1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New ad code testing - check if you spot issues!

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] We've implemented the latest ad code for pre-download video ads since several people have complained about the ads not appearing for them on the download pages and consequently not being able to access the downloads.

Here's an example download page: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/dl.php?s=BG&f=BG/BG1Walkthrough.zip

Please check it out and let me know if the ad appears for you and if you can access the download after the ad plays out.

2. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

I've tried it both logged in an not logged in (as a guest), and both times, I get to the page, there's no ad, and I'm able to download the file. Hope that helps.

3. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Same here ... no ad, download works fine.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ah, if you're logged in as SPS account holder on the site you'll see no ad. You'd need to be logged out of the SPS account (not board account - the SPS is a separate login box on the site) to test this.

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I downloaded SCS this morning. I watched a 17 second "message from our sponsor" and then was able to download the file.

Not SCS, the ToB patch.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  6. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Okay, I logged out of the main and tried again, and I got to see two ads - one static ad for .pdfs that seemed to play in a video generally centered on the screen above the download link, and a video ad on the left sidebar that had no audio. The download worked after the .pdf thing finished, but the soundless video ad kept playing as well - something involving a quasi news reporter.

As a side note, the ad on/off interface is a bit cludgy IMO ... you can only set your preference upon logging in? So if I want to change that for whatever reason, and I'm already logged in (which I think would be the default condition), I have to log out first, then log back in, then click the little help button to see definitions for what ad level I actually want. :bad:

7. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I can open the page and download the walkthrough.

But I see two static ads on the download page (one for how to lose 11 kilos in 3 weeks on top and one saying I am visitor #1,000,000 on the left). I take it that is the intended functionality even if I am logged on as an SPS member on both SP and BoM?

8. Taluntain

Media:
    Gaear, we've only changed the central (we still need to center it, yes) pre-content video ad, the square on the left and the banner on top use the same code as the ads on the rest of the site, so those aren't relevant. The sound is usually activated on mouseover on such ads.

And yes, what you mentioned is on the redo to-do, it really is clunky. The plan is to recode the entire site once we've moved to XenForo and also ditch the secondary SPS login, tying it to the board accounts instead.

9. Taluntain

Media:
    The amount of ads you see is tied to the ad display level (1, 2 or 3) that you set in the SPS login box - there's a help link explaining the levels. At maximum level (3), you should see no ads, but the lower levels only disable the central pre-download video ad.

Montresor likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.