1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New 3.5e Custom Campaign, IRC

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Urithrand, May 19, 2010.

1. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    CJ has cajoled me into action once again to work out a new PnP campaign to run in IRC, which I will be running on Wednesday nights. The running time will be 8pm (gmt) up until around midnight (gmt) each wednesday night. (3pm - 7pm EST respectively)

The campaign will be in a custom setting which I will design once we have a gaming group laid out. We already have one complete newbie to D&D whom we will be coaching, so feel free to join whether you have experience or not.

Ideally we need about 2 or 3 more players. Just post or PM me if you're interested!

2. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

If you could move it to Tues/Thurs then I'd potentially be interested - as it is you've chosen one of the two days in the week I'm always busy.

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] When is it starting? I won't have internet for another week and a bit, will there be prior information available on the setting?

4. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I'm in, obviously.

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I envy all of you who get to participate. Only If I had the time....

6. Urithrand

Media:
    Occy, it won't be starting for at least a week yet, I don't have the time I used to have to whip up an entire campaign overnight like I used to, haha.

Tarrasque, those two days are more difficult for me because I tend to work late shifts on those two days. While this doesn't make them *amazingly* late (I'd get home around 8.30) my gaming sessions have a tendency to go on for a number of hours as long as all the players can keep going. Going to bed at 2am on a work night takes its toll, but if everyone can agree on a day, then I'd be willing to adapt.

Perhaps Tuesday would work...

And yes, all the information you'd need to play would be freely available. I'd likely make something in pdf format for everyone to look through, otherwise it would be impossible to decide on things like cleric domains and the like. Also we'd have to account for anyone who has high Knowledge: Local.

7. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Sod it! You only live once! If it can be done on a Tuesday without mucking up everyone else then sign me up!

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  8. SilencedFaith Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Media:
    Somebody still plays 3.5e? *weeps in tears with joy*

After seeing the topic, this old submarine had decided to emerge and (finally register) to join in the fun.

I am very interested in this and I would like to join, if possible. Don't worry about time management for me as I follow WST(+8) instead of EST(+10).

Anyway, I DO need someone to explain to me how IRC works, as I had only played in PbPs before.

9. Urithrand

Media:
    Download an IRC client like mIRC to make things easier long term (like using a constant nickname and registering with Mystra, the channel, bot). Otherwise, you can still connect to the irc channels through the forums here with a java app.

10. SilencedFaith Gems: 4/31

Media:
    After playing around with the controls and such, and let's just say I am no where near the proficiency I hope I could get with Opera. I wished I could get mirc, but it has a 30 days trial period, which is generally bad for my health. Anyway, that means I might end up using the MM irc channel until I am more familiar with all this IRC business.

Edit: Nevermind. Got it working in Opera. Any controls that I should know about before starting the game? *is anxious*

11. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I've been using my mIRC for nearly 2 years and it still lets me in - Don't worry about the trial thing.

12. SilencedFaith Gems: 4/31

Media:
    I see. So it doesn't matter whether it's on trial or not... Nice. :)

Anyway, when are we starting this?

13. Urithrand

Media:
    OK, well it seems like there's going to be enough players to spend the time, what say we all meet up for a meet 'n' greet 'n' roll up characters this week?

Tuesday evening in Minstrel's Medallion, 9:00pm GMT. If anyone's planning on rolling a cleric, they might need some information beforehand regarding deities and domains etc. etc. but we can work all that into this initial session.

So to recap, anyone who's intending to play, MM this Tuesday 8th June at 9:00pm GMT. That's 4:00pm EST for those who can't add up :p

Edit: Also, apologies for the late reply, I almost forgot I'd started this :D

Edit edit: Everyone intending to join in should subscribe to this thread. Rather than start another thread we'll keep it simple and use this one to arrange anything that goes on, so subscribing will ensure you find out if there's any news via email if you have email notifications enabled and sorcerers.net added to your safe sender's domain list in your email client.

As always, PM me if you have any questions and / or suggestions.

14. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Just as I've got permenent internet back as well :)

15. Urithrand

Media:
    I'll PM everyone who's shown interest to make sure they've read this.

16. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Don't PM me, I read it.

17. Urithrand

Media:
  18. Urithrand

Media:
    Deities and their Portfolios and Domains

Earth: Elemos

Alignment: Neutral

Portfolios: Protection, Provision, Harvest time, Deliverance.

Synopsis: Despite the fact that Lucida is the patron Goddess of healing, Elemos tends to be the deity of the widest base of the clergy found within the land. Due to his deep undertones of hard work and protection, he has a huge base of clerical followers, and his temples are often found most commonly in large cities and settlements. Despite this, Elemos is also the patron God of almost all druids, though exceptions exist. Rangers must worship Elemos, or they will not gain any of their divine powers, though their alignment may be any allowed by that class.
    Domains: Animal, Community, Darkness, Earth, Law, Plant, Protection

Dislikes:

Fire: Garudisa

Alignment: Lawful Good

Portfolios: Judgement, Paladins, Birth/Rebirth, Passion, Purity

Synopsis: The Chaste Lady, or the Lady of the Flaming Blade, Garudisa stands for all that is right and good. She is the epitome of chastity, love and purity, and is the patron Goddess of paladins. She wields a greatsword which flames from pommel to tip, and is always depicted in full plate. She is the lady of justice and vengeance both, tempered with her portfolio of honour. Followers of Garudisa are largely passionate warriors, or mages who believe that the world needs a powerful hand to mould it. Some of her followers are misguided, like the cult of the flame, who believe that her teachings are ambiguous, and teach us to destroy intelligent life and thus save society from itself.

Domains: Creation, Destruction, Fire, Liberation, Luck, Sun, War

Dislikes:

Air: Lucida

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Portfolios: Knowledge, Wisdom, Patience.

Synopsis: A deity exclusively concerned with the mind and the powers of intellect and wisdom, Lucida is often mistaken for being cold and passionless, which to some extent may be true, but this Goddess is the patrom of temperament, and the ability to suppress the emotions which affect judgement for the worse. She teaches that life, death, society, laws, rules, none are important in the face of the accumulation of knowledge. Though the undead are Fluichos' domain, Lucida is the patron of lichs, despite their inherent evil nature. The followers of Lucida are taught and expected to control and suppress all forms of emotion, believing there to be no "positive" or "negative" emotions, merely distractions from the work of life, to accumulate knowledge.

Domains: Air, Artiface, Good, Healing, Knowledge, Mind, Rune

Dislikes:

Water: Fluichos

Alignment: Neutral evil

Portfolios: Death, Punishment, Persistence, Travel, Assassins, Undeath

Synopsis: At first glance at his domains and portfolios, it is clear exactly where in the alignmental scale Fluichos sits. His areas range widely from travel and weather, to undeath and evil. By far the most fickle of the Gods, this deity matches his domain; the sea, one minute showering his follower with peace and calm, then moments later throwing a tantrum as destructive and powerful as the greatest of sea storms. Of all of the deities, fluichos is the only deity who requires sacrifice to appease him, and as such, his clergy is the source of terror amongst the populace. Every day at high noon, the clergy will descend upon the streets to find a suitable sacrifice of blood for his altar to appease the God of weather, and avoid the terrible death that will rain down upon them should his needs not be met. As a result of this, Fluichos is shunned by his fellow deities, and sits alone in the world of the dead, deep within the earth. Fluichos is, however, by a wide margin the most powerful of the deities.

Domains: Evil, Madness, Scalykind, Travel, Trickery, Water, Weather

Dislikes:

Magic: Kestra

Alignment: Neutral

Portfolios: Beauty, Magic, Sorcery

Synopsis: Kestra is somewhat seperate from the other deities, in that she rarely takes on a clergy so to speak. While many priests worship Kestra, it is usually to supplement arcane forms of magic which are almost always their primary source of power. Kestra's teachings relate exclusively to magic, and she is disinterested in those who do not follow the arcane path. As a result, divine casters will not receive powers from Kestra unless they also have at least one level of an arcane persuasion. Kestra and her followers have a tendency to be arrogant and superior to their counterparts, and she is also the patron of nobility and the fineries of the royals. When a monarch dies with nobody to replace them on the throne, it is Kestra's clergy who are tasked with choosing the successor, and on occasion, she has been seen to step in and make her preference known directly.

Domains: Chaos, Charm, Death, Glory, Magic, Nobility, Repose, Strength

Dislikes:

19. Urithrand

Media:
    Arcane Magic

Arcane magic has been redesigned for the purpose of this campaign. All spell effects, saves, damage and so on remain unchanged from the original selection in the PHB, but the sorcerer class has been removed entirely.

Arcane magic feeds directly from the life force of the user in much the same way that divine magic is channeled directly from the life force of their deity. When a wizard casts a spell, he is shaping a part of his own soul into an external force which can be used to shape the world around him. As such, wizards no longer prepare spells in advance, rather use a "point buy" system trading max. HP for magic. Every time the mage casts a spell, they lose a number of their MAX HP EQUAL TO THE LEVEL OF THE SPELL. This also means that the wizard can use cantrips a limitless number of times. This loss remains for 1 hour per point, though the entire maximum HP is restored in the event of a full day's rest. If the user's HP falls to 0, they fall unconscious for 10 minutes, but the FINAL spell they use will do double damage in their desperate throes of battle. Mages unconscious for the end of battle however will receive no exp, so this is a desperate move indeed. Using metamagic affects spell level in the same way. To balance this out, the wizard class has been made a little more powerful to compensate for what could prove extremely challenging with either low constitution or unlucky rolls.

All arcanists must choose an elemental discipline (as per their deities). Spells cast which would already inflict damage of this same type will have a 10% bonus to all rolls, rounded up to the nearest point including hit rolls. Spells which inflict elemental damage of another type can be manipulated sufficiently to change the elemental type to their own, losing 10% of their total damage, rounded down to the nearest point. In this way, a fireball could be transformed into an iceball or an exploding earthball etc. etc. For those who choose Kemistra, they are extremely lucky, because their bonus applies to ALL NON-ELEMENTAL damage spells, and they can turn powerful elemental spells into non-elemental spells, negating a large amount of resistance. Also, mages receive benefits depending on their discipline/deity.

Elemos: +2 CON, +1 fort save
    Garudisa: +2 STR, +10% carrying capacity
    Lucida: +2 WIS, +1 to all class skills
    Fluichos: +2 DEX, +1 reflex save
    Kemistra: +2 CHA, +1 HP per level

There will of course be opportunities to increase bonuses and soften penalties at later levels, but this is a basic guideline.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  20. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] Have you seen the alternative mana rules? I can dig up the rules if you want for that, that way can have a low magic setting using soul energy without taking physical damage.

Also there are a couple of feats for coverting magical energy - perhaps mages only get the bonus if they take the meta-magic feat that converts the damage to elemental?

I was reading up on Elemental magics the other day :)

Any race restrictions or society expectations from certain races/classes?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.