1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Opinions About a 3rd Edition Fighter/Mage

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Crawl, May 22, 2001.

1. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

OK folks this is my first forey into P&P gaming and it's under 3rd edition rules. It's kinda confusing to me, so I'd apreciate any help I could get. Right now I'm trying to get down my stats. This is what I've come up with so far using a 32 point buy system starting with all 8's in stats...

Str-14 (6pt cost)
    Dex-15 (8 pt cost)
    Const-12 (4 pt cost)
    Int-16 (10 pt cost)
    Wis 10 (2 pt cost)
    Char-8 (0 pt cost)

with 2 points left to spend

Now right now this isn't looking to bad to me. My bigest question is where do I spend the other 2 points. I could raise strength by one and raise it another point when I get an exta stat point in the game (I know what this will do to my carrying capacity, what about damage caused?). I could raise const by 2 points. If I take one away from Wisdom, I could have 17 int and raise it another point in the game. I also plan on raising Dex by a point at some point during the game, getting me a ac modifier of 3.

Again, all this is rather confusing to me since I don't have the PHB yet and am just going on friends' advice and what is available from ALFA gaming. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what my stats should be? I'll play a human, mostly fighter for the first few levels then gain some mage levels later. I'm obviously looking for an agile, smart fighter/mage...less interested in raw power. I'd also take suggestion on feats if you have any.

[This message has been edited by Crawl (edited May 23, 2001).]

2. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] With the exception of Charisma, you really don't want a penalty in the other stats.

I would suggest increasing your dexterity. Raising your Int to 17 is only beneficial if you're planning on becoming a level 13 Wizard. Otherwise even with that high score you would not get access to higher level spells. Consider taking a level or two of the Duelist Prestige Class as was written in Sword and Fist. A duelist gets his Int modifier as a bonus to AC much like the Monk's Wis modifier. This would cut down your dependence on armour.

Well, actually your scores are actually pretty good. I myself might try to negate that Charisma penalty, but depending on your game this might not be important. In that case hot contenders would be your Dexterity (+3 bonus to dodge maxes out the benefits you get from Breastplate), Constitution (with a +2 bonus, you get 20 bonus hit points at 10th level and 40 at 20th. Important for mages), and Strength (I think 14 strength is actually enough for your character. Most people who wish to max strength pump it to 17 or 18 to gain maximum benefits).

3. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

How important is it to have high ability scores that are important to your skills? I have 16 intelligence now, and I won't need it to be any higher to cast high level spells till later(if ever even). How vital is it that I have really high intellignece for the mage skills? If it won't make a huge difference, then I think I'd like to boost my constitution now, then use the game points to raise my dex and possibly intelligence when playing.

Also, when talking about strength, tell me about damage rolls. Is the +2 modifier I already have tacked onto the dagage rolls? Does this also affect the...well...it's often refered to as "to hit"; I don't know what it's called now.

That Duelist class sounds pretty nice. Is the Sword and Fist a fighter's handbook? And are the intl modifiers to AC and the Dex modifiers to AC cumulative?

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    One important thing about intelligence for a mage that I forgot to mention in my email to you is that you apply your intelligence modifier to the Difficulty Class (DC) of the spells you cast. The DC is what your target has to beat in order to have a successful saving throw against your spell.

Your strength modifier applies to both your melee attack rolls (to hit) and your melee and thrown weapon damage rolls.

Dexterity modifiers apply to ranged attack rolls.

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited May 23, 2001).]

5. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I would put the 2 pts into INT or DEX. INT is important for the reason BTA listed. For a mage increasing your bonus for beating that DC is vital. If you are going to be leveling the fighter first, and not casting as much I'd take combat casting, and go for expertise for my feats. You may want to wear some light armor for protection but heavy armor would cut into your casting to much so the DEX AC bonus is also important.

6. dinkywinkyboy Banned

personally id add the points into constitution but thats based on 2E rules that im familiar with. constitution seems almost as important as AC cuz ur guy will get anyhow and he thus needs those few extra points to keep em alive. i mean u can always use those fisrt level armor spells ontop of light armor to make up for lost AC. at which point ull still get hit at some point and should further have more constitution, also intelligence is just as important but once ur enemy closes in on u it wont be very important. again 1st level mages are extremely useless. and thus ull be usin ur fighter skills much more. so u can always add intelli later

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.