1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help a BoM Member in Need

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, May 26, 2015.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Ladies and Gentlemen of the Boards o' Magick community:

I've recently come across Old One's blog entry where he has candidly described how hard the last few months have been on him and the realistic threat that he might not be able to afford Internet access in the future.

Internet access is something that many of us take for granted and it is indeed a service that many of us simply could not function without any more, so the thought of not being able to afford to pay for it any more is quite chilling and something that I hope we can prevent at least for the time being.

When we have a member in need, we like to do what we can to help. That is why we are asking for people to donate what they can to help keep Old One online for at least another year. We're not telling anyone that they need to do this, and no one will think badly of anyone who doesn't participate for any reason whatsoever. That being said, if you do participate, please understand that you will have Old One's heartfelt thanks and the good feeling of helping someone else.

To make things easier for Old One (setting up PayPal's donation buttons is somewhat complicated), we'll be accepting donations to the SP account and forwarding him the money.

The only kind of Internet connection available to Old One is via satellite, which unfortunately is quite expensive -- $50 per month. We're aiming at collecting at least $600 to keep Old One connected for another year.

For my part, I'll start it off by donating $50. I'd have set up Old One with lifetime SPS access as well, but due to the many donations that he's made to the site in the past, he's practically got it already.

All the BoM members who donate and don't have a custom avatar/portrait + title yet (or want to change) will be able to select them as a small thank-you from the SP team.

* * *​

Now, the tl;dr version:

1. We are collecting donations to pay for a year of Internet Service for one of our long-time supporting members, Old One, who will likely not be able to afford it on his own (more info).

2. Donations collected to the SP PayPal account will be forwarded to Old One.

3. Please list your BoM user name in the donation notes so that we know who to thank! If you wish to remain anonymous, please leave a note to that effect.

4. Donate via PayPal here. Having a PayPal account is NOT required to donate.

If you would like to send money to Old One some other way, please contact him via a private message.

If anyone has any questions, please post them in this thread.

Thank you!

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  2. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

I don't know what to say so just thanks Tal and everyone here for everything through the years and for putting up with this old man.

Taluntain likes this.
  3. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    In the Netherlands(Holland) people are trying to get internet access as a human right. In a way it is.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Thanks to xosmi ($2.50) and Merlanni ($15) we're now at $67.50 out of $600 needed. Thanks, guys! :thumb:

5. Taluntain

Media:
    Thanks to a generous anonymous donor ($50 donation) we're now at $117.50 out of $600 needed. Thank you, anonymous! :thumb:

6. Taluntain

Media:
    Thanks to Atmer's $50 donation and $15 from Nakia we're now at $182.50 out of $600 needed. Thank you! :thumb:

7. Taluntain

Media:
    Thanks to a generous donation from Death Rabbit ($50) we're now at $232.50 out of $600 needed. Thank you, DR! :thumb:

8. Taluntain

Media:
    Thanks to another generous anonymous donor ($50 donation) we're now at $282.50 out of $600 needed. Thank you, anonymous! :thumb:

9. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    The BoM never ceases to impress me with its basic decency. Well done on building a wonderful community, Tal.

Taluntain likes this.
  10. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    We're family, Deathmage. :)

11. Taluntain

Media:
    And thanks to a mysterious benefactor who's sent in the entire reminder of what we wanted to raise ($318!) we're now at $600.50 out of $600 needed, excluding PayPal's fees. Thank you, anonymous! :thumb:

Edit: as I was writing this, a donation from Deathmage ($20) has come in as well! So we're officially at $620.50! Thanks, Deathmage!

PayPal's fees for accepting the money on our end and forwarding the entire $600 to Old One will amount to around $40-50 (I'm waiting for Old One to let me know what his PayPal address is so I can check), but if no more donations come in to cover the remaining $20-30, I'll cover that myself as well. :)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    Nakia likes this.
  12. Taluntain

Media:
    Old One hasn't been online in the last 5 days, so I'm still waiting to hear back from him regarding the PayPal details -- hopefully, he's okay.

13. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

I'm sorry all. Bad heart acting up and lots of bed time. I'm on the old machine in the bedroom and feeling a lot better. I'm ok and getting used to this. That's one of the reasons I was checking into health care.

I don't know how to thank you all, the internet and some tv is mostly what I'm able to do now. I pray everyone has their kindness returned over and over again. It's funny that family has "gone with the wind" when they can no longer come to me for help but the people here come running! I knew years ago the best people were here and it has been proven again. Thank you!!!

14. Taluntain

Media:
    I'm happy to report that I've just sent the full amount of $600 to Old One. PayPal's fees for receiving and sending the money amounted to around $40, so I added another $20 myself to cover the difference in fees and to make sure that Old One received the full amount of $600 on his end. Hopefully, this will ensure that he can remain online for at least another year. :)

I'd like to thank all of you who participated in this donation drive again -- I know that having two simultaneous donation drives meant that some of you who still wanted to donate couldn't do it for both the site and Old One, so I'm very happy that we've still managed to reach our goal. :thumb:

15. Old One

I am overwhelmed by you guys. I am setting up a savings with your donations to be used only for internet. Every time I sign in or use internet I will remember who made it possible. This would have been my last month getting on line and I will not forget what you here have done.

Nakia and Taluntain like this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.