1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Thoughts about Elric

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by idomeneas, May 27, 2001.

1. idomeneas Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Well my DM has a crush with the fantasy character Elric of Menlibone. In fact he wants to use him as an NPC in a fothcoming campaign.

The problem is what stats should he have (AD&D 2 ed). I would go for something like:
    STR: 3
    DEX: 7
    END: 3
    INT: 21
    WIS: 8
    CHR: 5
    Of course he should be something like a very high class fighter-mage.
    The main problem would be his equipment. His sword Stormbringer should be something like:
    Two handed sword, usable only by chaotic characters, +5 thaco, +20 damage, Each hit gives to the user a +3 to STR, DEX and END to a maximum of 25, Victims must save vs death with a +10 penalty or they die. The main problem is should he wear the menlibonean armor desribed in the first book (effectively a field plate that allows spellcasting) and the shield of Chaos. I would like to see your comments on the stats and also if my point that it would certainly screw our adventuring.

2. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

IF he should be a fighter he has some class requirements that he must abide to. The minimum a fighter can have in strengt is 9.
    So this Elric MUST have 9 in strenght

As I don't know who this guy is I can't say anymore. IF he is a dualclass human he must have 16 in his passive class' Main ability (strenght for fighters and Inteligence for Mages) and 17 in his active class' main ability

As a DM I think this sword seems rather unbalanced to the Your game. If he Joins Your PC-group, as an active character he'll take out all the fun of battles.

3. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I'm not sure with that strength that he could even lift a 2 handed sword no matter what enchantments are put on it. Now admitedly I'm no PnP expert as I am only just learning how to play 3rd edition, but those stats look impossible for a 2nd edition fighter/mage. Other than the fact that it would be impossible to be a fighter with that strength, all the stats look rather wretched even for a regular mage except for the 21 intelligence, and I'm not sure how useful it is to have intelligence quite that high. I suppose if you are using the sword with those stats, THAT alone would make it even possible to be a fighter/mage(ignoring the prerequisite strength of course). But I also think the sword enhancements are a bit much myself. Even with those miserable stats, the sword is a bit too powerful (putting it mildly). I say if he wants to play the character, give him better stats and cut down on the super sword. Something like that would cut down on everyone elses fun I'm sure.

4. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Hehe, actually the sword is far too weak :p

Why not buy the new supplement for D&D by Chaosium, called Dragon Lords of Melnibone? It is the Elric! rpg converted to the D20 system.

Don't have it myself but iirc Elric is a level 12/20 fighter mage and he does have better stats than that. (I believe int was higher, too) Remember his sword gives him more power. And for Stormbringer, it was a +5 sword (i think) which drained d100 constitution per hit (in addition to the high damage of course) :p

And yes, he wore that plate armour through the whole saga... Might prove a bit problematic as in Elric armour didn't hinder magic. Would perhaps count it as a field plate +3 due to the superior melnibonean construction.

Just to give you a hint on how powerful the sword is, in the Elric! game system 20 hit points is a *lot* for a human (you don't get more hp when you level) and that sword deals 2d8+2d6+17d10 damage. (yes, in addition to the life-stealing)

As for the stats:
    The human average in all stats in the Elric! system is 13 and the stat system is almost the same as in D&D, Elric has:
    Str 25 (with sword)
    Con 20 (with sword)
    Dex 20
    Int 28
    also Power (used for spell casting) 35 and Appearance 11 if you want to know. His charisma won't be too high but his wisdom will be well over 18.

I wouldn't use him in your campaign, remember this guy killed even gods :p

[This message has been edited by Volar Blackmane (edited May 28, 2001).]

5. cotman68 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

find the original dieties and demigods--a great description with ability scores, his sword, etc.

6. Lysendor Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The other problem is that he tended to kill those associated with him!! Stormbringer had a nasty habit of a"ccidently" drinking the souls of his comrades. Certaintly would not want to addeventure with him!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.