1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Okku or One of Many?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Beren, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Leave aside the roleplaying choice involved for the moment ...

On a practical level, who do you find more useful?

Pros for Okku:
    - Plenty of steady damage over the long haul
    - Claws and teeth take on adamantine properties at higher levels
    - Mammoth hit points

Cons for Okku:
    - Inflexibility compared to One of Many
    - Poor saving throws during what is an epic level campaign
    - Rarely if ever inflicts critical hits, despite having the improved critical feat, at least in my experience.
    - Can only equip an amulet and two rings.

Pros for One of Many:
    - Can change class between Barbarian, Rogue, and Warlock, immense flexibility
    - The Child has good skills distribution, and can usually score 100+ damage on a sneak attack
    - The Brute is no slouch when it comes to damage

Cons for One of Many:
    - Can't equip any items at all
    - Some people may not like the Mad Woman's choices of evocations
    - For some people, the Mad Woman may not be accessible until too late

Not meant to be exhaustive. If you have others to add along with your opinion, by all means.

2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I always go with Okku, and probably always will.

First off, I never seem to choose tank characters for my main character, and Okku fills that role nicely.

Okku is available almost immediately.

His resists can be bumped up a fair amount with items.

I nearly always handle the roguish abilities with my own character, so I wouldn't need OoM for that, plus you have to do a fair amount of questing before you can bring him into your party.

I have no interest in using OoM as a barbarian or a warlock... just preference.

From a roleplaying perspective I just really don't ever do the evil thing.

3. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I prefer Okku. I don't find One of Many that useful, but if I could bring another party member along I'd swap either Kaelyn or Gann for One of Many.

4. Dr_Asik Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I have no experience with Okku, but I've never found myself wishing for a better tank, even before unlocking OoM's Brute form. Kaelyn did perfectly fine. The game really isn't that difficult, at least on normal.

Towards the end game I started really capitalizing on OoM's Child form because all you have to do is place him behind ennemies and he sneak attacks constantly for massive damage. Much better damage than in his Brute form IMO. The Brute is the least useful of his forms: the Mad Woman's Eldritch Doom is basically guaranteed damage over an area and OoM can cast it constantly.

5. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    One thing that should be considered here, is that once you get your approval rating high enough with Okku, which isn't all that hard to do, he gains a +6 to will saves, and becomes immune to fear and mind affecting spells. Between that perhaps some equipment to boost his saves, his saves aren't that bad. You can also cast Greater Reistance on him to boost his saves by 3 for 24 hours.

@Dr_Asik
    I'm am a fan of your Let's Plays. What can I say, the "most boring commentary on the internet" appeals to me. :p

I'm particularly enjoying your Baldur's Gate let's play. Great game, and you are doing an excellent job bringing everyone along with you on the let's play. I'm impressed that you appear to "practice" before you record, so that you have a very clear idea what you're going to do. Must take a hell of a lot of your time. Makes for a nice final product though.

I've also watched a lot of your IWD2 Let's Play as well as your Mask of the Betrayer Let's Play, which I've been watching a couple of "episodes" a day of as of late. In fact, you inspired me to start a new MotB campaign just last night.

Keep up the good work!

6. Dr_Asik Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I'm rather amazed that anybody at all watches my LPs. Nonetheless, comments like this (and an ever-growing number of subscribers) is why I keep at it. So thanks! :)

7. NguyenGiaThai Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I dislike playing evil, so I havent tried One of Many yet.

But I find these advantages of Okku:

With the massive amount of HP each enemy possess, melee troops become very necessary, like Summons. They got so-so HP so you need to babysit them. Okku got massive HP so he can survive for awhile before you must heal him. With Nature's Avatar, Awaken, Flame Weapon, Greater Fang/Magic Weapon, you get a formidable fighting machine to keep enemies off your casters' backs.

Kaji, Safiya's familiar, is adequate rogue. He cant recover traps, but he can disable traps and open locks. Especially with buffs like Greater Heroism and Greater Cat Grace. A single stoneskin keep him alive through the most grievous trap, then we can resummon him as needed. So there's not much need for rogue in your party unless you like backstabs. Therefore you dont have much need of OoM first form.

Not that I used Okku much. Safiya, Gann, and the Cleric can summon nearly as good but disposable creatures, plus their spells. I used Okku for certain events only.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.