1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Big Idea's thread...

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Dave the Magic Turtle, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    This thread is for everyone to contribute ideas to, basically, if you have an idea for a setting or theme of a RP you'd like to see run post it here. If you have a rule set you created yourself post it here. If you found some nice little rules or settings about the internet post it here. I want this to become a nice collection of information for GM's and Players to use so they can run or play games.

This is not a recruiting thread, if you are recruiting make a seperate thread, but feel free to post the idea here for storage :) Any campaign/rule ideas here are up for grabs to do what you will with.

Now my little bit...

I have decided I can't mix the internet and full on rule systems, so in an attempt to breathe some more life into this wonderful place I have some ideas for some less rule-centric RP's. While I think that having free reign to describe your characters actions as you would like is great, I do feel life is more interesting if some things are out of your control, so the ideas are presented with the intention of using rule lite systems, 3 stats, flip a coin, roll a dice kind of things. I've also included some rough ideas after the initial description.

I am not saying that these will get run, I'm not available till the summer holidays (15th May for me) but if someone wants to take up the reigns with any of these ideas then go ahead. Let me know if any of these sound interesting or you'd like me to expand on anything, I'm going to try and fill this thread with lots of stuff, including worlds, backstories, maps, rules etc.

So without further ado:

IDEA #1

The players play a group of questing knights, relatively free character creation and play style.

-Possibility of simple stats to help guide combat:
    Hit = Chance to hit/parry
    Str = Damage
    Def = Damage resist
    Wnd = Wounds
    -Medieval setting with elements of the extraordinary.
    -All human cast, except for the odd spirit, demon or monster (reserved for NPCs).
    -Could use a world map to give an improved sense of place.
    -Overall quest is to find the Grail, dreams and rumours will guide you, though you may break from the suggested path at any point and go exploring you are questing after all.
    -Possibility of a nominated leader to choose parties path.
    -Possibility of seperate paths.

IDEA #2

The players play a small military unit cut off from the main army during an invasion of their city/country, character creation is based on roles within the unit, requires structured posting.

-Allows use of maps of real places.
    -Various settings, modern to sci-fi.
    -Story guided by GM through missions and encounters.
    -Someone must be squad leader and will make final decisions etc.
    -Some kind of stats to deal with combat.
    HiR = Chance to hit Ranged
    HiC = Chance to hit Close
    Str = CC damage
    Def = Damage Resist
    Wnd = Wounds
    -Rough weapon damage charts, may be needed.
    -Bonuses/penalties for aiming, full auto, blind fire etc. Simple table.

IDEA #3

Crew of a small/large interstellar ship, focus on exploration. Chance for missions on alien planets and ship to ship combat. Epic.

-Map of stars to guide exploration.
    -Ship Roles, captain, pilot etc.
    -First explorers or moving about an already etablished empire (second allows new players at any point).
    -Aliens, human factions.
    -Ship combat needs some thought.
    -Away missions, trading, diplomacy.
    -Galactic sized adventure needs commitment.

I'm sure there are more things floating around my head but thats all I can type at the mo, need sleep, will update some more as soon as I can! :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

If you are looking for some basic structure in a game, there are some brilliant Rule lite rulesets around the place.

3. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    If you've got some names and links Rotku that'd be great :) this thread is for others to contribute to aswell.

4. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    As a little project I have attempted to create a simple D6 based rule system, it should provide a quick way of resolving combat, and a nice guide to characters strengths and weaknesses, while allowing plenty of freedom for Role playing. This is still a WIP so there are probably problems, hopefully some people might have some suggestions for it. I haven't play tested it much so there could be some basic flaws especially with the damage to defence ratio and stuff but suggestions are welcome! :)

THE RULES

Character creation:

-There are 4 basic stats for characters, Strength, Defence, Agility and Will.
    -A basic human begins with 5 in each of these and 4 points to spend on increasing them.
    -An increase of 1 in any stat costs 1 point.
    -You may also decrease stats to gain points, a decrease of one will get you 1 point.
    -None of these stats may go below 3 or exceed 11.

Strength - Half your strength (rounded up) is added to the damage of melee attacks (this is called your Strength bonus or SB).
    Defence - Half your defence (rounded up) is deducted from damage recieved (This is called your defence bonus or DB).
    Agility - To hit in combat, parry, or dodge you must roll against this stat.
    Will - Your characters mental capacity, your ability to reason, argue, intimidate, your spirituality and your intelligence are represented by this stat.
    Wounds - This is your Defence + 1d6.
    Characters begin with 20+5d6 gold to buy equipment.

Equipment:

Code:
    melee weapons
    Hand weapon            d6 + SB damage     10 gold
    Two handed weapon      d6 + 2 + SB damage 20 gold

missile weapons
    Bows                   d6 + 2             10 gold
    Crossbows              d6 + 3             15 gold
    Rifles                 d6 + 5             25 gold

Armour
    Leather                +1 DB              10 gold
    Chain Mail             +2 DB              15 gold
    Scale Mail             +3 DB              20 gold
    Plate	                +4 DB              30 gold
    Shield                 +2 to Parry        5 gold
    Skill checks:

When required to make a skill check you must roll equal to or under the relevent stat to succeed. So if you are attempting to hit someone in combat you must roll against your agility, if your agility is 7 you must roll 7 or under.

Combat:

Choose an action:
    Attack - make a single attack, melee or ranged.
    Defensive Stance - Do not attack, but gain +2 to dodge or parry attempts.
    All Out Attack - Lose your dodge or parry but gain +2 to your Damage this turn.
    Manouver - Take a -1 penalty to hit but are allowed to move your opponent a metre in any direction.
    Aim - Spend this turn aiming and next turn you gain a +1 bonus to hit with a ranged attack, aim moves stack.
    Charge - Run towards the enemy and gain a +2 bonus to damage.

To attack you must roll under, or equal to your agility to hit you then roll damage and add half your strength rounded up (referred to as a strength bonus or SB) if it is a melee attack. Hits may be avoided by making a successful Dodge or parry check, by rolling under, or equal to your agility. Damage is reduced by half your Defence rounded up (referred to as a defence bonus or DB) the rest is taken as wounds.

Optional things:

Players may create a single "Trait" for their hero, obviously god like powers are out the window and all traits must be GM and player approved but it just gives the players a chance to add some nice customisation to their characters.

Thats it so far, I'll keep it updated. I'd like to see some contribution from other people too, settings, rules, campaign ideas, existing or otherwise.

5. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I personally think that's a solid system. Now all you need is a scenario...

6. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    When I wrote it I had Idea #1 from my original post in mind, but thanks :) I'm gonna put it all through some tests and things. Have you got any settings that you'd really like to see a Role Play done in Magister? I seem to remember you saying something about wanting a magic heavy setting once...but I could be wrong lol :p

I was thinking about campaign maps and a possible military style Role Play, having just recently finished watching Generation Kill, I decided to give it a go:

[​IMG]

Using Google Earth I took a shot of Bagdhad (cos its an impressive looking city from above) and taking it into photoshop over layed a grid and some text...with some simple maths I worked out each square equates roughly to 300 m2 (285 if you want to be exact-er ;)). The names on the map are in line with a 40k setting, but ofcourse they can be anything! :D

[​IMG]

This is loosely based on a map of Lichenstein...very loosely ;) The names are deities and things from Germanic folklore. I used a set of brushes I downloaded for photoshop for the markings, not sure if its a little busy but its useable for just keeping track of areas. If anyone would like the photoshop files just PM, most things are layered so name changes aren't a problem :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  7. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    I began work on a setting today, it could have some pretty interesting outcomes and interpretations I think :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    NAME

As the Stars go dark.

BRIEF

The world was once bursting with life Humans, Dwarves, Elves, Creatures of magic were abundant, their cities echoed with song and cheer. Now the fey folks cities are silent, empty, dark. The time of the Dwarves and Elves has been and past only their legacy remains now, strewn throughout the land in the form of towns and cities, castles, mines, temples. Humanity sits alone in the world, surrounded by ghostly monuments of the old races.

No one knows where the fey folk went, it was a slow process, so gradual no one noticed until it was too late. The only clue humanity has is the warnings of their astronomers that the stars are going dark, one by one, fading from existance. Some have begun to herald it as the end of times, claiming that the great devourer is on his way to consume the world. Some not content to sit and wait for him to arrive have set out on a quest to discover the truth, to find the old races, following any clue no matter how slim as to their where abouts. You are one such group...

NOTES

• The world is populated solely by humans and wildlife of a non magical nature.
    • Science is big, Alchemy, Astrology, Geology etc. There is not much if any magic left.
    • Humanity is in a medieval technology stage with blackpowder weapons being rare but obtainable.
    • Black powder weapons come in many varieties some more bizarre and usful than others such as multi shot, or sealed (useable in damp environments) etc.
    • The players adventure revolves around exploration of dead civilisations, with the ultimate goal of discovering what happened.
    • Humanity is ruled by multiple Lords each ruling a country, this happened because the king died with no heir so a civil war occured and after several years they called a truce and an unsteady peace has reigned since.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Thats all I have so far, but the idea is that the players get to adventure through the empty cities of the elder races to find clues of their disappearance, and also any clues about the stars going out. I haven't really decided whats causing it yet but its going to be linked to the disappearance of magic from the world and stuff...maybe even players will get to restore the elder races in the end maybe lol!

Feel free to chip in with ideas I'll try and keep this updated as I add more :)

8. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Question:
    Does clockwork exist?

9. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Well thats kinda what I had in mind when I was on about variations in blackpowder weapons (like clockwork rifles) but ofcourse it has other applications too...also since sience is so prominent obviously its important to be able to measure everything so clockwork is a perfect way of measuring time...maybe a science of chronology and how time affects the world, and research into the way time interacts with the human body and mind...perhaps some sort of religious thing?

Do you have any ideas of how clockwork might be used in this world? What did you have in mind when you asked? :)

10. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Well I now know I can have a gunslinger with a talent for making clockwork related inventions :)

11. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    That sounds like a pretty nice character :D I'll try and get some more stuff done, been in the process of moving back home from uni the past week. But now I'm back I can unpack my thinking cap and stuff :p

12. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Ok I had another idea for a RP which in my head sounds like a pretty interesting concept (don't worry I haven't stopped thinking about my other ideas :p).

So anyway I was thinking more on one of the ideas I posted in my original post, that of the modern day war zone setting (Idea #2) and was trying to think of ways to make it more PBP friendly since war can get pretty hectic at times and the game might end up being pretty fast paced. Anyway my idea was this:

What if each player had a fire team (which I believe is 4 people) basically this means each player could move at their own pace around the warzone (unless they met up with other players)...its an attempt to negate timezone issues a bit, and it might also let people have more freedom. Obviously the GM could play command, assigning missions to the teams as well as posting enemy movements and describing the world for the players (usual GM jobs).

I thought it was an idea worth putting forward, any thoughts/opinions on how it would work?

I know there are some creative souls out there so come on people add some ideas of your own! :)

13. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    As I mentioned in our PM I would like a special forces RP modern times or slightly futuristic. Marines or mixed force force. I would revive my Gunny, Cherokee Indian character loosely based on my Grandfather. I think this would fit with your rule set.

I couldn't start such a thread. I just don't have the right imagination to come up with a good scenario. I know a bit about military behavior but the actual events elude me.

Wonder what happened to that thread. I was enjoying it when it went poof.

I also think for a more standard fantasy something could be done with the world from my blog. One premise I had with that world and don't know if I expressed it in the blog is that Good and Evil are subjective; based on the individuals perspective.

Rules exist to keep things running smoothly. Either we work together as a team or we end end up with five different RPs all in the same thread. Not good. Takes a really good GM to allow freedom without loosing the team or the aim of the RP. Takes dedicated players to keep a good RP going.

14. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    So I have pretty much got my sights set on a modern day military RP at the mo, and while I had a fair few bits written up on my Hard drive before it died I have to start again cos my memory is terrible.

I'd like to set it in the middle east, but it might end up in Eastern Europe or Korea or Russia or somewhere simply because my knowledge of religion (which would play a part in a middle east conflict) is very limited. The other places I mentioned can have a conflict driven by more economic or polotical things, something I feel a bit more comfortable with. Going to google earth some places and see what kind of terrain there is.

I'm thinking 4 players and the characters are part of a multi nationality force (give some variety to characters, though they can all speak english easily enough). Equipment can be requisitioned from some NPC's like Quarter masters, though it may take some time to arrive due to Army bureaucracy, so while you'll start with basic kit you will be able to augment it over time.

I would like some feedback on these ideas:
    • Players will play as a fire team with 1 (Lance) Corporal and 3 Privates, or everyone could be of equal rank (though this makes less sense and may require NPC officers accompanying every mission).
    • I thought it might be interesting to send PM's to people telling them things that only their character noticed so that they can choose to ignore it, mention it or act on it. So say someone hears voices from a building, I don't say in the thread I send a PM to the person who hears voices and they decide whether to post about it. Sounds complicated now that I write it but if we get a good posting structure together it could work.
    • I know alot of the people on the boards are secret creative fiends so I thought it'd be nice to let you write short stories about what your character gets up to between major missions. Maybe he helped out the snipers by sitting in as a spotter, maybe the squad went out on a patrol (you could write stories about everyone from your characters perspective), maybe there was a bit of a ruckus in the canteen...whatever...but since the RP would essencially be a series of engagements it would save RP'ing all the sitting around waiting for things to happen.

So if anyone wants to be part of it start thinking up some soldier ideas and I'll get a OC thread up in the next week or two (working most of this week but I'll try :)).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.