1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout: PoS2 news

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by Aikanaro, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] There's what's basically a confirmation that F:pOS2 (or 'Fallout 3' if you want to believe that developers) will be released on the Xbox 360 in the form of an interview which Bethesda has granted to an Xbox 360 magazine: http://www.gamernews.org/2007/01/19/fallout-3-headed-to-xbox-360-not-unlikely-says-bethesda/

So, I hope that everyone is excited about seeing the wasteland with shiny shadow effects, hookers, lots of violence, and none of the stuff that made Fallout 1 and 2 brilliant.

[ January 22, 2007, 02:21: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Man, I want it on PC.

3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Fallout: PoS2? I take it you refer to BoS (Brotherhood of Steel), rather than PoS?

4. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

BoS is a title it doesn't derve, PoS(Piece of ****) is the title that most call it, because that is what it is, a piece of ****.

5. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Man, I want it on PC.

It's already confirmed for PC.

6. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @Register: Ah, I see now.

What I'm wondering about is how Bethesda will stop Fallout 3 from becoming a FPS (or 3rd PS), if they are using the same engine as Oblivion. Or if they will be able to insert that which made Fallout a lot of fun, but was thoroughly lacking in any TES title: humor.

Time will tell, I suppose.

7. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

Phew. From what I have seen from oblivion (which is not much but still some), I do not want F3 to end up like that. The third person isometric view is vital to me, along with a huge world to explore, and lots of fun dialogue.

8. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Sorry if I'm going against the grain or anything, but I actually think Bethesda might pull off a good Fallout sequel.

And I find it slightly humourous how bitter people are being about Brotherhood of Steel and F3. Yeah, BoS sucked, we get it. you don't need to go on "BoS mo' like PoS AMIRITE?!" until a new sequel comes out which will undoubtedly dissapoint you because what you really wanted, in your heart of hearts, was Fallout 2 all over again.

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

henki+Bahir:

It's basically expected that Bethesda are going to do a first person Oblivion-with-guns kind of game judging by what little they've said (with this announcement sounding like a confirmation. AFAIK it's not possible to do Fallout-like isometric view on a console).

http://www.nma-fallout.com/content.php?page=fo3-faq
    A summary of what we know - which while being basically nothing is certainly not promising in any way, shape or form.

Clixby:

I think Fallout fans have very good reason to be disappointed and bitter over the way that the Fallout license has been repeatedly raped.

As far as I can tell, most people are sick of it. They would rather the Fallout licence just die rather than having it thrust in their faces that the companies making the games just don't give a **** about the fans. It's just generally not enjoyable to see something you really enjoyed butt****ed over and over again in the name of making more money.

So why shouldn't we be expecting Fallout 2 (or Fallout) all over again when that's the game that they claim to be making?

And in case you didn't notice - there is a very clear parallel between Brotherhood of Steel and Fallout 3. They've set the stage for it being an action-RPG like their other games, developed for consoles (an audience for which 'dumbing down' games is common), and for it just generally not being a Fallout game.

If Bethesda disappoints, it's because they didn't make the game that the fans wanted, and they know damn well what the fans want.

10. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

It certainly is not good news because the same thing happened with oblivion. A port for consoles means that the PC version most definately will be dumbed down, which would hurt a fallout game to it's core.

Fallout is complicated and I will refrain from any judgement towards Bethesda, but they have purchased a licence with one of the most hostile and demanding fan bases ever.

11. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

Definetly a download first, buy if it's good kind of game then. Personally, I wouldn't mind the exact same graphics and stuff as F2, only with an expanded world (emagine what you could do with one or two DVD's...)

12. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31

Except such a game would never make money, and Oblivion made millions. Fallout is a good license but I don't see it making Bethesda change what made them famous and successful, at least not dramatically.

I don't really mind about the engine at all, so long as the writing is strong and Bethesda resist the temptation to make thousands of NPCs that all say nothing/the same thing...and they also won't be able to rely on lush forests and grass areas to make people go WOW so the art design has gotta be very good.

Unlike most people I'm optimistic that this can be a good game. But if you're expecting a remake of Fallout 2 you know you're going to be disappointed, so why bring it up over and over again?

13. Clixby Gems: 13/31

To be honest, you people would be disappointed either way. If they didn't deviate from the formula at all with 3, then you'd complain that they're not doing anything original and it's just the same old stuff. If they deviate from the standard Fallout formula by even an inch, you'd complain that it "doesn't feel like Fallout". Bethesda isn't making this game to appease the various bitter Fallout fanatics, they're creating a game that everyone can enjoy, regardless of their experience with the franchise. Get over it.

this thread needs to be renamed to "NERD RAAAGE!"

14. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

If you want to capture the classic Fallout feeling, you need it to resemble the original as much as possible. This they cannot do with the Oblivion engine. I suppose we will know soon, if the game will only be Fallout by its name. Personally, I have not liked a single Bethesda game so far and this one does not feel like an exception.

15. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

sshh clixby dont say that, just becuase its true and could be applied to any rpg since bg, since everything is ultimately held up against that and found to light :p

honestly if they manage to but some decent npc and story writting into the oblivion engine, i think they could make a solid game, if anything bethasdas games suffer from being to open in my experience, a little more plot and some decent written characters (dosn't have to join you in a party) and a bit more main story and i would be happy.

16. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I disagree that a Fallout 3 using low technology (even the same art) wouldn't make money. The why of it is quite simple - they wouldn't need to spend much to make it, and there would be a lot of people who would buy it. They'd be appealing to an underserved market with a legendary IP that plays the same as the originals, plus a big name that will make people take notice no matter what they put out.

Fallout (and other hardcore RPG) fans don't actually care if the graphics suck. They were fine 10 years ago and they're fine today. Appealing to the mainstream crowd will alienate Fallout fans while jacking up the amount of money they need to spend on making the game. They're probably going to end up making about the same amount of money given what they need to spend to make t3h leet partical 3ffectz!!!

I also don't imagine that many fans of the original would complain too much if they stuck faithfully to the rest of the series. Well - yes, they'd complain, because that's what Fallout fans do - but they would still support it. By making a console game for mainstream crowds in the vein of Oblivion they alienate Fallout fans to the extent that they're going to actively try and sabotage the game (ala Brotherhood of Steel).

No one would complain if they went off and made their own post apocalyptic game - there was no need to use the Fallout license. Using the Fallout license was a pretty dumb move really, seeing that the only Fallout game that their target audience is familiar with sucks (but sounds remarkably similar to what Bethesda is going to do...).

Bethesda is inviting 'nerd rage' when they abuse an already much abused series with a strong fan base. They're not setting out to make a game that 'everyone can enjoy' - they're setting out to cash in on a well know IP by pandering to console gamers and fans of action RPGs. Fans of hardcore RPGs (one of the most ignored groups of gamers right next to point and click adventure fans...) aren't going to enjoy it - and seeing that they're the ones that actually enjoyed Fallout in the first place why shouldn't Bethesda be trying to make Fallout 3 for them?

17. Clixby Gems: 13/31

I think it really comes down to a matter of faith in the end.
    Regardless of whether you'd buy a game with decade-old graphics, the truth is most people wouldn't. It would be a lack in innovation on the part of Bethesda and it would carry over the problems the original Fallout series had. Everyone seems to forget how buggy those games were, and how easily exploitable the system was.

This whole thing seems to be down to a couple of vague announcements and a bunch of geeks having a shouting match with one side going "it's going to suck!" with the other side shouting back "no, it won't!" and neither side actually has any evidence to back up their claims and they go around in circles forever and ever until they die and nothing is fun anymore. So, maybe we should leave the arguments until we get a bit more information which indicates anything about the actual game, eh? ;)

18. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

lol - the thing is that I think we already have all the information we need about how good this game is going to be from the original post :p

(And I'm not saying that most people would buy a game with decade old graphics - I'm saying that enough people would that the game would be profitable (keeping in mind that it would take a lot less money to develop))

Plus faith in Bethesda is just one of those things that I do not have :p

But anyway - when they're finally forced to release information there should be an interesting ****storm at least. Heh - and when they open a *forum* :D

See you then :)

19. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I wonder how on earth they're going to impliment guns into an RPG from a first person perspective. Incresing your 'skill' (if they are going to use the SPECIAL system) does what? Reduces recoil? Increases targetting time? Increases damage? Allows for 'run and gun' manovers? Allows you to use more sophisticated equipment (I hope not, I HATE gear restrictions in non-MMO RPGs)? Higher chance of critial hits? Who knows.

They claim that they're going to stay true to the roots of the Fallout franchise, the problem is that anyone can see they're doing nothing but that. Sure, they'll stay true to the Fallout STORY (probably) but definately not the GAME.

20. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

It could be similar to the way Deus Ex combines FP, skills and guns; damage, accuracy within its spread, speed at which the targetting crosshair shrinks, less waving of the scope etc.

TBH, I'm glad it's going to be FP. The system for the old games was good, but I'd prefer something similar to Oblivion's, but with Fallout's perks and traits. The story and setting for the Fallout games were what made me play them, rather than the system it used,and if Bethesda can create a believable Fallout world (Oblivion's living world combined with Morrowind's great unique dungeons) and a great Fallout story with Fallout humour (they may need to work on this), then I'll definitely buy it. The isometric view doesn't do much for me anymore.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.