1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout 3: Failing Speech Checks and liking it...

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by Caradhras, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Just a thought, but I'm beginning to think that failing Speech checks yields far more satisfying results at times. On most occasions it is better to succeed in which case you get extra XP and more rewards. Nevertheless failing is not without rewards of its own.

It can open optional quests, for instance in Moriarty's saloon,
    if you fail to convince Moriarty you'll be able to visit Silver in Springvale.

It increases both realism and immersion. From that perspective being able to convince anyone to do almost anything is less satisfying than having the satisfaction of failing to convince them.

In Megaton,
    you can convince Leo Stahl to give up drugs by succeeding a Speech check. I always felt that it was a bit awkward. I can't imagine a junkie mending his ways because some guy or gal from a Vault told him that it was bad and that he was ruining his life. In my last game I was actually glad I failed because it felt like my character was just stating the obvious and that Leo discarded what my character had to say which IMO made sense. My character felt that he had done what he could for that guy, he didn't feel that bad about buying chems from him.

Let's face it, if a total stranger walked up to you in the street or in a bar and started to talk you into something, it would be quite unlikely that you would agree to what he asked let alone listen to what he had to say.

With that in mind I think I'll enjoy failing my Speech checks in the future.

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, Speech checks no longer feel like a quest failed. Sometimes the results are even more satisfying than actually passing the test.

3. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I wouldn't invest too many points in that skill unless I wanted to RP some sort of guru/ self help expert (now that I think about it that would be a rather nice concept).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.