maybe that's just me. 'course, the baldur's gate books are far worse.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Oh yeah. NO ONE can beat Athans at writing truly abominable books. Thank God someone else is writing the Throne of Bhaal novel. It might actually be worth reading.

But still, reading the BG novels is an experience. Guranteed, a once in a lifetime experience because you won't be able to find a worse author anywhere on the planet. I was really fascinated how something like that could ever be printed...

8. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Urgh. Too many Gods. Too much metaphysical mumbo jumbo.

In my humble opinion, the worlds of the Prime should be integrated into the Planescape campaign setting, and not vice versa! :mad:

Oh but no.....everyone would much rather spend their time wearing pointy hats and cavorting with fairies and battling "dragons"......oooo I bet killing a dragon does wonders for your manhood huh?

Damn WotC. I have a feeling WotC are planning to dumb down the Planescape campaign setting.

9. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Yeah! Why don't we see more agricultural implements as weapons too. Forget your rapier of poncieness, Mr Big-shot, I have a pitchfork! Maybe if prime worlds are included in planescape settings you can visit a vast variety of them - including our own dear old Earth ( would D&D games without magic and general wierdness, even just in bits like going to Earth in Planesape, be interesting)

[This message has been edited by Ironbeard (edited March 21, 2001).]

10. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Darien: I would probably also recomend reading the Avatar Trilogy first. It just gives you a nice background on the gods and some famous characters.

11. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31

Thanks Vile. And all...

12. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

hello, I found this topic in the search engine, and as it is relavent to a query I (and presumably some other newbies) have at the moment, I am spamming it to the top sos it can be found easily

13. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

*mutters* trash digger. . .

14. Mhalek Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The Avatar Trillogy is a great series, however it can be overkill for someone new to the realms. I would start off with the Icewind Dale trillogy.

15. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] If you are interested in what Myth Drannor was like before the exodus, try Elminster in Myth Drannor

16. Lord Cheesefiend Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Re: Rakanishu's message of the 19th: is this true about WotC simplifying Planescape? Cos that just takes the bloody biscuit, doesn't it? The best thing to come out of second edition and they bloody simplify it! Can they not take a hint? Tha Planescape is MEANT to be ridiculously complex! That's what the whole bloody setting's about! Messing about with your characters' heads! It's just not the same if it just becomes hack'n'slash... :(

BTW, does anyone know of a Planeswalking vampire going by the name of Restad or any anagram thereof? I have two characters simultaneously being wasted in two separate worlds (Forgotten Realms and ConX) by this guy! Info pls?

Lord Cheesefiend

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.