1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stanley Cup Playoffs 2011-2012

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Beren, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A thread for discussing this year's playoffs, and at this point suggesting how you think things might shake out.

Possible winners ...

Boston: If their bruising and bashing style remains good enough.

Detroit: If Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Lidstrom can stay healthy, then maybe.

Nashville: Always reliant on Rinne, and the Weber-Suter pairing. But maybe they're the dark house now that they added Gill, Kos****yn, and Radulov around the trade deadline.

Vancouver: Looks like they learned their lesson from last year, and traded for grit and defensive prowess at the deadline. The question here is will Daniel Sedin be ready in time? And can they shake off the choke tendency? I think Luongo also remains a question mark.

But perhaps the overall favorite is ...

Pittsburgh: You could almost call them contenders just on how Malkin was carrying them without Crosby. But now Crosby is back in earnest. Could be scary.

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    As a Bruin fan, I admit I'm not happy that we are playing Washington in the first round.

3. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Good grief, what the hell was Shea Weber thinking here!?:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Bit naughty! He should face a few match ban for that.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

5. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think the announcers made it out to be worse then it really was.

6. Beren

Media:
    I don't think Zetterberg was hurt, but something like that certainly had potential injury written all over it.

My thoughts were ... If Nashville is to have any serious hopes of making a run at the Cup, so much of it rests on Weber's shoulders, and he's the captain.

To do something like that right in front of the refs, and then face potential disciplinary action in front of Shanahan, that could be letting his team down in a really big way.

Edit: Ok, I just read that Weber got a fine for that, but still ... think about your own team there.

7. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Let's Go Flyers!

8. Beren

Media:
    I thought of mentioning Philly, but I wasn't sure since Pronger's out and the goaltending problems.

But then, Pittsburgh blew a 3 goal lead to lose in overtime. That was when I was reminded that all four of Philly's lines are legitimate threats to score.

9. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I don't think they can out last the Pens w/out Pronger, but the beauty of Playoff Hockey is ANY team can get hot and blow out another, no matter who is on the ice.

10. Beren

Media:
    Indeed, I still remember the Oilers Cinderalla run in 2006 with a great deal of fondness. Hemsky's goal against Detroit towards the last minute of game 6, pure sweetness!

11. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Pens vs Flyers last night must have been one hell of a game. 158 PM's, unbelievable. I'll have to find the full match replay somewhere.

12. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I've spent my whole day parked on the couch watching hockey (God bless whoever spaced out all four games today so nicely) and every single game shows me how little the regular season matters. With the obvious exception of Nashville, and technically Florida even though they finished the season with 8 fewer points than New Jersey, the lower seeds have made fools of the higher ones lately.

The Hawks game last night was another great example of a team that hasn't been able to get their chemistry working but can still win. Kane, Toews, Hossa, and until the very end Sharp were completely invisible most of the night but they still prevailed.

The Pens, on the other hand, just look atrocious. Figures the one year I pick Fluery in my playoff pool this happens...

Most importantly, the Canucks deserve to be swept after the shameful display that town put on last year. That was the one time in my life I've been embarrassed to call myself Canadian. I am seriously relishing the 3-0 lead the Kings have now, what can I say? :D

In conclusion, GO HAWKS & PREDS!!!!!!

---------- Added 0 hours, 2 minutes and 6 seconds later... ----------

Oh, also as soon as the Flyers get to the second round I hope they get obliterated. After the Canucks they are the least respected team in my eyes.

13. Beren

Media:
    It's not just the riot. It's also the diving (especially Kesler) and whining and everything else from the team itself that makes them so despised around the league.

I also participate in the Oilers' message boards, and I can tell you just about everybody is cheering on the Kings.

I thought the Canucks might be in trouble without Daniel Sedin, and it turns out I was right. Henrik looks lost out there.

And Jonathan Quick is slamming the door on any offence the Canucks can muster. The writing is on the wall.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, they seem to be handling my beloved Pens quite nicely.

15. Beren

Media:
    Check this out:

:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  16. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The music in that video is *so* appropriate, Beren. Love it!

17. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It was. never seen anything like it for a while.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Except that it was more a fight than a game.

19. reepnorp

Media:
    So this will clearly be the awful hit being talked about tomorrow: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=628433

As a Blackhawks fan, as well as someone who never liked Raffi Torres, I say throw the book at him. He had plenty of time to slow down or change course after Hossa touched the puck, there's a jumping movement in there (whether he left the ice or not it's hard to say) and he defintely targetted the head. Simple disgusting if you ask me.

What is going on with these playoffs? I honestly would not be surprised if a team like Florida, New Jersey or Ottawa ends up winning because the serious contenders have beaten each other half to death.

20. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The second thing that came to my mind was the NFL.

I think it is time for the NHL to set the boundaries a bit tighter. Suspensions after the game based on video-images might be best.

---------- Added 0 hours, 2 minutes and 34 seconds later... ----------

One word of caution: at any cost prevent soccer type prim a-donna's .

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.