1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Almost died this morning!!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sir Belisarius, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Wow!!! The roads are bad this morning! It amazes me how bad the roads are here when it snows. And my driving doesn't help matters...I've had a 4x4 SUV for a year now, and I still think it's a Bradley Fighting Vehicle!

Anyway, I've learned the hard way about taking it easy in the snow. I was coming off an entryramp onto a highway when I hit a patch of ice. My truck did the wildest fishtail I've ever experienced! I damn near spun completely around 3 times...But managed to fishtail out of danger!

I almost flipped her! I could feel her going over just as I came out of the last fishtail - I am sooooooo glad no one was very close to me or I would have hit them....I am ONE LUCKY bastard!

Anyway, be safe out there! Happy Friday!

2. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    That reminds me of this one time, my mom was driving and it was really icey out, and she flipped. Nothing spectacular, but she totalled the roof of the van.

3. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] Wow I'm glad you're alright Sir Bel :eek:

Drive safe everyone :)

4. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Yeah snow's the worst driving weather, or combine it with a frozen ground (dutch it's ijzel) and you're actually better off the road.

5. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    This is why I take SEPTA, Bel. Glad you're OK!

6. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Thanks, ma! But Beliware has no public metro system to speak of...One line, three stops, and it takes an hour!

So I have to put it into 4wd, and hope the other knuckleheads on the road don't do me in!

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You have winter tires? They are a lifesaver, blank summer tires are a bit skittish on blank ice.

8. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] I don't know...They call them "all weather" tires over here. You don't mean the ones with little metal spikes in them, do you? They are outlawed in the US.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The little metal spikes can be very useful if there truly is a sheet of ice on the road, they do eat away on the roads though. Are they outlawed up in Alaska as well? That would be kinda mean. There are plenty of other winter tires, a lot coarser and rougher surface than the normal tires. Here it is the law that you have to have winter tires atleast during the winter. I dont know about those all weather tires but judging by how your car acted this morning I would say that they are not the same. :)

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31

In Canada we normally use the all weather tires during the summer and switch to snow tires during the winter (well, at least those of us who actually know what we are doing and don't want to toboggan our cars down the black ice).

They are made for driving on ice and snow but do not have the metal studs which are illegal for road driving here as well. I don't know if they are available down there, or if they are called the same thing as they are up here in the Great White North, but you could always go into a tire store and tell them that some crazy Cannuck told you to ask for snow tires.

If you are going to be driving one of those tipsy SUVs I would say that full snow tires are a winter essential.

[ December 05, 2003, 15:59: Message edited by: JSBB ]

11. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Speak for yourself. I use all-seasons year-round. In the winter, I use the somewhat novel concept of, are you ready?, adjusting my driving patterns to take road conditions into consideration. :p

BTW Bel, I'm glad you're OK. :)

12. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    Splunge wrote:
    You heard it here, folks...Canadians are crazy!!! ;) :p

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Whew! Take care Bel, you wouldn't be much use to us all squashed up. Drive slowly. :shake:

What about tire chains?

Btw, I use all-weather tires throughout the whole year as well. But then, I usually don't drive around that much in winter (or at high speeds :shake: ). Still, I've never had any problems yet.

14. JSBB Gems: 31/31

With a few regional exceptions, they are illegal for road driving in Canada, and I imagine the U.S. as well.

I have a few friends who say the same thing. I laugh at them when it gets a little icy and I have near perfect traction and they are forced to either drive like little old ladies or do the old slip and slide down the road.

Of course I adjust how I drive to take into account the road conditions but does that mean that I shouldn't take the small amount of time required to switch tires in order to considerably improve traction? :rolleyes:

What, you only figured that out now? It just goes to prove everything that we say about how ignorant our southern neighbours are about us. ;)

[ December 05, 2003, 17:02: Message edited by: JSBB ]

15. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    Firstly Glad your safe :) but why not invest in some tank tracks I'm sure they'll slow you down enough to be going at a safe speed...oh and they'll grip! :p .

16. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] Hah!

Thats revenge of countless innocent ALFA players who lost near infinite characters to your malicious use of "Kill character" button.
    No wonder you became a DM so soon :p :shake:

17. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Are you nuts? Bel with tank treads would be unable to resist the temptation to crush puny motorists.

18. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, after my perhaps somewhat inflammatory previous post (not intended to provoke JSBB – honest :p ), I should elaborate. Here, in the winter, temperatures tend to be substantially below freezing. When it snows, we get the hard-packed stuff, but we tend not to get the really icy conditions that are encountered when temperatures are just a few degrees below freezing. Plus on the Prairies, we don’t really have any hills to contend with. It’s still a bit slippery, but since traffic slows down when it snows anyway, I don’t really find that snow tires are necessary here. However, in places where it's a bit warmer or more hilly, it would be a different story.

Plus, I’m too cheap to spend the money on ‘em. :xx:

19. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

ROTFLMAO!!! Your right Shralp! Bel should NOT I repeat NOT be aloud to use tank treads!

Poor Bel..you be careful now you here! No matter what tires are on your little motorvehicular!

20. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You must try harder :shake: ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.