1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

You knew about the Star Wars Kid

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Oxymore, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

2. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Let's hope that kid doesn't have Internet access... :rolleyes:

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] What is the point of those pictures? If whoever did them intended to humiliate the poor kid, then they probably succeeded. Have they really got nothing better to do with their time? What's worse is that people in the linked thread actually found it funny. :rolleyes:

4. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

lol poor kid :p

5. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm Really Really Really sorry....But some of the movie posters are hilarious!!! Like the one for Basic Instinct. I hope the kid is getting some $$ from this.

You have to admit, he has a very distinctive face...Some of them are downright cool.

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] That's correct, and totally beside the point. I'm making the assumption that the objective of whoever did up these pictures was to embarrass the kid. Did he ask to be put in these pictures? I doubt it. Is he a public figure who is therefore "fair game"? No.

This is no different than mean-spirited schoolyard taunting or bullying, and I think it's pretty cruel.

7. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Has anyone heard from the boy about it? Maybe he's the one that's doing it? You just never know these days...Infamy is, afterall, the new Fame!

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    LMAO! My favorite is the first one with the turban and sword - that one is just too perfect for his expression! Reminded me of that "Hassan Chop!" guy from that Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck cartoon.

Then that blue thing with the red nose and whiskers, and finally the Legolas one.

Man, I almost had a fit laughing at those three.

Now, if the kid is humiliated by the liberties taken with his image, then that's unfortunate, but it doesn't make the images any less funny. Personally, if it were me in those photos, I'd get a kick out of it, though some of them were lame IMO.

9. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

ROFL. Poor kid. But also very funny :D

Some of those were very skill fully blended.

10. Splunge

Media:
    As would I, if it were me. The difference, of course, is that you and I are mature adults who have learned to laugh at ourselves. Plus, unless we have some very immature enemies, the pictures would probably be meant as good-natured ribbing.

I can’t really tell how old this kid is, but he probably hasn’t reach an age where he can just laugh this sort of thing off. Not only that, but (and again, I’m making an assumption here), whoever did this probably did it maliciously.

If we’re going to laugh at this sort of thing (and I realise I’m taking this to an extreme here), then we might as well laugh at some nigger who’s been tarred and feathered because it’s just such a damned funny sight; forget fact that the tar-and-feathering was motivated by something other than friendly joking.

My point is, if a person hasn't agreed to something that is likely to be humiliating to them, then why are we laughing?

11. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Come on it's a little funny in the least. There's no better humor than laughing at someone else. It may sound bad but it is :p

12. Splunge

Media:
    I remember something I heard a long time ago (I don't recall the source, and it may not be an exact quote):

"Humour comes not from being able to laugh at others, but from being able to laugh at ourselves"

This can be extended to mean - don't laugh at someone else unless they invite it.

There has been a lot of reseach done on the detrimental effects of taunting and teasing of young people, and none of it leads to positive results. Sure, the pictures are humourous if taken in isolation, but how do you think the person who is the brunt of the "joke" feels? Just put yourself in his shoes, and recognise the likely intent of the whole thing, and then decide how you would feel.

13. trillex Gems: 13/31

Just a little reply from me, but, Splunge, have you never laughed from one of those basic 'fall on your tail' things?

Just look at Jackass, I don't know why but I can just laugh my butt of from some of those stunts. They are pros though and do it for a living.

It's is a total humiliation for the kid, of course, but somehow still fun. And most of us does think that after we smiled a little over those pictures.

14. fade Gems: 13/31

The impression that I got was that they didn't know the kid, they just found his picture and photoshopped it. It says it was originally posted on other forum, so for all we know the kid coulda done it himself.

15. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Well I found it funny but I agree with Splunge that if the kid wasn't in on it, then it is very nasty. I still found it funny though - so I guess I am a horrible person ;)

16. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Well, it's pretty darn funny, but it's also bad.

Funnier than bad though :D

17. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Fankly I'd love for someone to photoshop my face like that. Congratulations kid, yer famous!

18. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I have to admit these are pretty funny. I think that the kid in the pics, whether consenting or not, will find some way to benifit from these pictures.

Maybe it will help him meet chicks...

19. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] This is funny and very, very mean! :rolleyes: :toofar:

I love the one of him on Mount Rushmore! I think the kid would be honored to be chisled in stone with Washington, Lincoln and Jefferson!

They did leave out one movie though - Austin Powers 2. They should have put his face in "Fat Bastard". GET IN MY BELLY! :evil:

20. Splunge

Media:
    Alright, I seem to be the lone voice fighting a losing battle here, so I’m going to give this just one more shot before I let it go. (I know, “finally”, you’re all saying.)

First off, I want to reiterate my assumption that the boy did not do this himself (so Trillex, in that case the Jackass analogy doesn’t work here). If he did (or if he started it, and other people took it further), then it’s a different story. However, given that it’s called “Fat Boy”, and include such pictures as his face on female bodies, I think it's unlikely.

So, assuming the pictures were done by someone intending to humiliate the kid, consider this - he looks like he would fit one of the stereotypes of a video game player.
    Maybe he likes PC games.
    Maybe he likes d&d-based CRPG’s.
    Maybe awhile back he decided to join SP because it seemed to be a cut above the other gaming forums out there, and he is now a well-liked member of the SP community.
    And maybe he’s reading this thread, and seeing everyone here laughing at him.
    Do you still think it’s funny?

OK, so maybe it’s unlikely that he’s an SP member. But think about the SP members we have who may be overweight, or have an unusual-looking face, or have some other physical characteristic they’re uncomfortable with. And they’re looking at these pictures, almost seeing themselves, not wanting to post a reply saying how they feel, but thinking “if everyone’s laughing at this poor kid, then they’re basically laughing at me”. Do you think it’s funny now?

The point being, this isn't just some nameless person whose pictures are all over the 'net. This could just as easily be someone you know and like.

OK, as promised, I'll stop now.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.