1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who's your core group of four?

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by Beren, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

I don't really have a usual core. The biggest problem is that I don't really like playing warriors, and none of the warriors are that interesting to me. My favorite characters are:

1. Zevran

2. Morrigan

3. Leliana

4. Wynne

Then, the Dog, Sten, Alistair, Shale, Oghren (in that order).

For this game, I'm playing a dual-wielding rogue, so I have:

Me, Dog, Leliana-archer, and Morrigan as the core I come back to. I obviously took Oghren (and Shale) to Orzammar, and I had Wynne in the tower. For the Return to Ostagar DLC, I took all those who had been at Ostagar: Alistair, Dog, Wynne. I took Alistair to Warden's Keep, too. My runner up group is going to be:

Alistair - Oghren - Zevran - Wynne

But next game it will be different. I really miss not having Zevran, for instance. And I'm thinking more about Sten, even though he doesn't get a second specialization.

At some point, I'm going to do some themed parties (3 Rogues, 3 Mages, 4 Warriors, etc), which I'm looking forward to.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's been a year - two, maybe? - now since I played it last. But I rarely strayed from my core group(s). I say "groups" because it depends on my warden, one of two styles.

Warden - Warrior, Champion -> Templar w/ Sword & Shield
    Leliana - Respec-ed as Assassin -> Duelist, w/ Daggers
    Morrigan - Respec-ed as Spirit Healer -> Shape Shifter
    Rotating Spot - Sten, Oghren, Shale or Allistair for their quests

- also -

Warden - Rogue, Assassin -> Dualist w/ Dual Daggers
    Alistair (unchanged) or Sten re-speced as a Tank
    Leliana (unchanged)
    Morrigan re-speced as Spirit Healer, or Wynn (unchanged)

You'll probably note the presence of the Character Respecialization mod, one of the very few non-cosmetic mods I use. Can't play without it.

I usually go with the Human Noble origin, as I don't like playing a mage and since I enjoy pursuing a romance with both Morrigan and Leliana ("come and knock on our door..."), getting either of them in the sack as a dwarf is just creepy. Bedding them as an elf is odd, too - because of the height difference. But that's probably just me.

3. RockbadgerX Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Resourceful

Hiya. I've finished all character quests on Nightmare difficulty- including solving all the mysteries of the mage tower without using cheats or walk throughs (generally speaking I don't believe in them).

Without a doubt the best character you can be is a mage. Yes, really.
    The major advantage of being a rogue is being able to unlock chests which although a major asset throughout the game makes a huge difference at low levels.

If you set the AI of your party up correctly the best combo I have found is:
    Self- Mage
    Leliana
    Alistair
    and, yes, possibly Wynne. (but sometimes possibly a scantily dressed Morrigan just for eye candy).
    With correct AI your fourth character doesn't matter so much. Replace Alistair for Sten, bring along the dwarf for amusing conversation, anything...

I tell you. When you approach a group of enemies and rip out your group paralysis spells, and the contagious version of the the ability I call the 'red jelly attack' (you know when they explode into red jelly and infect others who then explode into red jelly), and other such group debilitating/weakening spells. Then individually target the biggest threats... There is no class that can wreck as much havok and damage as a mage.

Admittedly I find myself scrolling through characters in combat to manually unleash their most suitable attacks.

But, yes, mage is the most powerful class. Being one is far superior to having one.

4. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

I just bought and played through this game for the first time, with a ranger/druid type character who was big on "animal companions". As such, my group was:

1) Warden- Dwarven Ranger/Assassin lady big on archery and two-weapon backstabbing.

2) Warden's bear companion.

3) Dog. Dread Howl and Overwhelm are amazing abilities.

4) Morrigan. If she's not freezing foes, she's shattering them as a bear. Swarms also make great temporary tanks/distractions.

5) Wynne. When not healing, bearing it up.

A very RP-themed party, but it was fun.

5. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

My favorite group seems to be fairly common as I like to go with Leliana, Allistair, and Wynne. Each provides something for my group.

Leliana takes care of traps and chests because I hate missing XP and loot. I keep her with a bow because I find that scattershot is fantastic though it takes a while before she is particularly good at archery. I also spec her as a ranger and use her pets and her buffs to make the party better.

2. Allistair is used as a supplemental tank. I like the fact that he is hard to kill and he is very self sufficient at high level play. Sword and board is a very good style which does a bit of everything. I also have him pick up champion (to help boost my main characters attacks and for crowd control).

3. Wynne is for healing and buffing. With the right equipment I never have to worry about characters dying ever with her around.

My main character is a mage with the arcane warrior specialization. I go the route of being an invulnerable melee warrior. While not as flashy or as quick as a casting route my character is nearly invincible even on the highest difficulty settings and only had a problem if you get a random dispel (which is crazy rare in this game).

6. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Since I play Rogue mostly -- now there's a surprise :p -- my supporting trio will usually be Alistair, Wynne & Morrigan. With DA:O, the best rule of thumb for party composition is usually just the more mages, the better.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.