1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout 2 on XP?

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by Ofelix, Aug 30, 2005.

1. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Aye - the european version merely removed the sprites for any children (to remove the possibility that the player could kill those children) however the code routines still have their actions (ghostly comments anyone? :) ) The problem arises in...er, that first town you get to - one guy rules over a horde of kids who pickpocket stuff for him - if the kids don't have visible/clickable sprites, you can't talk to them and buy back anything they filch...which is a REAL pain if it happens to be a quest item! :grr:

Anyway, I got through a relative in jolly ol' Blighty the euro version of F2, with no kid sprites. Then I got hold of the UK patch - leaves the sprites out, but fixes a lot of bugs, and *apparently* makes those little pickpockets a lot less trouble (not fixing their code completely tho) however I still avoided that guy's house to be safe.

IIRC there isn't a patch to bring the sprites back - not from Interplay/Black Isle, anyway. The US version had them, and that version's patch fixed most of the crashes, and the Euro version didn't have them, and same with it's patch. But the US patch won't work on the Euro version and vice versa. :(

The really galling thing is a couple of years back, when I was between jobs, I'd seen an 'EA twin pack' (they'd have a carboard 'flipy box' with two jewel cases of related games, like Need for Speed 'n' and 'n+1' ;) or Command & Conquer and C&C: Red Alert or Dungeon Keeper and DK2)

Amongst the pile of titles, there was a single copy of Fallout & Fallout 2. At the time, with money tight from being unemployed, I couldn't justify plunking down $20+tx for it.

Literally a month later, after I got a job and started earning an income, I returned to the big chain store, and naturally, it was gone; all the 'twin' packs were. Speaking with staff, I'd found out that poor sales of this stuff meant the store sent it back to the chain's central warehouse, where they'd apparently would hand off the product wholesale to a bargain distributor. *sigh*

Life likes to kick ya, don't it? :p

2. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I even got Fallout 1 to work on XP, matter of fact, i can't think of any games that don't run. I recently succesfully installed and played one of my all time favourites, the golden oldie Settlers 2, a game released in 1995 if i'm not mistaken. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.