1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout 3 to be developed by Bethesda

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by Sirus, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Sure they get a chance, I'm just gonna be extremely pessimistic until they prove my doubts wrong. If it turns out to be good - I'll more than likely get it. However, if they find goodness and Falloutyness mutually exclusive, then I say they they don't deserve any chance at all and should be ripped into little pieces.

2. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Well to many the chances on a fallout 3 really slimmed the last couple of years. It has been cancelled 2 times already and I think it's our right to be pessimistic and in my opinion realistic. If Bethsoft really want to make Fallout3, they will have to start listening to the fans. Oh..and play the games from now on 6 hours a day :)

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

On the other hand - if Bethesda can pull this off then they inherit the most fanatical fanbase in existance. Hell, Tim Cain practically has his own cult. And I read that Bethesda have the rights to a Fallout 4 and Fallout 5 too (damn is seems strange to think beyond number 3 ;) )

4. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well I hope not. I can't afford to waste the same ridiculous amounts of time to gaming I did when Fallout 2 came out (and for a few years after that).

Wait, who am I kidding. Who cares about studying and life if there's *Fallout*!! Bring it on! :D

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Don't get too biased, from the interview I've seen that the makers are fan of Fallout as well (They have been planning the game for years before they got the rights).
    So I don't think they will totally kill the Fallout atmosphere, just the view ;) .

But it isn't going to be a Morrowind view, as the interview says that they will use a different engine (You are not going to rewrite a whole damn engine if you can use the Morrowind one, right? Think money :p ).

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Then why do they seem to have *NO IDEA* what they are doing? Planning for years, yet, they're saying it's "too early to say" when asked a simple question such as if it's going to be first or third person, real time or turn-based.

7. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Every developer says they're hugely interested / been fans for years / looking forward to this challenge. And the new engine is just a new engine. I mean face it, after a year or two Morrowind's graphics engine will be quite old. It was remarkably beautiful at the time it came out, but when you compare the lightings and polygons to what games like Halflife II will offer, it's not even a competition. And I think they're going for better than that, graphics wise (it was a big part of Morrowind afterall). Anyway, the engine has nothing to do with wether it's 1:st person or not. Even Morrowind enabled you to take a very stiff sort of "behind the shoulders" view.

8. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    They always say that, if they did tell, a number of potential fans would just walk away, "I prefer the IE view".

Furthermore, what if what they are saying is true, maybe they would be unsure of wether they keep the old atmosphere or doing what they are good at.

Bethesda has shown that they can do more than Morrowind, the Pirates of the Caribean game is an RPG, is 3d and that's about it for major similarities.
    Plus they made racing games, and are working on Call of Cthulhu as I already have said in this thread, I've seen the trailers, Morrowind?? Doesn't look like it.

Don't BG and IWD2 have the same engine?
    Updating an engine saves money, and "makes use of reusable code", and that is what every manager is droning today, "reusable code, saves money".

9. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Indeed, Id software for example has been very succesful because of their capability to create graphic engines, they can then sell the engine to other game studios and make money both by selling their own game and selling the engine. Creating an engine is one of the most expensive processess in the creation of games.

I am very hopeful about this but I'm a little worried how the fallout world can be made work in 3d. I'm worried that they'll do whatever it takes to avoid the k18 label and therefore the world won't be as cruel and violence (which is a part of the fallout feeling) won't be implemented properly.

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

11. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31

These are the people that made Morrowind. (one of the best RPGs ever!)
    While it may not be as good as Fallout 1 or 2, I still think it's going to be a great game.

12. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Aikanaro's article should put some hope back to some of you(I hope :) ). They haven't ruled out turn based yet and it's definitely going to be M rated

13. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well I don't know much about the age restrictions in USA, but I assume M means that the game is not to be sold to people under 18 years of age, am I correct? If so then that's one worry less and only 999 things left to be worried about with this game :D

14. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Yes and they should put back kids in the game too, If I wanna plant tnt on stealing kids (the den) then I should be able too ;)

15. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I never saw what was so wrong about being able to kill every living thing on the planet as long as they aren't children. Sure, it's a nasty thing to do but it's not like someone is going to play Fallout, kill children in the game then start killing kids in real life.

16. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

And if they're going to leave them out they better do it better than Fallout 2 did.

What's this? I have to find a child that doesn't exist? There's text floating in the air and nobody saying it? Help! Ghosts!

I want to be able to critically hit a child in the groin with a sledgehammer. Or shoot them with the Bozar.

17. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31

Or cap 'em in the head with a Desert Eagle ;)

Leave the kids in!!!

18. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Oh I agree here. And I actually was dumb enough to buy Fallout Radioactive when I saw it in a store without checking on it first. Of course being a previous owner of a US version of Fallout 2, I didn't even imagine they could do the blasphemous act of selling a censored version of it without notifying it to the buyer in big 40-sized fonts on the front of the package. Cheating, is what I call it. What's Fallout 2 without kids? Seriously, this isn't even a joke. The immersiveness suffers surprisingly much when you're used to them being there.

And I never killed them, except a few on accident with a minigun or somesuch.

[ July 23, 2004, 09:14: Message edited by: Foradasthar ]

19. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

The power of kids lies elsewhere you know. One of the funniest things I have ever seen in a game came off the hand (fist) of a child in Fallout.

Random encounter: Some homeless people fending off remnants of the masters army. One of those kids walked up to a super mutant and he hit that mutant right in the groin and he went critically over to the ground :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.