1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dragon Age Forum News (Mar. 23, 05)

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by chevalier, Mar 23, 2005.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Here are today's Dragon Age forum highlights, collected by NWVault. Please take into account that these are only single parts of various threads and should not be taken out of context. Bear in mind also that the posts presented here are copied as-is, and that any bad spelling and grammar does not get corrected on our end.

David Gaider, Designer

The staff on your shoulder... and stuff.
    Well, two comments:

One, the reason the sorceress in the concept demo has the staff on her shoulder like that is because the animation comes right from NWN. I hear what you're saying, though.

Secondly, having the ability to completely refine your player character's appearance so he or she looks unique amongst a thousand other players is only really vital when you're intended to be amongst a thousand other players. Not that it wouldn't be nice anyhow, but I'm just sayin'.

Low Magic
    We've never said that Dragon Age would be in a low magic world. I remember one person asked if it would be low magic and I asked them to define what they meant, as people tend to mean very different things when they use such a term.

Non combat skills?
    Well, the emoting thing doesn't do much for me. Personally I don't see much reason to reinvent the wheel insofar as the style of communicating with NPC's in the game goes. We're not about to get all wacky and experimental in this regard, all of a sudden.

As for non-combat skills, so long as they have a reasonable use that does not have to be overly forced (as in going out of our way to create a use for the skill just so that it isn't comparitively useless to purchase), I don't see why not.

The staff on your shoulder... and stuff.

but choosing only between two faces and one hairstyle and two haircolours is not really good, nowadays.
    No need to worry about THAT.

Tom Ohle, Public Relations

Useless abilities and spells?
    Actually, we plan on putting in as many useless spells and abilities as possible--whenever we can, we will focus our efforts on those spells that do absolutely nothing. It's a much richer experience for the end-user that way... it's more realistic. Think about it, there's no magic in the real-world... so why should games have spells that actually DO stuff?

(I think I'm done with sarcasm for the day after that post)

Stanley Woo, Quality Assurance

Console Compatibility
    I, for one, would like it to be compatible with older consoles, like the Jaguar, the 3DO, the Virtual Boy, and Game and Watch! Oh yeah, and add one vote for the game to appear as 400,000 ViewMaster discs.

James Henley, Technical Designer

Please? Artist for Keldorn Firecam
    Actually, I do believe the artist you are looking for in this case is Mike Sass. You can see that portrait promoted on his site. :)

Console Compatibility

Also, I've played every AD&D game that Bioware has come out with that I could find. Both on PC and console.
    I'm assuming you mean Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 and 2? Those weren't done by us.

Please? Artist for Keldorn Firecam

I wanna say thanks again. I emailed the artist and he gave me his full permission to use it. All your help was invaluable.
    Glad to hear that you can continue to use the image as your avatar. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.