1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pariah Dog!

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by Alavin, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Fallout 2 - I am being followed by the bane of my existence. The Pariah Dog, from a certain special encounter, is following me. My luck is set to 1, and everyone suffers critical misses seemingly every shot. Apparently the only way to get rid of it is to kill it, but it has 750 hp! And with all these critical misses, I drop my weapon, drop all my ammo or shoot myself constantly. I need a plan to get rid of this thing! I've been to the Toxic Caves, hoping that the acid will hurt it, but it doesn't. The guide I read recommends the Sierra Army Depot's electric floor, but I'm about level 8. Please, someone... Help... :bang:

2. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Critical misses happen a lot less when the odds of hitting are low. If you have high enough weapons skill, it should only take a few minutes to kill it by yourself with small arms, especially if you can make targeted shots (use a scoped hunting rifle). If you can get your hands on a flamer or a bozar (and have about 125% in big guns), it'll take even less time. The pariah dog has a lot of HP, but it is easy to hit and doesn't absorb much damage.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  3. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Reload an earlier save.

4. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    That's the best you can do and pray that you won't run into it. I got it once and killing it didn't help (the corpse followed me around... Bug or not it was a real pain).

5. Alavin

I hope that's not all I can do... I only ever keep one save. I don't reload for any reason other than death, and my last save was after getting the pooch anyway. I'll just try shooting it in the face and hope it stays dead. Thanks.

EDIT: On a related note, what's up with the accuracy of my hunting rifle? It's scoped (the one from New Reno), and usually when I aim I get 95% chance to hit anywhere, but sometimes it's just about a 65% for a chest shot. I have about 125% in small arms. Is this because of that damn dog? I think it happened before I got it, but definitely not to this extent.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  6. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

The scoped hunting rifle is designed for long range. It's much less accurate at close range.

7. Drew

Media:
    This is why its always a good idea to pair the scoped rifle with a close or mid-range weapon. I recommend pairing it with a .44 revolver for the early game. The optimal ranges for these two weapons overlap perfectly and, if you want, you can get by with it all the way to San Francisco.

Back to the Pariah dog, he's not hard to kill if you pair a scoped rifle (the pariah dog likes to run away) with a good submachine gun. Make sure your chance to hit is always high, since this lessens the chance of critical failures. The goal is to knock the dog out (for this, head shots actually work better than eye shots), get close, and burst like crazy. Alternatively, you could knock it out, cripple its legs, and then try to kill it with head or eye shots. Once its legs are crippled, the Pariah Dog is a sitting duck, but you should probably keep taking a few head shots here and there to keep it unconcious. I've never had problems with being followed around by the corpse of the pariah dog. Killing it worked just fine for me.

8. Alavin

Managed to gun it down - took much less effort than expected. Maybe the Restoration mod reduced its hp or something, because I'm sure I only did about 150 damage to it. But now it's a corpse, and I can progress.

Thanks for the advice re the hunting rifle - I've now paired it with a .223 pistol, since they both use the same (common) ammo.

9. Drew

Media:
    Maybe you scored a fatal critical hit, although I find it doubtful, given your luck score (since you need at least a 6 to take Better Criticals and unlock insta-kills).

A good choice. A .44 revolver with a speed loader isn't a bad idea, either. It does a little less damage, but you can get in an extra targeted attack each round, depending on your action points.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.