1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout mods? (Or rather olimikrig's fallout 1 & 2 runthrough :p) *SPOILERS Inside!*

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by olimikrig, Oct 4, 2008.

1. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well been playing the game tap version for a couple of days when it went and bugged out on me :mad:! Had a bug where my two NPC companions began spawning all over the map, and apparently ALL my save games were corrupted, sigh. Some researching revealed that it's because the game isn't patched :rolleyes: (and you don't get it down on your comp so you can patch/mod it but have to play it through the game tap interface). So I went out and bought bought both of the fallout games instead :p.
    So, are there any mods that I should consider getting?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    That's the way to go! For a first run I'd only pick the children mod (putting back children in European versions) and the resolution mod for better game display on larger screens.

Check this link: http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php

Loreseeker likes this.
  3. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Higher resolution mod rawks! Really makes it easier to stand the ancient graphics :p.

Tagged gambling this time to try it out, infinite caps ftw :grin:.

Thanks for the link mate!

4. Caradhras

Media:
    You're welcome, just stay away from the other mods until you've completed the game once. The resolution mods really make a difference with in game graphics.

The children mods are different since they put back elements that should have been in the game and were taken from the European version (I can think of a quest in Falllout2 that can't be completed because of that).

Tagging Gambling? Why not, somebody obviously wants to be a millionnaire.;)

5. olimikrig

Media:
    Hehe yep :grin:. Went straight to the hub after visiting Vault 15 and bought skill books in the library to get outdoorsman, first aid, repair and science straight to 91% :p. Not to mention getting the combat armour, sniper riffle and more .223 ammo than I can ever use!

But jeebus, just found this alien blaster thing at some Flying Sourcer crash-site (along with a picture of Elvis, heh)! I'm like one-shooting everything with that mofo!

6. Caradhras

Media:
    Good times. Say olimikrig, are you playing a good guy or a bad guy?

There are so many things you can do in that game. Try not to limit yourself and you will find out many different ways to enjoy the game.

I like the fact that some of the longer dialogue options don't necessarily yield better choices.

By the way how does the game look on your computer with the resolution mod? I can play without it because when it comes to Fallout, outdated graphics don't bother me that much but I guess it sure helps getting started. There are a few glitches (black screen) but you can solve this by pressing the "home" button.

Keep posting about your progress in game, it's always nice to read about the impressions and the discoveries of new Fallout players!

7. olimikrig

Media:
    I'm playing a goodie-to-shoes. I always do that on my first runthrough in these games since it's usually 'easiest' and yields the most rewards.

Yeah I wanna see it all, heh. Well gues that would actually be impossible since quite a few of the side-quest seems to be based on either having the required skill(s) (and skill level) or simply just a die-roll.

Yeah the dialogue. What can I say? It's very complex. Never seen anything like this. Everything seems to have multiple outcomes so that no two games are quite alike. At least for me it was like a completely different experience just having to go through finding that water chip again.

It looks decent. The edges become a lot sharper.

Regarding progress I'm smashing some regulator skulls in Adytum at the moment. Going to try and get some levels under my belt before tackeling the mutans, because I still remember having to do necropolis all over after getting myself captured the first time :p.

8. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Hey, any advice on more 'interesting' mods? I've been playing this game since... well, I don't even know how long I've been playing this game. I think I've just about uncovered everything at this point: alien blaster (fun, but wait), solar scorcer, red rider BB gun, Cafe of Broken Dreams, quad-made man challenge.

I'm looking for some major changes, now, like full conversions, new NPCs, maybe making NPCs controllable (don't know if that's even feasable), large sections of new quests. I remember looking around a little while ago and not seeing much of anything (which is surprising because, personally, I think this game rivals BG2). Is there much out there now?

9. Caradhras

Media:
    Not a die roll really but there are many factors that are taken into account: INT, sometimes CHA, skills, level, difficulty setting, gender and more importantly your previous actions (that last point makes Fallout really great).

Tackling the mutants depend a lot on your gear and skills. Bear in mind that in Fallout your character can do many things but will only excel in a few areas. If you've read the manual carefully you will have noticed that most perks have prerequisites (although you can finish the game with whatever build you use).

10. olimikrig

Media:
    Cool. That's even better than just a random roll :).

I kinda don't hope there's any better gear than what I'm using at the moment, 'cus this is just nutts! Got the power armor upgraded and along with the alien blaster I'm near untouchable :p.

Regarding the skills, etc. I realise that. I did a lot of reading up regarding character creation before I even started. I just hate it in "new" RPGs when I have to adjust to a completely different rule set, etc.; standing there completely clueless in the beginning and realising too late that I've wasted a lot of skill points and the likes on useless stuff :p.
    I'm level 12 as I write this and have chosen: 2xtoughness, bonus rate of fire and action boy for perks. Sniper looks sweet but I'm not sure I'm going to hit 18 before I'm through with this. Clearing the military base right now :).

@NOG: I don't think there is any more than what's on that list which carad linked. There's a total conversion in the Making called "Mutants Rising". You can down load a demo here.

11. Caradhras

Media:
    Your gear is really good (that counts a lot) and you picked some very good perks. Still your character is only level 12 and you're clearing the military base?! You must have rushed through the water chip quest. There are many things to do to. Once the clock is no longer ticking you can take your time and explore.

I played the entire game yesterday in roughly 3 hours with a non violent character (no weapon and no creature killed) and that guy was level 8 at the end of the game (when I tried this in Fallout 2 I reached level 19 but you get more XP in the sequel).

12. olimikrig

Media:
    Halfway through level 17 at the moment. I tend to focus too much on the plot so there were a ton of side quests, primarily in the hub, which I had completely overlooked :p. Also did some of the caravan 'quests'. Just finished exploring all of the glow as well. Good stuff there, adds so much more depth :thumb:.

Think I'm gonna go do a few caravans more to get the last few thousands of exp points for sniper perk and then go see what all the fuss with this master is. And of course then there's fallout 2 afterwards ;)!

13. Caradhras

Media:
    That's the spirit mate!

See if you know who I'm referring to. ;)

14. olimikrig

Media:
    Sorry you're referring to where?

Well that's it. The Master is no more! Found a little satisfaction in revealing the fact that the mutants are sterile and his entire project doomed form the beginning. Had to go back a save and try and fight him, just to try it, though. A little disappointing to be honest, all those 130ish stimpacks saved for nothing :p.

Talk about surprising ending though! Didn't see that coming at all. I mean I had figured the regular vault life might have been too dull for someone like the protagonist after having been through all that, but still! Bastard overseer got what he had coming though.

On to Fallout2!

Picked up the Childrens patch again, as well as the resolution patch. Grabbing restoration and the unoffical 2.0 patch too.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  15. Caradhras

Media:
    You didn't meet Loxley then?

Hey you finished the "smart" way by talking him into killing himself, that's certainly the most gratifying way to deal with The Master.

With your gear it wasn't that hard to defeat him but if you set the difficulty at rough combat and difficult you'll notice a big difference. Rough is rough, if you get crippled in the middle of a fight you won't be able to fight properly: I had a crippled arm once... Really bad. In another game my PE dropped dramatically after being shot in the eyes... talk about difficult. Not to mention the few times I got a foe at short range with a minigun or some other fancy weapon scoring a critical for hundreds of HP...:)

Regarding the ending, the Overseer is clearly a bastard. There is a dialogue option in the Vault in which he tells the Vault Dweller that his skills would be useless in the outside world... (forgot the exact line but it's priceless).

Still, it seems you killed him (bad karma then?)

Fallout 2 starts differently but you'll enjoy the continuity between the two games.

16. olimikrig

Media:
    Actually I was goodie-two-shoes... Might be that after I was running out of the cathedral vault a mutant attacked me upstairs resulting in everyone the the interior cathedral going hostile on me and I had to butcher them. Or maybe because I had the bloody Mess trait?

A Question though, are you able to buy those skill books like you could in the library in fallout 1? because then I jsut might consider going with practically the same build and gamble my way to a small fortune so I can increase Science, repair, etc. to 91% painlessly :p.

Oh and no, I don't recall seeing a loxley.

17. Caradhras

Media:
    Books are somewhat harder to come by (a little harder which IMO is a good thing) I wouldn't tag Gambling just for easy cash (but I know where to get all the good stuff). I guess it makes the game easier when you don't have to worry about your spending but still there are more useful skills.

What other skills do you have in mind? It's a good idea not to take the ones that can be raised with books but you figured that already.

Minor spoiler: expect more upgrades for your weapons, better hand to hand combat and a higher difficulty (especially at the start). Skill limit is raised to 300% (and the cost depends on your actual skill level).

It's been 80 years since the Vault Dweller was kicked out so expect many changes.

Then I guess you'll have to play Fallout 1 again. Loxley is certainly my favourite NPC but he is hard to find if you don't look carefully.

One last tip, there is no such thing as a stray bullet in Fallout.

I almost forgot: hold down Shift and press the credits button, you'll enjoy this.;)

EDIT: I want to play Fallout 2 now! I'm thinking of playing a character based on the Fists of the North Star (Hokuto no Ken) series: no weapons only unarmed and no armour but the leather jacket. I'll take Unarmed, Stealth and Doctor (I want a decent score in both of these skills and I want to be able to put as many points as possible in the Unarmed skill). Bloody Mess to portray the violence of the series. Last time I tried in a no reload game on rough and difficult settings I got pretty far before being critically hit for more than 400 hit points. I'm curious how far I can take this character in a no reload game.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  18. olimikrig

Media:
    This is the character setup I went with:

Str: 5
    Per: 7
    End: 4
    Chr: 1 (yeah I know, sue me :p)
    Int: 7
    Agi: 8
    Lck: 8

Traits: Gifted, Finesse.

Tag: Small guns, Lockpick (was so tired of my crappy lockpick in fallout!) and speech.
    I plan on getting these to 100% or so quickly and then begin working a little on Energy Weapons, Doctor and Science.

As for perks, my main perks of focus are probably Bonus rate of Fire and Sniper. for the rest I'm not entirely decided yet, but the candidates are: Awareness (almost a definately on this one), Action Boy, Better Crits, Living Anatomy, Bonus move, Gain Agility and Quick Pockets.

I went with this because I wanted to have a character who could stand on his own and maybe just tag a single NPC along in the beginning. I'm gonna play Evil this runthrough as well, so I figured a low Chr, lonewolf, sniper sorta build fitted pretty good :).

I had Dogmeat, ian and Tycho. Ended up getting dogmeat killed because I was just tired of waiting forever for him to actually get into combat only to do pathetic damage :p. Both Ian and Tycho pretty quickly got annihalated when I entered the millitary base.

Haha, good fun that!

Sounds fun! :D

19. Caradhras

Media:
    That's a solid build (I wouldn't take Bonus move before all the other perks though). The Finesse trait is good but it will become useless when you'll get the Sniper perk (you can always use the Mutate! perk but it seems like a waste of a perk). That being said taking it won't harm your character because it will take some time to reach level 24 anyway.

CH was almost useless in Fallout 1, it's better in Fallout 2 (especially if you want a large party -which is not the case here- party members do level up and you get more options when dealing with them).

Anyway, with the proper weapons snipers rule (just be careful with your sidekick).

I'm sorry I wasn't quite clear about Loxley, he is not a joinable NPC. You can't find everything in the first run. I bought Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 when they were first released and after playing Fallout 2 for three years I was still finding out things I didn't know about the game, no other CRPG can compare, that's how rich this game is.

Btw my "Fists of the North Star" character got killed shamefully not long after starting the game... I'll have to restart since I wanted a no reload challenge (it's been so long since I played that game I forgot how difficult Rough can be at lower levels). ;)

20. olimikrig

Media:
    Yeah it was either Finesse or Small Fame, but I figured I'd rather go with that extra crit untill I get Sniper and use the Gain Agility perk to get 10 Agi.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.