1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout wasn't that good

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by Clixby, May 8, 2007.

1. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Fallout 1&2 kick ass. I don't even know how many times I've played through them. If some day I start playing PC games again, those are definitely on the list.

Tactics was playable, but it's not a RPG so it obviously doesn't have as much juice in it.

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, works just as well as bashing mods (like saying: the incest mod's premise sucks, it should be banned on moral grounds). :)

I gave him what he wanted and tried to use a bit of humor in doing so.

3. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I don't understand. What's morally objectionable about incest?

4. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    :lol: Perhaps we do need a thread on it after all.

5. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Sex in general is going to get somebodies panties in a twist whether morally, religiously, or just plain for the sake of taking what is seen as a semi-taboo subject and talking about it for as much and as long as possible. Find the right groups and it doesn't even matter what kind. Somebodies going to object to some particular coupling even if they don't care about others.

As for the main topic. I think i kind of demo-played fallout once a long time ago but I just never really got into it so I didn't pay attention to it. I've heard it said it's good. I've heard it said it's bad. I never really paid attention to why. Seemed to be lots of varied reasons.

6. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I thought Fallout 2 was pretty good. Haven`t played any of the other games in the series though.
    It had its flaws yes. But Fallout is actually one of the few roleplaying games that actually IS a roleplaying game. And that counts for alot in my book.

BUT Fallout isn`t better than Betrayal at Krondor .)

7. guguma Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hello and good days,

Now lets take a look at Bethesda accomplishments and judge them right.

They have released these popular games.

1. Elder Scrolls Arena
    2. Elder Scrolls Daggerfall
    3. Elder Scrolls Morrowind
    4. Elder Scrolls Oblivion

weird isn't it they are actually the same game with different graphics.

Bethesda claims that they make open ended, non-linear games, they may be trying to do that but let me explain some disturbing things.

They have in their games thousands of spells (actually there are about a 100 but with every power increase these 100 get different names)

They have very original guilds and factions with very original names like Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, Thieves Guild and they have fun storylike quests (fetch this, find this, kill this and what nothing happens)

And there is this weird thing the more powerful you get the more powerful everybody gets. Hmm this is very original indeed why bother with creating clever plots, events, creatures... lets fill everywhere with dungeons and creatures and let everybody fight.

You make a powerful spell which does not come with a level requirement but comes with increasing mana cost that you are never able to cast this spell

You find a powerful sword you get some levels up then you say to yourself "Now I will handle those bastards who humiliated me before" and what you see is they have also become more powerful.

And yes Bethesda developers now very well about story writing and dialogue writing. There is always this Uriel Septim who sets you free, you are always a prisoner.

About dialogues you talk like this "Uriel Septim?", "Money?", "Work?", "Mage Guild?", "Rothrak?" come on what is this.

And about bugs "Bethesda Rules :D "

Now let us compare with fallout;

In fallout 1&2 there is no limit to where you can travel, and there is nobody you are forbidden to kill "except the overseer in fallout 2", this is as open ended as elder scrolls right?

Fallout dialogues are massive

All fallout quests (where there are many ways to do and includes clever plots like conspiracies and so) cannot be discovered and done in a single play (at least I never could) and they are quite original.

Most importantly Fallouts are very old. They could not include thousands of quests and maps and everything, also if you are going to make something open-ended and so intermingled it takes much devotion because every action you take and every dialogue you go over changes things

Anyway I am writing in vain and I am not writing accurately but anyone who has played elder scolls and fallout both would understand what I mean.

Black Isle with Bioware is the best Game Development combination I have ever seen. Fallouts + BG's + IWD's they are not so open ended like elder scrolls but I prefer atmposphere + clever dialogues + fun gameplay to useless open endedness. And I do not think that Bethesda which has no experience on the afore mentioned qualities but has the best experience in the latter will ruin fallout.

I want Black Isle back so badly that I can beat every member up to join again.

8. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Yes, the possibility of Bethesda ruining this game is overwhelming, given their record.

9. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Level scaling only occured in Oblivion and the guy in charge of fallout 3 said he thought it was stupid.

So, it's a good thing that Fallout is open-ended, but it sucks that TES games are open-ended?

Speaking from the perspective of someone who's played (and enjoyed) both TES and Fallout, I can say that both series have the same ratio of original quests to banal fetch/killquests.

From where I'm standing, Guguma, it doesn't actually sound like you've really played any of the TES games, and you're just regurgitating what you've read on message boards (TES is buggier than Fallout? You're joking). Fallout suffers from all of the problems that most RPGs do storywise, and it's main saving grace was the amazing style it presented itself with. But under the 1950's kitsch and Mad Max parody you've got the contrived tale of the Lone Hero/Villain fighting against the Bad Guys. Even more in Fallout 2, which even had a "Chosen One" and an Evil Government Conspiracy.

All of that aside, I do actually like Fallout for it's strylistic innovations, and the OP was mostly a reaction against the people who attach their egos to a VIDEO GAME and take any criticism of that game as an affront to themselves. I'm just prepared to admit the flaws it suffers from, and I'm not going to condemn Bethesda for trying to breathe life into a dead franchise, since it isn't going to harm me personally if F3 isn't any good; I just won't buy it.

Oh, and Bioware had nothing to do with Fallout, you rube. You're thinking of Black Isle.

10. guguma Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hello and good days,

First of all thanks for the insult but I am not going to be called a rube(you have written me a great answer and then suddenly call me rube and ruin it all), I know bioware had nothing to do with fallout series,

Second of all I explained myself that I did not write what I wrote cleverly :) , I do not know about sorcerers' server time but it was very late when I wrote

So why am I so rudely attacking Bethesda then, I am doing it because I think Bethesda games are overrated (beyond reason).

About the bugs I still think Bethesda games are terribly buggy, I have never come upon to a bug in fallout which destroyed my joy, In morrowind I am attacked by invisible birds (it was not a spell), In oblivion I have played the fish hunting in the lake mini quest ten times because either they were dissapearing or get stuck in a rock.

It is good that you will not be personally harmed if F3 is not any good. No one will be harmed. The reaction is just like a reaction to the horrible sequel of a nice movie :) (though we do not know it is horrible or not)

By the way people do not attach their egos to VIDEO GAMES they play. (except a minor set of people who just play video games) But people may like their video games, they make you kill your time and sometimes give you a good laugh and sometimes satisfies your power hunger :D right?

Shortly speaking, fallout has potential for improvement and from what I have seen from Bethesda I do not think that they have the potential to accomplish this.

11. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

My "rube" comment wasn't really meant to be taken seriously, I was being flippant.

It's interesting, the reason I attacked Fallout in the first place was due to the same reason you attacked TES. I've heard people complain that they don't want "their" game franchise "raped" in these debates, and I just find the amount of nerdrage surrounding Fallout both bizarre and stupid.

And, believe me, people do attach their egos to videogames. it's why you get what are called "console wars".

My main problem is that so many people are stepping into the logical sandtrap of "Bethesda made TES therefore every game they make will be TES", because that's ridiculous. Bethesda also made Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of The Earth, which was completely different from anything resembling TES. they've also released a number of Terminator games, as well as sports games. Seriously, it's like saying that Capcom made Street Fighter, and therefore every game they make will be like Street Fighter.

12. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

No, it sucks that TES are empty and lifeless while Fallout is filled with well written dialogue, good humour and an excellent feeling all around. Both have a horrible main plot but the other qualities of Fallout more than replace it, the same can't be said about TES.

In the end it's all about what you value in your game. TES offers a massive amount of openness sure, but the dialogue is awful, the world is just bad. It's uninspiring, sterile and generic, Like a bad fan-made d&d world without the things that make d&d fun.

EDIT: As a sidenote I should point out that I did enjoy Morrowind for a while and wandering in the wilderness had its charm, but that charm did not last too long. Still it was worth the money I put to the purchase so it was not all bad, however my appreciation went gradually down the longer I played. With Fallout, Planescape Torment or Baldur's Gate the phenomenon has been the opposite.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.