1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dragon Age Forum News (Sep. 24, 05)

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Eldular, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Here are today's Dragon Age forum highlights, taken from the Dragon Age Official Forum. Please take into account that these are only single parts of various threads and should not be taken out of context. Bear in mind also that the posts presented here are copied as-is, and that any bad spelling and grammar does not get corrected on our end.

Stanley Woo, QA Ninja

Is there Adult Content in DA?
    When Im thinking about adult content in fantasy (based on medieval times) I imagine prostitutes in suspicious part of town. Some almost nude, some not. Girls are calling You to come and have fun. maybe I will go, maybe not - its my choice.
    On the other hand, prostitues are also redundant. It can be assumed that they are "pimped out" by a shady individual to interested clients, and the ladies themselves are never seen at all. A suspicious part of town can be nothing more than a dimly lit alley with dark characters skulking about, not making eye contact.

Voilence in medieval was on every days menu.
    That may be true, but there's no reason it should necessarily be shown. And as I've said before, "realism" and "fun" can be mutually exclusive concepts.

I think rape can be as an element of story told by some women, or some womens husband/boyfriend/lover, but scene of it would add nothing to story IMHO.
    Agreed. This is one subject which is so emotionally charged and causes such extreme impact that it should never be used lightly. Again, this is one area where the more "real" it is, the less "fun" it is.

David Gaider, Lead Writer

Religion of TheDAS
    So, will priests in DA be like monks who lock themselves in cloisters and write books? Or will they travel around and spread knowledge and wisdom? Or will they try to find a perfect spiritual life? Or will, they not do any of this?
    Priests will be like priests, and do priestly stuff. Which is to say that they preach and proselytize. Monks, meanwhile, will be like monks and do monkly stuff. Which is to say that they will hide out in monasteries and be all educated and scribely and stuff.

Neither will resemble their D&D namesake, which oddly enough resembled nothing of which either of those professions did in history. Which is fine, I guess, if oddly misleading (like confusing a whole generation of players as to the true nature of the morningstar and the medusa/gorgon).

Oh, and they'll mostly be women. But that's this whole other thing.

Brenon Holmes, Programmer

Update Info
    One thing I'll mention, negotiating a publishing deal doesn't happen overnight. It can take a very long time.

There have been numerous discussions with a *lot* of different companies, and in the end - you won't hear anything about the publisher until the ink on the contract is dry...

Also, as we mentioned before - DA was announced very early in development... so be patient. That's really all I can suggest.

If the "wait is killing you", take a break - come back later. We'll be here when you get back. :)

More:
    Huh, really? Can't you just send them an email that says "EVERY SINGLE GAME WE HAVE EVER MADE WON MULTIPLE GAME OF THE YEAR AWARDS"? ;)
    That's probably an attraction from a publisher's point of view. However, they're still going to want to know a lot about the project before they get involved, I would imagine.

When money is involved people are usually going to want to be sure that it's going to be used properly, which is fair. :)

EDIT: Oh, and I had a question, actually. How are you guys financing development without a publisher? Do you have VC guys, or just a big chest full of doubloons left over from NWN/KotOR/JE, or what?
    We actually run donation drives here in Edmonton, recently we went and did a bottle collection from folks in the neighborhood... I think I might have raised 4 dollars!

I would assume from past projects, royalties... etc. But that would just be a guess.

James Henley, Designer

Update Info
    B.t.w. The very least Bioware can do is release Jade for PC.
    There are no plans to bring Jade Empire to the PC at this time.

I really need a macro key for that one. I have to say it far too often.

More:
    Hey James Henley, I just noticed your signature states you are working on a "Secret project". Does that mean you aren't actually involved with DA?
    I was on Dragon Age for a while, but I'm not on the project at this time.

Also are you working on the "Star Citadel" project or is it another secret project? ;)
    Well, right now I'm doing censored on censored.

What, were you actually expecting an answer? :rolleyes:

Scott Meadows, Programmer

So when are we gonna see something?
    I think there might be a publisher signed early next year before E3.
    And what do we base this rumor on?

Georg Zoeller, Designer

Copy protection / validation via internet
    A discussion over copy protection measures is pointless at this time as this falls traditionally under the responsibility of the publisher. Since we have not announced any publisher for DA, there is nothing to talk about.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.