1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout Combat System: how does it work?

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by Enagonios, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Stupid question, but I can't figure out how the combat system here works. I really want to play it because so many people say it's good (that and I've already bought it :rolleyes: ) but I can't figure out the movement/combat system :|

2. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Well, it is a turned based combat. When combat is started (either by an enemy attacking you or yourself), each combatant gets turns to attack, run or whatever. What you can do in a turn is decided by how many action points you have. The action points are decided by your agility score (10 agility points = 10 action points, 8=8 (tip: always make your character with 10 points in agility)) and also by perks that you can choose once every 4 levels (I think). The main perk for that is "Action Boy", which gives you one extra action point. There is also another perk that gives you two action points, but they can only be used for moving.

Each action that you can take will consume action points, some actions more than others. Big guns, for example, will consume more AP's than say a pistol. Accessing your inventory during combat costs 4 AP's, unless you have the perk that reduces it to two. When you are in your inventory however, you can reload your weapon (which would cost 2 action points if you were not in your inventory) and take stimpaks (which heals you) as well as taking other substances (like drugs) and dropping things to the ground. So accessing your inventory during combat may be wise if you need to do a lot of things.

During combat, you can right-click with your mouse to change the pointer to three different things. The hexagon moves your character, the crosshair lets you choose which enemy to attack, and the arrow can be used to gather information by clicking at something (if you hold the click, you will get several other options (most of them being your skills, like lockpicking or repair).

You can right click on the weapon to change what it does (like aiming for a specific bodypart (Fallout 2 only?), or reloading)(if you have no weapon in the visible slot, it means you can fight with your feet or hands). The weapon slot will say what it is that it does (like "shoot") and how many action points it will use.

If you press space during combat, it means that you will end your turn. If you have any action points left (which you will have if you can press space...) those action points will be converted to armor class points untill your next turn. So if you have 10 ac and 3 AP's left, and press space, your armor class will be raised to 13 untill your next turn.

If you press enter during combat, you will attempt to end combat. If you accidentally have press the weapon button and thus opened combat mode, you can press enter to end combat mode. I think enter also opens combat mode, if you are not in it.

Keep in mind that Fallout and Fallout are very similar, but F2 offers a few more things, and is in my opinion, the better game. Fallout 1 still kicks ass though.

3. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    If you want my advice on character stats on creation, str 6 per 8 end 6 int 7 chr 7 ag 7 luck 6. That is if you take the trait gifted. You get +1 to all stats. 10 ag, is a waste as *spoiler*

you can get a +1 to the ag stat later in the game.

4. Slowpoke Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Actually, 8 AG = 9 AP, which means that normally you'll need to spend 2 stat points for one AP, which IMHO isn't worth it.
    If you're playing Fallout 1 (see spoiler), you're better off taking Gifted and Small Frame, leaving your AG at 9 and putting the rest of the points in stuff like PE (or even IN, to offset the Gifted penalty).

5. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I don't tend to gowith small frame, normally I go with fast shot. Unless you want to be a hand to hand, they will effectively do the same thing, with fast shot reducing shooting weapons by 1 action point. So you have to decide, do you want called shots, or more carry weight.

6. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

Fast shot pwns, I always take that one. Two bursts with Boozar (in F2) per turn (and a reload later on) outdoes anything.

7. Slowpoke Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Yes, Fast Shot is teh pwn. In Fallout 2. Fallout 1 doesn't have teh hardkore auto weapons, so I find Small Frame to be the superior choice (called shots with the AB severely r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz, despite the pitiful range of said weapon).

Edit: And carry weight is a non-issue (in F1) since your followers have infinite capacity.

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

thanks guys, this helps me out a lot, especially to bahir for taking the time to write that long explanation. i found this build on a site, would this be good? i don't plan to consult a walkthrough except now during char creation.

Initial stats: ST 6, PE 8, EN 4, CH 2, IN 9, AG 9, LK 9.

Traits: Finesse, Gifted.

Perk progression: Level 3 Awareness, level 6 Bonus Move, level 9 Bonus Rate of Fire, level 12 Better Criticals, level 15 Action Boy, level 18 Sniper, level 21 Action Boy.
    Tag skills: Small Guns, Lockpick, Speech.

9. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

Not sure if you need 9 luck... although it will probably help a lot of times in the game.

I usually take something like this:

ST 6, PE 7, EN 6, CH 6, IN 9, AG 9, LK 4

10. Incarnate Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Take 8 luck if you really want, you might be able to raise your luck by 2 at a certain point ,and called shots rule :) killing enemies in one shot with a sniper rifle long before they can reach you is :evil: and fun :D

11. Mongerman Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Fast shot doesnt allow you to make aimed shots, and there is nothing like a bullet between the eyes for massive dmg.

12. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

But an extra shot per turn more than makes up for that. Besides, the best weapons in this game are big guns, such as Boozar, with which you can't even aim anyway, but you still get one AP less on them with Fast Shot.

13. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Like you need a 'best' gun for fallout anyway. It's all about preference. Some people are all lyrical about Fast Shot and some just like aimed shots. Me, I like aimed shots, because they give critical hits for ludicrous damage and funny messages.
    Priceless.

14. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Especially fun with the Sniper perk, since if you make the right stats you will always critical hit.

Exploding bodies everywhere.

15. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I prefer Gauss rifles with all the sniper or similar perks I can get.

16. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I agree, Gauss Rifle plus sniper perk plus 10 luck is critical hit every single time you hit. Of course with a critical hit every time you don't really need Aimed shot anymore, so go for fast shot.

17. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

The problem with Gauss rifles is that the ammo is very hard to come by. The only place you can buy it is from the merchants in San Fran, and they usually don't restock that type of ammo very often. Luckily, the ammo lasts for a pretty long time. I usually give the Gauss rifle to Vic though, he can put it to good use while I use my Boozar.

Tip for the day; kill the guards dressed in green, after you have pickpocketed them of their Boozars, then kill the merchant in the tent. Nobody will get mad at you, and you get four of (one of) the coolest weapon(s) in the game, along with everything the merchant offered, by looting his shelfs. You can then use the tent as your own storage facility.

18. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    I actually prefer the gauss pistol, myself. It has the same range and can fire more quickly. If your small arms skill is high enough, there's really no reason to waste your time with rifle.

19. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I found both the major weapon builds very fun in their own way.

Sharp-shooter: Weapon Finesse, high luck, high perception. Go for the eye, Boo. Aimed shots are fantastic. Tremendous damage with just the hunting rifle. Deadly to anything with the sniper rifle. Once you get the plasma rifle or gauss rifle, every hit is chunking someone. I think this character has the easiest time with most encounters (especially the hand-to-hand combat in FO2).

More is better: Fast shot, high agility, high strength. You don't really care about criticals because your pumping so much lead in the enemy. The HK-P90C allows two firings AND a reload each round -- not many things survive. You can pickpocket the bozars (you don't need to kill the guys). A single round with a bozar killed Horrigan (two firings, close range).

Combat: Don't give your NPC's automatic weapons (unless your willing to reload your game). Every now and then I like to see how someone can do with weapon X -- well, on full auto usually weapon X chunks an NPC. The NPCs are not known to care about other NPCs when firing upon an enemy.

But do take the NPCs -- the XP system is not like Baldur's Gate, the NPC's have a percent change of levelling when you level. All experience is gained by the PC, it is not divided in any way.

I think for the main character you need to focus on one non-gun related fighting technique, small arms, then focus on either big guns or energy weapons. For FO2 I recommend unarmed fighting over melee weapons (just the opposite for FO1).

The other skills are what makes the game interesting and unique. A high stealing skill makes getting the bozars early possible (FO2). Doctor or science can come in real handy in both games. Sneek is a great skill to have.

Perks are the most powerful tool you have to build your character. Choose them carefully. You may want to check out gamebanshee.com's Fallout sections to look them over.

20. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I had a lot of fun with melee weapons in Fallout 2, actually, but it was no fun when you clocked someone one with that big sledge hammer and he was knocked dead two screen widths away and behind the border of the area. :shake: My first time through, I basically tried every kind of weapon in the game, but I ultimately decided to stick with small guns from some point on, but I normally used whatever I found ammo for.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.