1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG2 - Dungeon-Be-Gone Mod Review

Discussion in 'Mod Reviews' started by NaeVa, May 8, 2004.

1. NaeVa Banned

Dungeon-Be-Gone for Baldur's Gate 2
    Version: V.1.4
    Review first posted on: 4/21/04
    Review updated: N/A
    Mod download location: http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=98&Itemid=79

Dungeon-Be-Gone Mod Review
    By NaeVa` (AKA Va)

--Introduction­­
    When I first heard of this mod through an SP friend of mine, my first thought was: “Awesome! No more boring goblin encounters and crappy first level weapons!” And so, I downloaded Dungeon-Be-Gone for Baldur’s Gate II, thinking it to be at the least, a small improvement to the game. In actuality, it turned out better than I expected.

--Installation--
    The WeiDU installer package was very easy to use. However, the mod does have a small chance of conflicting with any custom files you may have made.

--Animation--
    In the beginning of Irenicus’s dungeon, right after you have the initial talk with him, Jasper St. Baird, the DBG Non-joinable NPC, appears by way of a Dimension Door. His sprite is not of any significance, as it is a default BGII sprite.

--Voicing and Dialogue--
    Although a lot of people think the voice acting is annoying, I find it quite hilarious. The line “…Haer’Dalis jackass” will remain with me for quite a while.

--Functionality--
    Ahh…here’s the meat of this review, the actual explanations of what the mod does, and how good it does it. For starters, this mod is for one dungeon only, the beginning dungeon of the game. One. That’s all. Upon talking to the DBG NPC, the protagonist is confronted with several choices, and even has the option of picking up Yoshimo from the second floor. Once that’s good and done, the party is transported to the tunnel leading to the exit of the dungeon. Jasper St. Baird then gives the party the option of holding on to some silver acorns for some “very appreciative dryad chicks.” After this, boom. Utter pandemonium. St. Baird gives you a bunch of equipment, flooding your screen with text and voices of “I can’t hold any more.” It would have been much better if the loot were spread out between characters. Oh well. I suppose it’s for the best. One other thing. Many of you may be wondering "Why do I want to skip the first dungeon?" Well, if you're a veteran player, you may find playing through the same areas overly tedious. This mod removes the need to do that.

--Flaws and Overlooked Stuff--
    There is no option to free Minsc and Jaheira from their cells if you went straight to Jasper St. Baird, rather than freeing them first. Admittedly, it’s easy to do, but it would be nice if it were included.

--Conclusion--
    Overall, the mod is excellent. I found it to be a decent addition to my gaming experience. Without the flaws and other minor bad things above, this would be a perfect mod.

[ May 11, 2004, 21:32: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

What's with the question marks instead of apostrophes?

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Since the author hasn't been responding to my notices, I've fixed it myself.

4. Razal'dar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I've had a few buggy problems with this mod. Firstly, on my computer it isn't compatible with Unfinished Business.
    Secondly, I found that unless you bring Minsc and Jaheira with you, Jasper St.Baird will not spawn again at the exit.
    Other than these I found the mod very useful and entertaining.

5. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I had that same bug, except I found that only if you tried it solo (ie. you having Immy or Yoshimo would fix it) would Jasper not spawn. Same thing happens if you kick everyone out and exit alone (although that doesn't matter because you get group XP anyway).

UB and D-b-G work fine together on my puter. After all, they're both hosted by the Pocket Plane Group.

6. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

It is a very good mod, very usable. It's not fully compatible with the Chloe PC because of her appearing somewhere in the dungeon. A pity. Just left her... to die.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

:evil: Serves her right... :evil:

Anyway, I think this mod is a great solution for skipping the initial "getting to know" -phase of the game, and it's a shame that there isn't similar one for Icewind Dale 2 (goblins again). :)

8. NaeVa Banned

Yeah, sorry about that, Tal.

Seems my text editor (no MS word ATM) messed up the words when they were translated to here.

Sorry.

9. Korgal the Strong Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

skipping a part of the game that directly connects to the plot is wrong. not playing a piece of the game or cheating to get something in a game isnt fun IMO. when i beat the game using cheats or say this mod then i dont ge the satisfaction of beating the game. because i havent actually beaten the game ive just played through it. beating a game involves finishing the ENTIRE game not just a piece. this mod is shameful!

10. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I installed Dungeons -b-Gone. After the umpteenth time of playing the intro is boring. When first playing a game I play the vanila game. One of the things that makes BG I & II so replayable are the mods. Thanks guys/gals.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I have to disagree Korgal. If you've gone through the beginning as many times as I have, you simply don't find any challenge in doing so again. While I admit that I don't normally play with this mod, as Tactics does restore the challenge to Irencus's dungeon, to say you didn't complete the game because you used dungeon-be-gone isn't a fair assessment.

12. GodRules44 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Yeah you have a few emotional problems there Korgal... gotta calm down. There is no point in Irenicus' dungeon except for getting to know controls so experienced players who see it as just a waste of time can skip it, it's easy that way.

13. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Korgal...

If you KNOW you can beat it blindfolded, then why does it matter whether you skip it? I'm practically able to recite every string of spoken dialogue in Chapter 1. I need to... get... away...!

14. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I've got to agree with Korgal there. It's part of the game, modding is increasing the playability of a game by adding story, characters, items etc. Not to cut a whole chapter out of the game.

My 2 eurocents

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Heh, no one is forcing you to use it. It's there for those who find repeating the dull beginning over and over tedious. And those people appreciate it. Just because your idea of modding includes only adding things does not mean it's the sacred truth. For those who would get so bored with having to redo the initial dungeon over and over again that they'd rather not play the game than have to do it all again, being able to skip it certainly does increase the playability.

16. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I thinkt his mod is excellent. It has added to the re-playability vastly. Jasper St.Baird is very funny and adds to the game.

Going through Jon's dungeon is such a chore.

17. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I had a few problems with this mod and a full multiplayer party, but can't recall what it was :/

I must note that thedialogue, voice acting and all the other "frilly" stuff is what makes this mod a real fave of mine :D

18. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

I am not sure if its this mod but I seen something along the lines of "sick of your famaliar, try xxxx shop" on the 'advise screen' on loading times. Is this a new feature or just a joke.

Its from either this mod or 'Unfinished Business'.

19. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

It's from Unfinished Buisness.

20. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Yes I know what mod its from but does the place exist and if so where?

cheers

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.