1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout: PoS2 news

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by Aikanaro, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The trailer looks good, but I felt rather disappointed afterwards. There was just this feeling of; 'Well, I now know nothing that I didn't know before.'

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    They seem to be on the right track, the teaser brought back some sweet memories from good old Fallout 1.

If only they get the story right (including dialogues and humour) it can be truly awesome.

Fall 2008 is not that bad, it means they won't rush it to the stores (which means fewer bugs and a better gameplay). I hope fallout fans all around the world won't be disappointed!

3. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Game Informer recently released an article on Fallout 3 that related a demonstration they experienced which showed some of the stuff which is going into F3:

-Combat is a turn-based/real-time hybrid ala BG, and targeted shots are still in. AP is still in, and works similiar to Tactics. Apparently the enemy AI is actually smart enough to do their own targeting, as well.
    -No level scaling. So don't be surprised when a super mutant accosts you and beats into a pulp.
    -SPECIAL is in, and apparently you still get perks, albeit every other level. The level cap is 20.
    -your Pipboy can tune into surviving radio stations and listen to pre-war music.
    -Survival is a much greater factor in F3, as you need to make sure you've got supplies of water and food. You can also modify your own weapons with pieces from others, and equipment can degrade over time, either from wear-and-tear or actual physical damage from combat.
    -Children are in, and you can probably kill them, you twisted freaks.
    -At least 9 different endings.

4. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

The reaction of the fallout 'hardcore' fanbase (I consider myself one) has hit rock bottom.

I disagree though, this may (and I do mean may) be the evolution that fallout needs. Whether we can call it fallout 3 in a roleplaying sense remains to be seen.

5. Clixby Gems: 13/31

That's because the "hardcore" fanbase are three steps away from saying that Fallout 1 wasn't Fallout-y enough and collapsing into a vortex of hypocrisy. NOTHING Bethesda can do will ever redeem F3 in their minds, because they so desperately want it to fail.

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Clixby - don't be stupid. Why is it so hard for people to accept that Fallout fans just want Fallout games that are actually like Fallout, rather than some psychotic hatred filled nutters who want to **** on everything Fallout?

If Bethesda were going to make a proper Fallout game (which we now know that they're not), I'm quite sure that Fallout fans would give them a chance. In my experience Fallout fans are extremely critical, but are mostly happy to give credit where credit's due.

The combat system sounds like the most retarded thing ever. Way to go making a true abomination in order to draw in the masses. The viewpoint also sets off my 'well that's extremely ****ing stupid' alarm. So that's two things that are important to the original that they've totally thrown out.

It sounds very much like they've failed at the setting also - handheld nuclear cannons, nuclear reactors in cars, modernised looking clothing, whatever the **** that behemoth thing is trying to be, that really horrible looking super mutant (looks like an enemy from Doom, not from Fallout) ... bah.

It sounds like a pretty crappy attempt at a Fallout game atm. Sure, it shows some potential on the RPG side of things - but I frankly doubt Bethesda's ability to pull that off decently either. If this wasn't being called Fallout 3, I'd probably be enthusiastically interested in it. At the moment all it does is leave a bad taste...

This is not the evolution that Fallout needs - I would rather Fallout just die than be raped. There really isn't any good reason to totally change sequels to games except to cash in on their name with the mainstream, and this is exactly what I see happening here.

7. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Link:

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36877 - The Game Informer Fallout 3 article on NMA.

It looks and feels like Bethesda... I am not going to judge the game based on an early hype article. But at least that big boss looks horrid and the combat system might be quite crap. We will see...

8. Clixby Gems: 13/31

That's why I was referring to the "hardcore" fanbase, not the non-insane one. But, hey, thanks for calling me stupid, you skilled debater, you!

The cars in the Fallout setting ran on nuclear reactors, just like the 50's Science Of Tommorow said they would. Can you not even remember the Highwayman in F2?

yeah, bethesda should just make all Super Mutants look exactly the same, like Black Isle did. Actually, that's a lie- there were two separate sprites. Innovation, people. And there was me thinking super mutants were SUPPOSED to be over-muscled freaks, but hey, you obviously know the franchise a lot better than I do, so bonus e-peen points for you.

You know what, I'm finished here, because this is exactly what I was talking about with people just finding things to whine about so they can keep their smug sense of dissatisfaction. You'd obviously feel more at home in NMA where you can join in with everyone else about how that guy's Power Armor is definitive proof that Bethesda eats orphans or whatever.

9. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

everything listed here sounds freaking awesome, so im awaiting the silly hardcore fans to come up with even more BS to why this isn't proper fallout.
    some of the BS the "real" fans spew sounds like a bad parody of old men talking about how everything was better in the old days

10. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, Equester, I guess only time will tell. While I'm not overly positive about this (I really didn't like either Morrowind or Oblivion, even after properly testing them. I know this is not them, but still, it can be of some indication), I won't be judging it before at least seeing some footage and possibly a demo.
    But, as I was saying, it all depends on how well they present those features (and everything else as well). Sure, it might be awesome, but it might also be dull. But I guess only time will tell.

11. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Goli that sounds like the right aproache, I never played Oblivion, but i did find some enjoyment in morrowind. but the way some people insist on screaming its not fallout even before the game is out, is just sad.

12. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

The only thing I am really afraid of is that they focus on the X-box and PS3 and then do a lousy port to the PC. Now that would be a violation of fallout in my book. They should have separate teams like they do on the development of Bioshock.

Aik

What is your avatar on NMA? Assuming you have one of course, from the way you see things you would fit right in.

[ June 18, 2007, 16:02: Message edited by: Apeman ]

13. Clixby Gems: 13/31

The Pip-Boy menu looks like it was designed for ease of use with consoles, but it also looks pretty simple. Not like that abomination from Oblivion. Was that the only problem that came from multi-platform release, or was there other stuff? I can't seem to remember.

I'm vaguely considering starting a proper discussion thread with the Gameinformer info and everything in the first post as a primer and a less insane title, but I'm afraid it'll just turn into a flamewar. If I start a new thread, will people post in it without trying to make it into a "BETHESDA SUX" trollfest?

14. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, menus are probably the biggest thing. Otherwise, since it's FPS-styled, I don't think there will be too much problems. Not sure how aimed shots are going to be handled (well, simpliest way would be just aim and fire, but those percents on the image make me believe there's something more to it), but time will tell.
    As for the new thread, It would be nice to discuss about the game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.