1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dragon Age Forum News (Jan. 12, 05)

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by chevalier, Jan 13, 2006.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Here are today's Dragon Age forum highlights, taken from the Dragon Age Official Forum. Please take into account that these are only single parts of various threads and should not be taken out of context. Bear in mind also that the posts presented here are copied as-is, and that any bad spelling and grammar does not get corrected on our end.

David Gaider, Lead Writer

Dear Diary

Journals are a pretty utilitarian thing. I remember sneaking in a little tongue-in-cheek humour into them back in BG2, but overall I think they serve a specific purpose and that is to inform -- they are not really part of the storytelling.

Unless they were, of course, but that would be something else altogether.

As for humour in the rest of the game, I'd say the tone is a bit more serious than Baldur's Gate or NWN by comparison -- it's a much darker setting, after all. Wackiness and pop culture references would be out of place here, though that doesn't mean we can't have some in-game humour in the character interactions, when it's called for.

Varying the tone/style of the game

Major characters (those that appear in more than one area) are generally assigned to a single writer. They may not always write 100% of their dialogue, but they are at the very least responsible for going through that dialogue afterwards and making any edits they feel necessary to keep the character consistent with their own vision.

Like someone pointed out above, HotU was one example that showed us that we need to put our heads together as a group of writers on a project to talk more about things like tone and voice -- you'd think that would be obvious, I guess, but it's not easy trying to strike a balance between giving folks freedom and maintaining a group structure. We're still learning.

Bring back stupid!

There is no "stupid" dialogue as in NWN.

DA does, however, take advantage of an Intelligence stat to occasionally restrict and provide extra dialogue options.

More:

Will I be able to let someone else from my party do the talking. If my character is a rather dumb tank warrior (doesn#t mean that all warriaors are dumb) but my partry incorporates a well educated and extremely intelligent wizard, it'd be logical if the wizard spoke for the party. The warrior would still be the leader on the battlefield.
    No. You're rather specifically the leader of the party in DA and not just a member of it -- you are, after all, the one making all the decisions.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2018
  2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, designating a party member whenever you're approached by someone wanting to talk is not quite realistic and it isn't always doable, anyway. Everyone wants to talk to the leader. Of course, it could still be possible to designate a talker when you approach someone, but too much of it wouldn't be good, either.

Besides, what good is a battlefield leader who's too stupid to be allowed to open his mouth around people? He could have a smooth-talking silver tongue of a diplomat for an assistant, but ultimately the leader has to lead in negotiations as well. Unless you have a very democratic party, why not. But that would be a party game rather than anything with a protagonist, I think. Then again, I could be convinced otherwise, it's not like I have a very strong opinion here. I just tend to agree with David Gaider.

3. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I disagree. Although everyone always wants to speak to the people in charge, they often have to deal first with representatives. So why can't a party have an official spokesperson? It's not because that person is the spokesperson that he/she gets to make the decisions. Form and rp point of view it would be doable, as every decision made in dialogue (like accepting quest or not) could be taken after consulation of the actual leader.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.