1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

IE Sci-Fi game?

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by Brallrock, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

This is a two part question. PC platfrom.

1. A friend of mine told me that he thought there was a Infinity Engine game set in a post appoctolyptic world but he couldn't remember the name. Anyone heard of this, and what is the name?

2. If it does exist, is it any good?

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

1. The game you're thinking of is Fallout - but it isn't Infinity Engine.

2. Yes, it's excellent.

3. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Fallout, that is what he called it. He thought it was IE, is it set up anything the same as the BG interface?

4. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

It's not Excellent, it's the best

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

It has an isometric view - but it's mostly not the same. Combat is turn based, for a start.

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Many things are different. It's old, but still, Fallout 2 seems to be more advanced than many current cRPGs in anything else than graphics and sound and it's not like those are bad, either, even though long years have passed.

7. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Combat in all of the IE games is also turn-based. Each character does the action assigned in his/her turn.

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Oh, want to have the age old debate of whether they're turn based or not, hmm? :p

They are not turn based - they're real time with pause. Yes, actions are done in a 'turn' - but this turn only actually affects gameplay if you have autopause at the end of every round on - otherwise it doesn't influence the way you play at all, making it - for all intents and purposes - real time.

9. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Fallout 1&2 remain the best RPGs I've played (with the possible exceptions of Torment and KOTOR).

10. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Speaking about Fallout, check out my new wallpaper.

Fallout wallpaper

Oh don't expect these graphics in the actual game :D

11. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Well I geuss I'll have to give it a try. Ebay here I come.

@Apeman, cool wallpaper!

Thanks all for the help, and advice.

Now for another question. What is the difference between trun based and what is on BG, BGII, IWD, and IWDII? These are the only CRPGs I've played.

12. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Have you ever played Final Fantasy?

Each team moves after the other. I can't remember exactly how it works in fallout (whether teams go or individual people go depending on stats) but basically it works like
    1. Your Action
    2. Ally action
    3. Enemy action
    4. Other enemy
    1. You again
    etc.
    Nobody will ever be moving simultaneously.

The amount of stuff you can do (move, then shoot, or shoot twice, etc) is dependent on your stats, specifically your number of action points.

13. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I think I understand, this would probably make for slower battles. This is not a problem for me I pause often anyways.

@Sparhawk, I must assume that you are an Eddings fan. My first fighter in BG1 was Barak, and I tried a monk in BG2 named Silk. Eddings rules!

14. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The battles are quite methodical, but since they're at quite a close in viewpoint they're incredibly fun. Especially with the 'Bloody Mess' trait :)

(Actually, I've only read the Elenium and Tamuli; I must assume your references are from the Belgarath or Polgara series. But Eddings does rule :) )

15. kuemper Gems: 31/31

You might find the isometric view problematic. I had a hard time finding and hitting enemies in three quarter perspective. Buggers kept hiding behind *walls*! :lol:

16. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

If you find fallout 2, patch it and patch it fast. The game was buggy as hell when released and can be near impossible to finish. The patch fixes most of the bugs though, or atleast I did not meet any new bugs after I patched.

Also the game is a lot more "rough" than any of the infinity games (torment comes close but still not quite enough). So expect a lot of sex, drugs, swearing and violence.

17. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Great, my 3 y/o loves all that stuff. Guess I'll have to scratch theat game off the list. Thanks for all the input, you helped me make my choice.

18. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

You could have mentioned it was for your 3 year old, fallout would indeed not be the best choice :rolleyes:

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

lol - yeah, that bit of information was probably important :p

... You should get it anyway :p

20. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

It wasn't for my 3 y/o but she spends alot of time in the room when I play my PC games and I tend to zone out and not know exactly when she is in the room. My wife would kick my a$$ if my daughter started spouting off about "grown up" stuff. I suppose I could get it and only play it when she is in bed.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.