1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dragon Age Forum News (Mar. 08, 05)

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by chevalier, Mar 9, 2005.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Here are today's Dragon Age forum highlights, collected by NWVault. Please take into account that these are only single parts of various threads and should not be taken out of context. Bear in mind also that the posts presented here are copied as-is, and that any bad spelling and grammar does not get corrected on our end.

David Gaider, Designer

A good idea from KOTOR 2 for DA..
    I'm not against the idea of splitting PoV away from the main PC to other party members... so long as it was done sparingly and even then only for short periods. The PC, after all, is supposed to be the hero of the story.

There are, however, definitely some grand things that can be done with such a feature.

what happens if you're not the hero :D
    what if one of your companions is the hero of destiny & you're just a sidekick :D
    You're always the hero of the story, if not necessarily heroic. Playing a sidekick would be silly.

There is no "hero of destiny" in DA, though. You are not chosen by destiny, by prophecy, by parentage or any other confluence of events whereby you could be pronounced somehow the Chosen One.

The ONE time in KOTOR it worked well; 'cause it fit that particualr quest plus it wans't overdone.
    And that's how we'd do it in DA, if we do it. Specific instances as appropriate to the quest. The idea would be that it might be fun to split up for short periods, but not that the intention is to role-play a character that isn't your own. So no need to get your collective role-playing pantyhose in a twist or anything.

Time travel....Yes, time travel.....
    There is no time travel, nor magic that affects time directly. Just like there is no teleportation (not even for NPC's), no dimensional portals and no resurrection. Zounds! Amazing, I know.

Time travel....Yes, time travel.....
    The difference between having resurrection magic and having it so that characters simply don't perish all the time may not make a big difference in gameplay but it makes a huge one in the coherence of the setting.

And we've not stated what kind of death system we're using. Having the "no death unless party falls" system is an assumption (one I wouldn't mind, though, if that's the way we went) just like the "there's four playable races and the fourth one is the mystery race" thing I keep hearing about.

Character advancement/development, character ageing.
    Doing a game that took place over a large period of time, complete with jumps forward in time in-between sections, would be kind of neat.

We're not doing that in DA, though. DA centers around a very specific historical event.

Stanley Woo, Quality Assurance

Anyone know of Shadowrun?

I much prefer the rules of shadowrun in comparison to dungeons and dragons. Everything just seems alot more well rounded. It all fits together. And the way the rulebooks are written are way better too. Source books are written from the perspective of people within the world, describing everything from personal accounts. It works.
    Indeed. The rules are so simple and streamlined that my group tried to adapt the old West End Games Star Wars RPG into ShadowRun rules. the only problem is that ShadowRun isn't really set up for complex melee combat or vehicle combat. But their fire combat rules are second to none. :)

Anyone know of Shadowrun?
    They do have rules to prevent you rolling a bijillion dice, you know. I think it's something like an automatic success for every die over 10 or something like that (I don't have the rulebook in front of me).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.