1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The big 'did you know' thread!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Apeman, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

[​IMG] Everyone has some moments in their week when they find something and think: wow I didn't know that.

I just had one yesterday and I thought why not share it with the rest. This is the 'did you know' thread and it must always start with that phrase. Anything goes as long as it's original and it's not about yourself (No stuff about did you know that I passed collage today)

I'll go first, this happened to me yesterday when I was bringing back memories by playing on my old super nintendo.

Did you know that Jeremy Soule, the music composer for Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights also did the music for a super nintendo game called "Secret of Evermore"

2. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Ahh, but did you know he is also behind the musical score in Morrowind, and has performed in concerts based upon that work.

3. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

[​IMG] Did you know that Orson Scott Card, writer of 'Ender's Game' and other like classics, wrote most of the swordfighting insults in the original Secret of Monkey Island game?

4. Baldrak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Did you know that...
    A cat has 40 million hairs? (at least 20 million of those are on the couch ;) )

5. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Did you know that Windows XP have a file in C:bad:windows called prefetch and if you empty this file every month your pc will work a little faster? ;)

6. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Did you know that apig's orgasm can last for 30 minutes? Or that a chimp has larger testicles than a gorilla?

I learned those facts a long time ago, here at SP: Ah the wonders of the 'net...

7. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Did you know that Thomas Jefferson introduced the eggplant (aubergine) to America?

8. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

It was him!? BASTARD! That music is SO ANNOYING!

Did you know that the majority of human impregnations occur as a result of sexual intercourse?

9. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Did you know that a giant squid has a penis that weight 30kg? freaky...

10. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Did you know my real name is "giant squid?" :cool:

11. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Did you know there are pink dolphins?

and that sharks are the only animal not to get cancer.

and that it is possible to hypnotise frogs :grin:

12. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Did you know that there was a british SS unit called "Britisches Freikorps"?

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    *taps DR aka GS on shoulder*
    *ahem*
    :nono: :p

Did you know that, for maximum car fuel economy, the optimum speed is betwwen 40-60 MPH (depending on the car)?

14. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Did you know that daulphing are the only animal (Beside Human) that do sex for the fun of it?

Did you know that a croach can live 30 day without his head?

Did you know that if you win a prize of 1$ that double it's value each year in 20 years you would have:
    1048576$ ?

Did you know that an ants can lift 50 times her weight?

Did you know that male ants are about half the size and weight of a warrior ants and all he does in his life his making babies with the queen?

15. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] Did you know that Secret of Evermore kicks butt?

(Really, it's great. Old school RPGs. Beats BGII any day.)

16. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Did you know that the Peter Jackson, the director of the Lord Of The Rings also made a film in 1989 (among other films) call Meet The Feebles which has been described as "the Muppets on acid"

This is one of the sickest movies I've seen in a long time. http://www.ween.net/feebles/index2.html

17. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Did you know that of all the CD's in my room, there is a total of 80600MBs of storage? (Considering they are all 650MB disks)

Did you also know just by touching a single pin on a CPU could destroy it?

Did you know that certain cars run better with a lower octane fuel than the higher ones, despite what the dealer or the manual says? (My car says it runs best with 89 octane or higher, but according to my mechanic/friend who has been working at Honda/Acura for the past 35 years, my car runs better, and gets better gas mileage with 87 or lower octane.) :rolling:

18. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Man I have so many of these weird facts. In the hospital we played this trivia game where we'd come up with weird questions based on obscure facts and the other teams had to try and guess the answer. (It was point based of course) I ruled at that simply because I have a better memory than usual and can remember things well.

So anyways, did you know that the average (American) person spends a total 2 weeks of their life waiting for the traffic light to change?

Did you know that sea turtles actually breathe normal air but can hold their breath up to 4 hours?

Did you know that C.S. Lewis was atheist but J.R. Tolkein (amongst others in the Inklings) converted him to Christianity?

Did you know that factory workers do a better job when classical music is played in the background (Like Mozart and Beethoven) but they have a much better morale when they listen to their own music? On that note, did you know that rap actually causes them to make more mistakes? And continuing on with that did you know that certain cows will produce more milk depending on what music is being played but it's different for almost every cow? (I "knew" a cow that loved Elvis Presley music and another that liked Alannis Morsette.) And the same goes for different plots of wheat/corn. Some plots grow really well if Garth Brooks music is played but others of the same type (and area) won't grow extra special just because of Garth Brooks music but will react to Barbara Strisand.... Weird huh? I mean. . . WEIRD

Okay I'm going to stop now before I start telling even stranger stuff I know.

19. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Did you know that last week in holland some supermarket personell kicked and hit some woman to death because they thought she stole something?

Did you know that today the police announced she actually hadn't stole anything?

Did you know that the netherlands is in a downward spiral as of late?

20. Baldrak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] This is completely :yot: , but I also think something is seriously wrong in the netherlands.

Maybe I'll start a thread in AoDa about this, but felt I had to react to Apeman's post.

Since the elections of may 2002 some people think that because you are allowed to say anything you want, you should without ever thinking about the possible consequences of your words. Half a year ago in Amsterdam some supermarket personel decided to take the law into their own hands and molest a thief, instead of handing him over to the police. Some politicians claimed the guys to be heroes because "they finally did something" and one of the members of the royal family even offered to pay thier fines should they be convicted. The message coming from the politicians and the Prince was: It is not a bad thing to be play judge yourself and molest a thief. The result is that a supposed thief was killed by some kids...

so much for my rant, just had to get it off my chest... it can be so difficult to not be cynical about the human race...

edit: removed some typos

[ October 11, 2003, 09:32: Message edited by: Baldrak ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.